Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
More relevantly, the pre-landing snack was grotesque. It was a re-heated cheeseburger, with a small fruit salad. I was in the forward section of business and only one person ate their hamburger, out of 16. It looked far worse than anything you would get at McDonalds or Burger King, let alone Wendy's. The FAs reported that they nowadays raided the economy section because everyone in C was desperate for something to eat which was not the cheeseburger. Please, please bring back the scone with clotted cream and finger sandwiches!
Careful, that's a PMCO favorite you know

(while I think it's actually a good enough burger, it's not at all worthy of being served in int'l C)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Flew EWR-HKG roundtrip last week. Overall I was fine with the quality of the food and the presentation, but I just have two issues -

1. Give the FA's details of the food they're serving. For example, the chilled appetizer is listed as "chilled appetizer" (i.e., no indication of what it is). I asked the FA what the choices were and she said one of them was beef (turned out to be ahi tuna - she had no idea and was guessing). Either one would be okay with me, but there are people who might have an issue with getting it wrong.
2. UA - bring back the online menus that CO used to have for BF meals. It was helpful to see the choices, for example when deciding what you're going to eat the meal prior to the flight.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Flew EWR-HKG roundtrip last week. Overall I was fine with the quality of the food and the presentation, but I just have two issues -
2. UA - bring back the online menus that CO used to have for BF meals. It was helpful to see the choices, for example when deciding what you're going to eat the meal prior to the flight.
+1: Online menus were helpful for planning whether to eat before boarding!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
+2 on for the online BF menus!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 am

Doug Frost, United Airlines master sommelier, tells CNN how he makes his picks

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/19/wo...ine/index.html
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Would love to hear any recent reports on Business menus IAD-Europe. I'm doing IAD-MUC in mid-October. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Given that wines 'perception' changes as a function of altitude, will there now be two sets of wine for the discerning: 787 and non-787?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I thought this was interesting. It's just a darn shame UA gives him a budget that really only accommodates crap.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
9/28 UA931 LHR-SFO Global First

PDB in plastic cups. :-(
Warm nuts/towel, etc...

Appitizer: Spicy Chicken Skewer with some sort of Shu-mai thing? Both pretty good

Soup: Creamy Carrot-Ginger (was alright, but I'm not a big carrot fan)

Salad: Very good, the tomatoes were great

Main: Chicken with Coconut-Chili sauce, rice, and baby bokchoy

Fruit, Cheese & Port:

Ice Cream:

There were also cold sandwiches during the flight, and the cheese burger before landing. Which was WAY better than the domestic version of the cheese burger.
The flight and staff were great (LHR based), maybe a bit rushed through the main service but thats ok.
There was one a**-hat who kept his shades open, pretty much blinding everyone in GF. FA's kept closing them when he was wondering around (which was often), but he kept opening them up.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Cybertronic

I understand the sad face, but to be fair, pre-departure drinks are served in plastic so that you can keep it during take off. Glassware has to be collected. That said, there are ways to create a premium looking piece of plastic glassware to add some quality to the experience.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I like that the old Tulip tumblers and stemmed wine glasses are still being used!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
It's a shame that the GF sundaes now look exactly like the pmCO (and current UA) BF sundaes, with no chocolate scoop as in pmUA.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:58 am

Warm nuts/towel, etc...

Appitizer: Spicy Chicken Skewer with some sort of Shu-mai thing? Both pretty good

There were also cold sandwiches during the flight, and the cheese burger before landing. Which was WAY better than the domestic version of the cheese burger.
The flight and staff were great (LHR based), maybe a bit rushed through the main service but thats ok.
There was one a**-hat who kept his shades open, pretty much blinding everyone in GF. FA's kept closing them when he was wondering around (which was often), but he kept opening them up.
How they think fried Costco dumplings are more premium for Global First than smoked seafood, dried beef, etc that they serve now in business is a head scratcher.

Not complaining - when CO switched from the lobster/salmon et al to those dumplings a few years ago in Biz First wasn't thrilled but glad they are back.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 5, 2012 at 6:11 am Reason: images
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MileCards
How they think fried Costco dumplings are more premium for Global First than smoked seafood, dried beef, etc that they serve now in business is a head scratcher.

Not complaining - when CO switched from the lobster/salmon et al to those dumplings a few years ago in Biz First wasn't thrilled but glad they are back.
YMMV. I preferred the 3-hot-appetizer cart to the current cold-plate setup, which is basically a slight upgrade over the "chilled appetizer accompaniment" to the salad that they offer on the late-night BF meals from deep S Am.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In no sensible world would a re-heated cheeseburger be considered First Class. Also, and off topic, one of the prerogatives of having a window seat is being able to look out of the window - and enjoy the daylight for reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.