Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively).

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs.

- Pre-Arrival meal service- By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts

-FlyerBeek
Hey Beek,

Write a letter ASAP to customer service. All of these issues are worthy. The inflight middle-mgt team in particular, all of whom are great people IME with CO, will be on these FAs like white-on-rice for this very serious offense....and they deserve whatever they get 100%.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
UA may be lacking in the starter and wine departments in first class, but really....they are now above average when it comes to main courses thanks to the old CO BizFirst standard. And this is in business class...don't even try to compare biz class from a typical international carrier to what UA now serves in BizFirst. Unless we're talking outlers like SQ and Qatar, for business class the mains are as good as you're going to get.
I will compare - FRA-JFK in LH C, thought both the meal quality as well as presentation blew away EWR-FRA-EWR on UA C I took a month prior
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Two of these are United Business mains (actually one is from PS) in 2012. Three are from international First class on non-US carriers - KE, TG, and LH.

UA may be lacking in the starter and wine departments in first class, but really....they are now above average when it comes to main courses thanks to the old CO BizFirst standard. And this is in business class...don't even try to compare biz class from a typical international carrier to what UA now serves in BizFirst. Unless we're talking outlers like SQ and Qatar, for business class the mains are as good as you're going to get.
I have flown several PMCO C-clas segments this year and PMUA in F and I can tell you that United food sucks! I have no idea what you are talking about, but even Delta serves much better food, let alone AF and KL (which was actually outstanding) and LX.
Not even in the old days was CO as good as LX and with the new UA it is more like PMUA and not PMCO.
I consider UA C-class and F-class food to be at the bottom of the list for the airlines I usually fly (UA, LH, LX, AF, KL, DL).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I have flown several PMCO C-clas segments this year and PMUA in F and I can tell you that United food sucks! I have no idea what you are talking about, but even Delta serves much better food, let alone AF and KL (which was actually outstanding) and LX.
Not even in the old days was CO as good as LX and with the new UA it is more like PMUA and not PMCO.
I consider UA C-class and F-class food to be at the bottom of the list for the airlines I usually fly (UA, LH, LX, AF, KL, DL).
The point I'm making is just the main course. UA sucks on app, salad, after dinner, wine, etc. But the mains are big, and if you order chicken or fish, generally juicy and tasty on a full sized dinner plate as opposed to a small casserole dish. This is all post 6/1.

Did you see those LH, TG, and KE first class mains? Paltry and uninspired, all from the last year. That's what's passing for international first class mains. Maybe UA should cut the portions of its mains to invest in the starters and wines...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The point I'm making is just the main course. UA sucks on app, salad, after dinner, wine, etc. But the mains are big, and if you order chicken or fish, generally juicy and tasty on a full sized dinner plate as opposed to a small casserole dish. This is all post 6/1.

Did you see those LH, TG, and KE first class mains? Paltry and uninspired, all from the last year. That's what's passing for international first class mains. Maybe UA should cut the portions of its mains to invest in the starters and wines...
I have to join the others in disagreement. I just completed TATL and TPAC trips in First. UA, LH, and TG. UA catering was by far sub-par compared to the other 2 carriers, including the entrees. Hell, I was in C class on TG and the Appetizers and Salad course blew away the main that I was served on UA First...both in quantity and quality.

UA has made some improvements of late, but I can't say they are leading the industry by any means....

Of course, with food service everyone has differing opinions and experiences...so not saying you are incorrect, just not the same as my experience.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If you're looking for an outstanding epicurean experience, there are hundreds (thousands) of restaurants all around the world, within reach of every budget, that blow the doors off even the best airline food available. So, in light of that fact, and considering all that is wrong with the present iteration of United Airlines, I have to say that their international premium cabin meal service is one things they get right. Not the best in the world by any stretch, but it's a competitive offering if greasy, high-calorie, fat-laden sodium bombs are your thing. Those items tend to reheat well in an airplane galley and are generally crowd pleasers.

IMO, there's a time and a place for everything...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.

LH mains don't need to be as big because of the large amount of amuse bouche, appetizers etc. These pics were taken last week. The photos on the left are Lufthansa, the photos on the right are United. Lufthansa was in first and United was in global first to and from Japan. The last photo are all Lufthansa since United doesn't offer these.

Appetizers
This should be an embarrassment for United.

Salads
Very bland salad from United and the one from LH was fresh, crisp and delish.

Mains
The Lufthansa pork was the best main dish I have had on an airplane.

Desserts

Additional LH options
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
What I do not understand is why the soft product (IFE and catering) in global first and business first is the same. On my recent LAX-SYD in F trip the food was similar to but not quite equal to that in the old CO BF and it was the same that served in C on the same flight. At least stick a flower on the tray to make it different for an advertised price difference of 10K.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
If you're looking for an outstanding epicurean experience, there are hundreds (thousands) of restaurants all around the world, within reach of every budget, that blow the doors off even the best airline food available. So, in light of that fact, and considering all that is wrong with the present iteration of United Airlines, I have to say that their international premium cabin meal service is one things they get right. Not the best in the world by any stretch, but it's a competitive offering if greasy, high-calorie, fat-laden sodium bombs are your thing. Those items tend to reheat well in an airplane galley and are generally crowd pleasers.

IMO, there's a time and a place for everything...
This is true, however, when other airlines meals are far better then the crap that UA serves then there is a problem. In fact UA has known this for a while.. So since we are comparing apples to apples it is fair to say that UA meals whether domestic or international just plain suck...

Originally Posted by jetboy787
LH mains don't need to be as big because of the large amount of amuse bouche, appetizers etc. These pics were taken last week. The photos on the left are Lufthansa, the photos on the right are United. Lufthansa was in first and United was in global first to and from Japan. The last photo are all Lufthansa since United doesn't offer these.

