Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Kurt - Thank you for your excellent report and photos, "CO" BF. I note champagne was "Heidsieck & Co Monople Blue Top NV 2009/2010". UA was not offering this last month. Is this because this is a "CO" route, or is this the champagne for June, I wonder?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I think it is because it is a CO route, with CO service, even though it was marketed as UA.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:51 pm
PPM

What is the current status of special request meals in paid C class? My current itinerary between ORD and China says "No special meal offered". I haven't called yet, but does anyone know the scoop? I want a vegan meal, and my understanding was these are no longer offered on domestic flights, but are are international.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:27 am

I flew SYD-SFO in C last weekend .

Apart from a few minor hiccoughs - the new business offering was a real improvement. Service seemed better and the food was a bit tastier and of better quality.

Still no choice of pre take drinks and still the offer of some undrinkable of some undrinkable sparkling wine as champagne but otherwise i was impressed.

Nice touch getting both the cheese plate plus the desert .My icecream with fudge and caramel sauce and nuts was brilliant.

Choices for breakfast also improved with a cold plate now one of the options.

Green tea was available.

To top it off I flew JFK to ZRH on Swiss 2 days later and the food on offer was no where as good as that on United.

So if sustained , this is a real improvement.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Kurt great photos! When was your flight? I noticed the old amenity bag in your photos. Was the prior to 1 June?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Post 225 would seem to indicate May 2.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by XUPhilly
Global First IAD-GVA "new" service.

2 comments-

1. there goes the hot breakfast
2 the menu items look suspiciously similar to the old Continental BusinessFirst items.

The upgrades to F to make it feel special are, in reality, simple...but expensive.

Applying the 80/20 rule; *great* wine and caviar would get UA the super-majority of the respect it would need to say it has legitimately upgraded its F product and both of those items require very little labor and 0.0 cooking/real food pre

Even if they have dialed back the F food to pretty much match J....with those two added extras, they'd be ok.

Instead it's looking like they have not done anything noteworthy in F and that our $$$ is much better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Jun 8, 2012 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kurt

I decided to live dangerously and have the cioppino (I had it one on a UA flight HKG-SFO and it made me VERY sick); it turned out to be delicious.
Not sure I could eat the same dish I had identified as getting me sick. I can't be sure, but I think the John Dory I had PEK-IAD may have had a similar bad effect. I'll choose differently next time.

BTW, I think it's been debated on these boards, but you might want to blur out the visible faces (other than the FA) in the first picture.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
The upgrades to F to make it feel special are, in reality, simple...but expensive.

Applying the 80/20 rule; *great* wine and caviar would get UA the super-majority of the respect it would need to say it has legitimately upgraded its F product and both of those items require very little labor and 0.0 cooking/real food pre

Even if they have dialed back the F food to pretty much match J....with those two added extras, they'd be ok.

Instead it's looking like they have not done anything noteworthy in F and that our $$$ is much better spent elsewhere.
Couldn't agree more. Had a comical exchange with Global Services email desk today over this. I mentioned my disappointment over the lack of choice on 2nd meal service (hot breakfast gone and no choice westbound) and they tried to sell this as an upgrade that BusinessFirst was being brought up to the GlobalFirst standards. I tried to point out that old Continental BusinessFirst offered essentially the same exact menu as "new" GlobalFirst but my point was ignored. Folks we are now paying for a bigger seat and a bowl of soup. Great enhancement- especially when AA added pajamas and turn down service- we get... Well nothing.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by XUPhilly
Folks we are now paying for a bigger seat and a bowl of soup. Great enhancement- especially when AA added pajamas and turn down service- we get... Well nothing.
As only the World's Leading Airline can deliver.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Well, technically they took the bowl of soup away from BF, you're paying for the seat and CO's old BF service. Or, hopefully, not paying for that
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Flying SFO to NRT this week in C. Any experiences with the "new" menus? Are they in place yet?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Well, technically they took the bowl of soup away from BF, you're paying for the seat and CO's old BF service. Or, hopefully, not paying for that
It's pretty frustrating.

Champagne and caviar, though >$/unit, is all it takes to make this product respectable...
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:52 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
PMUA's policy for several years was hot breakfast only on West Coast to Europe flights. Chicago and East Coast to Europe always had continental cold breakfast.

On the other hand, you do now get a hot breakfast option on Europe to East Coast flights leaving early morning.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Flew 881 NRT-SIN in Global First on June 9, and there was no soup, no cheese, and the short rib that is one of my favorite dishes on PMCO routes was dry and almost inedible. Maybe the reduced course load was the norm on NRT-SIN pre-6/1, although I'm not sure why, as this is a 7-hour flight in prime dinner hours (555 pm - 1155 pm). In any event, this service was nothing special and a big downgrade compared to my earlier flight the same day in BF IAH-NRT. No amenity kit either, just a la carte eyeshades, earplugs and toothbrush/paste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.