Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
UA881 ORD-NRT upper deck. October 2012

Warm cashews

Seasonal greens salad with creamy garlic dressing. I enjoyed the salad and the dressing, the garlic bread went well with this dish.

Shrimp – not a huge shrimp fan but tasted ok to me.

Sushi – edible pcs of calf roll

Spice-rubbed breast of chicken: mustard bbq, steamed rice, mixed veggies and pickled cabbage. I did not care for this dish, veggies were blah and chicken was DRY!

Ice Cream – always the best part, I get everything besides chocolate.

Mid Flight - Turkey with cranberry cream cheese. This sandwich was pretty tasty.

Snack tray – this was the main deck snack tray, the upper deck did not have the cake out.

The raspberry brule cake was OK

Breakfast is plain and simple but I enjoy the cereal option over the eggs.

Menu pages

Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
767400, there was a very similar dinner selection on EWR-EZE the other night (sUA 763 three-class), with pasta being offered instead of Washoku Zen. Like you, I went with the chicken, and I thought it was actually very tender. The veggies were high-quality, too. I think the Chelsea (sCO) catering made a positive difference in this case. Of course the breakfast was blah, but I was really pleasantly surprised with the overall offering.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
MEX-LAX in BizFirst

Not as far as many of you are flying, but I wanted to add that according to the purser on my 10/21 flight, UA frequently caters chicken mole on this route. It was delish, and including perfectly-steamed rice, tender veggies, and the usual salad. Desert was shortbread cookies, not really my thing.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
To me sounds like a typical domestic FC experience , on the flights to Mexico they call them Business Class, but the service and seats are typical domestic FC...

Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
Not as far as many of you are flying, but I wanted to add that according to the purser on my 10/21 flight, UA frequently caters chicken mole on this route. It was delish, and including perfectly-steamed rice, tender veggies, and the usual salad. Desert was shortbread cookies, not really my thing.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
Glad to see this remained. Prior to the merger, CO often catered Latin American "International Business Class" markets with a local option. Makes for a nice change of pace.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Special order meal on 895/896

I was told by someone I met at one of the ORD UCs that there is a special order Chinese meal available on 895/896 (ORD/HKG).

I've flown this route in GF and BF several times but I never saw anyone get this meal.

Has anyone ever done this?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Glad to see this remained. Prior to the merger, CO often catered Latin American "International Business Class" markets with a local option. Makes for a nice change of pace.
Did IAH-MEX last week - though a short flight, going over the border definitely upped the meal quality versus a similar length domestic flight. Had a nice steak/chicken combo w/carrots and potatoes, along with a slice of cheesecake at the end. Definitely not getting that on a similar length LGA-ORD or the like.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was told by someone I met at one of the ORD UCs that there is a special order Chinese meal available on 895/896 (ORD/HKG)
Has anyone ever done this?
I think you spoke with a confused passenger. I've flown this route more times than I can count. As recently as early October.
I've never seen this meal, and I'd surely have ordered if so. Sorry.
Dave
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by bseller
I think you spoke with a confused passenger. I've flown this route more times than I can count. As recently as early October.
I've never seen this meal, and I'd surely have ordered if so. Sorry.
Dave
That is what I thought.

I'll be flying 895/896 in GF in a few weeks. I'll try to remember to call in and ask UA at that time.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
<preamblatory rant>
Dear FT, 1996 called and wants its search feature back. Why, oh, why, after all this time, do we not have a better in-forum search engine?
I've spent my requisite 40 mins trying to find the answer to this, because I'm sure it's close to a FAQ at this point but can't find it. I give up.

</rant>

Trying to book some Award travel in C/F for Mrs. Jet'Dillo(AKA feorlen) and myself. Flying SFO<->AKL through SYD in Feb. The UA site says "No Special Meal Offered".

I know they killed the special meals for domestic flights, but have they also eliminated them on long-haul Int'l as well ? Even in the premium cabins ? feorlen is lactose-intolerant and will need a non-dairy-infused meal option.

Last edited by Jet'Dillo; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:32 am Reason: edited to change fonts for emphasis
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I know they killed the special meals for domestic flights, but have they also eliminated them on long-haul Int'l as well ? Even in the premium cabins ? feorlen is lactose-intolerant and will need a non-dairy-infused meal option.
United Airlines special meals
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: AS 100K
not sure if this is the correct forum but as far as special meals, does UA still offer fruit plates??? i no longer see it as an option in .bomb. This was certainly one of my fave meals in flight. it was light and fresh and didnt leave me feeling bloated like airline food normally does.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Cool. Thanks!
So the "No Special Meal Available" is a .bomb artifact then ?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Cool. Thanks!
So the "No Special Meal Available" is a .bomb artifact then ?
Yes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:58 pm

I am unable to eat spices nor herbs of any kind. I recently flew UA to Europe Business Class and it said "No special meals available." I told the FA and asked her to just bring me two plain salads, rolls, and the cheese plate. She said I should have ordered a fruit plate and that they serve them all the time.

The list of United special meals (link in prior post) does not even list the fruit plate.

If anyone is successful in getting one, please post your experience.
Thanks, cb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.