Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by smichelm
Yulie- I know that the DXB route always offers Halal options, so if you're worried about the availability of kosher items, Id venture to say that there shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks- you are right, kosher option is available, so I was explorting whether I have to go with that or will there be sufficient items on the menu to avoid shelfish, pork etc. For example, the soup that I often see on this thread is the shellfish soup... just interested what is the regular spread on this route to see if Kosher will offer me more choices.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For added discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the United Airlines forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by belugalove
I look forward to hearing about it. If you remember, please pass along the wines/champagnes on offer as well....this is most important

I should have clarified; my wife is vegetarian, but I am not, so thats why I was asking about the Japanese meal quality vs. western options.

Again, is a vegetarian option always on the menu or does it need to be pre-ordered?
OK so my apologies because I didn't save the menu as I had intended. I was groggy after the flight.

The appetizers were basically several pieces of sushi, a spring roll-like wrapped shrimp and chicken satay. The soup was a vegetable soup using a tomatoe base - very good. The main meal options were a filet mignon with the asiago cheese potatoe-thing; sea bass; Japanese meal (forget all the components); pasta. If your wife is vegetarian then I would pre-order the specialized meal - don't risk not having a vegetarian option.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
PEK -> SFO in C this week, the chicken entree was terrible. It was like a soggy piece of KFC's standard fare except with less flavor. Tantalizing.

Also, why is the garlic bread so bad on UA?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by ainternational
PEK -> SFO in C this week, the chicken entree was terrible. It was like a soggy piece of KFC's standard fare except with less flavor. Tantalizing.

Also, why is the garlic bread so bad on UA?
PEK-SFO is pretty bad, I got no reply from my comments on it so far....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Comments to UA? Yeah, good luck with that. I was pretty negative in the follow up flight survey but I don't put any stock in ever getting a response to those..

Agree with you though, others entrees looked pretty sad ex-PEK as well. Funny thing is that I generally feel food in Beijing to be underwhelming... at least they are consistent!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
After seeing your photos, I am speechless! THAT's First Class?!?! Wow!

(Thanks for sharing them as a warning for those on that route.)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comments to UA? Yeah, good luck with that. I was pretty negative in the follow up flight survey but I don't put any stock in ever getting a response to those..

Agree with you though, others entrees looked pretty sad ex-PEK as well. Funny thing is that I generally feel food in Beijing to be underwhelming... at least they are consistent!
I actually get near instant replies on my comments in most cases, regarding catering and food.

I was there on a tour and got to compare the pmCO and pmUA catering....it was night and day.

for example here is some pmCO catering from a couple days before, it is only on the EWR route at this time:

oh seasoning!

A simple egg and tomato chinese dish, it was a right highlight, and uses a corn and wheat noodle (corn inside wheat outside) that made for wonderful texture.

bean curd chicken, also very good....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:32 am

I actually get near instant replies on my comments in most cases, regarding catering and food.
Glad to hear they respond to someone.

No offense or anything, I'm glad you feel the food tasted good, but at least from where I'm sitting, it doesn't look visually too appetizing to me. Perhaps just preference on flavors and dishes is all.

I still have yet to have a pmCO meal as I only fly out of UA hubs generally.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
LAX-SYD Global First

I was very disappointed in both the food and service, especially on the return flight. Appetizers were unappetizing. The beef filet was so overcooked that it was worse than pot roast. I was asked whether I wanted cheese or ice cream for dessert. When I said I thought the menu said we got both, the FA grimaced and then he served the cheese after the ice cream. Then the FA's acted like they could hardly wait until we finished and could hide. PMCO BF was so much better in every way except for the seat.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to hear they respond to someone.

No offense or anything, I'm glad you feel the food tasted good, but at least from where I'm sitting, it doesn't look visually too appetizing to me. Perhaps just preference on flavors and dishes is all.

I still have yet to have a pmCO meal as I only fly out of UA hubs generally.
I don't care fully about visual, on a plane it isn't a place to be picky about visual, but at least not tasteless! I did hit on visual aspects however with even the pmCO dishes, as they could use some improvements.

Chinese dishes aren't the most visually appealing cuisine either, but flavor is very good. Take for instance hand pulled noodles, look is not so great but taste is wonderful!

btw there were some(pmCO) that looked better, like the abalone and prawn cold app, I don't have a pic will try to get one from the others that also attended

Last edited by Steph3n; Aug 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Lurch
PMCO BF was so much better in every way except for the seat.
Yes, except for that little "problem" of pmCO not being able to get you from SYD to LAX.

@:-)
Dave
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah and a reply, they are monitoring PEK catering situation closely after these reports of blahness and miscatering a regular thing now
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:32 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
UA 52/53 IAH-EZE Meals

Can someone confirm that there are full meals served in business after takeoff, as the schedule says 'none' and the flights depart 9PM/9:30PM
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Can someone confirm that there are full meals served in business after takeoff, as the schedule says 'none' and the flights depart 9PM/9:30PM
There will be a full dinner service after takeoff and a breakfast before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.