Appetizers
This should be an embarrassment for United.

Salads
Very bland salad from United and the one from LH was fresh, crisp and delish.

Mains
The Lufthansa pork was the best main dish I have had on an airplane.

Desserts

Additional LH options
This shows that LH soft product rivals some of the best resturants in the world...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 15, 2012 at 7:42 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I don't have much experience flying UA 747s internationally, but last week I flew UA893 (SFO-ICN) on the upper deck (seated in 15K - roughly midway through the cabin) and encountered a whole host of meal service issues. I'm curious if these are related to sitting in the upper deck (which I thought was desirable) or particular to this flight crew.

- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively). Are the upper deck's entrees entirely segregated from those available on the lower deck? It would seem there should be some coordination between both decks when taking orders, no? I requested to pre-order my prior-to-arrival entree choice, but was told it wasn't possible unless I was a GS.

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs. Instead I was offered a refill of red wine with no offer to get the Port from downstairs. Are passengers expected to walk downstairs to get particular beverage choices?

- Pre-Arrival meal service - didn't begin until approximately 40 minutes before landing, just as we started our descent. By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals and only had the tray setup (with fruit, yogurt, and bread) remaining. It wouldn't have really mattered anyways, because three minutes later the tray was picked up before I was finished as the pilots requested the cabin be prepared for landing. Do they not cater enough pre-arrival meals so everyone can at least have something? Again, is this something specific to the upper deck (perhaps meal storage limitations?).

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts, though this seemed to be isolated to my seat and didn't affect the rest of the upper deck.

I don't mean to rant - just curious if this kind of service is the norm for those seated on the upper deck?

-FlyerBeek
You did not get a bad crew, you had a horrible crew. I would certainly complain. You might get a cert or miles, but UA definitely needs to know about this.

Just disgraceful. Stuff like this could be so easily fixable if management decides to do something.

This most certainly would not have happened on OZ. (On the flip side, OZ would serve the second meal no later than 2 hours before landing, too early for my taste. Then there's KE, who served the second meal 5 hours before landing on my A380 LAX-ICN flight, and then absolutely nothing afterward. First and only time I needed to eat dinner upon arrival in Korea.)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is true, however, when other airlines meals are far better then the crap that UA serves then there is a problem. In fact UA has known this for a while.. So since we are comparing apples to apples it is fair to say that UA meals whether domestic or international just plain suck...
That's a subjective determination. I certainly don't think the international meals 'suck' at all, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

This shows that LH soft product rivals some of the best resturants in the world...
Again, subjective. LH has a good soft product (not as good as it used to be) in their F cabin, but to say it rivals some of the best restaurants in the world is a gigantic stretch. As for their C product, I disagree.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:13 am

Flying BF on UA 928 ORD-LHR. Anybody have any updated info on what menu items to expect?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don't have much experience flying UA 747s internationally, but last week I flew UA893 (SFO-ICN) on the upper deck (seated in 15K - roughly midway through the cabin) and encountered a whole host of meal service issues. I'm curious if these are related to sitting in the upper deck (which I thought was desirable) or particular to this flight crew.

- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively). Are the upper deck's entrees entirely segregated from those available on the lower deck? It would seem there should be some coordination between both decks when taking orders, no? I requested to pre-order my prior-to-arrival entree choice, but was told it wasn't possible unless I was a GS.

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs. Instead I was offered a refill of red wine with no offer to get the Port from downstairs. Are passengers expected to walk downstairs to get particular beverage choices?

- Pre-Arrival meal service - didn't begin until approximately 40 minutes before landing, just as we started our descent. By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals and only had the tray setup (with fruit, yogurt, and bread) remaining. It wouldn't have really mattered anyways, because three minutes later the tray was picked up before I was finished as the pilots requested the cabin be prepared for landing. Do they not cater enough pre-arrival meals so everyone can at least have something? Again, is this something specific to the upper deck (perhaps meal storage limitations?).

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts, though this seemed to be isolated to my seat and didn't affect the rest of the upper deck.

I don't mean to rant - just curious if this kind of service is the norm for those seated on the upper deck?

-FlyerBeek
This has me concerned. Flying SFO-SYD-SFO on the UD in a few weeks. My recollection was that meal service proceeded in parallel on upper and lower decks w separate staff, so you had a pretty similar shot at choices and similar timing on either deck. Is this not the case any more?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I honestly do not pay much attention to the meal service execution, but in many experiences with UD 747 TPAC on UA, I have not had the type of issues related up thread.

I believe the catering is loaded separately from the downstairs and I do not think there is any special coordination between the 2 cabins for entree choices. The UD is treated as its own cabin, so it would be possible to be told they are out of a meal choice while the downstairs C cabin had some available.

A good crew might try to check and accommodate, but based on the other details provided, this did not appear to be a good crew.

I would not let this one rouge crew cause any concern about future travel in the UD. Much better for a quiet ride and usually the service is fine.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
That's a subjective determination. I certainly don't think the international meals 'suck' at all, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Again, subjective. LH has a good soft product (not as good as it used to be) in their F cabin, but to say it rivals some of the best restaurants in the world is a gigantic stretch. As for their C product, I disagree.
Ok "suck" was not the correct word, how about horrible. When comparing F to F, LH presentation, attention to detail and over all quality is better then UA. I can not believe (even though you work for UA) would come on this public forum and say other wise. The photos show that LH has a better soft product. Why does UA have two first products? They have Global First and BF, why?

When it comes to J product, I was not that impressed with UA, I have flown J on UA, BA and AC, both BA and AC was far better then UA's product in the air and on the ground, but keep telling yourself that UA has a product that rivals the European airlines... The important people the ones that spend money know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.