Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well according to the UA web site, they are selling it has BF flight, booking into "P" fare. But the seat map shows a domestic FC set 2-2-2 seating. The seats might not be true BF, but I'm sure the meal service will be true BF. Lets us know.. AA flys to LIM with a 757 with really a domestic meal service.

Originally Posted by zitsky
Can anyone clarify, is South America treated as International for the purpose of meal and alcohol selection? I've seen conflicting information. I'm going down IAH-LIM in November on the 767. Can I expect sparking wine and the same quality food as other international destinations?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by jazzhou
How come the images of the dishes in this thread all look better than the actual First or Business class meals I have had?
I think UA_Flyer is really a food stylist.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I think UA_Flyer is really a food stylist.
I'd be tempted to agree if it weren't for the fact that pretty much all of his pictures are superb ...
Old May 27, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I guess you must be the guy I talked to when getting off the plane at GIG and at baggage claim. Small world. Great game last night, btw! ^ Rupp should get a game, but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm glad I chose the salmon then. It was reasonably good. The tough part was not getting wine spilled all over me with the light/moderate chop throughout dinner.
Just saw this! Glad the devils pulled it out, I'll be back in time for game 2 :-)
Old May 27, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I'd be tempted to agree if it weren't for the fact that pretty much all of his pictures are superb ...
Yes, but consider the subject matter that s/he is working with ...
Old May 31, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
LHR to EWR IN F

Nuts
Shrimp Scampi, spring rolls and Mushroom soup
Salad with passion fruit or vinegrette dressing
Bread (YUMMY Pretzel bread my favorite in the bread basket)
Choice of
Chicken with coconut chile sauce or San Fransisco fish stew or lamb steak or ravioli stuffed with cheese filling and savory tomato sauce
Ice cream or cheese plate

Later
Cookies

Before landing
Swissburger or fruit plate

Wine was never offered and no wine glasses on the tray. That surprised me. I had the chicken and it was very very overdone and dry. I just covered it in sauce and ate it. It tasted okay when it was covered in sauce.
The best thing was the delicious ice cream with Carmel sauce and my two double Bailey's on the rocks. Oh and the coffee and grapes were good too. ^
Old May 31, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just remembered to finally mention --

My favorite part of the TPAC F experience on UA is the dark chocolate covered pretzels in the snack basket mid flight. Those are better than the meal often times IMHO.

Hunt them down and find them early, they go fast!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
PEK-IAD

PEK-IAD, Mid-may, business class:

To begin
Chilled appetizer: Duck and mushroom galantine and marinated shrimp with crudites and garnishes.

Fresh seasonal greens: Cucumber, red bell pepper, and fava beans with your choice of creamy ginger dressing or balsamic vinaigrette.

Main course
Pan-seared Filet Mignon, herbed red wine sauce, Dijon mustard mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach and pumpkin.

Pan-seared Fillet of Dory, tomato, basil, and caper relish, saffron jasmine rice and vegetable caponata.

Braised Chicken with Oyster Sauce and Black Mushrooms, jasmine rice with egg and Chinese mixed vegetables.

To finish
International cheese selection

Dessert (ice cream)

mid-flight sandwiches etc.

Prior to Arrival
Chicken and mushroom with puff pastry

Fresh seasonal fruit and yogurt

I had the fillet of dory, which wasn't great.

I asked for Champagne--none was on the cart, and she offered to open a bottle. It didn't appear for some time, and all I received was a glass from the galley. One refill at the end of the meal.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
BF Meals, EWR-DUB

Does anybody have an idea as to what will be served for dinner, EWR-DUB, and lunch, DUB-EWR? The old CO site used to provide the monthly BF menus. If the new consolidated UA site lists them, they are well hidden, at least from me.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
Does anybody have an idea as to what will be served for dinner, EWR-DUB, and lunch, DUB-EWR? The old CO site used to provide the monthly BF menus. If the new consolidated UA site lists them, they are well hidden, at least from me.
The new site does not list them. Just another change "you'll like."

It'll be pretty much PMCO fare: 4 choices of main, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I' not happy that UA has taken the menu's off the web site. I'm sure the "enhancements" are the reason for that....

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
The new site does not list them. Just another change "you'll like."

It'll be pretty much PMCO fare: 4 choices of main, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Global First IAD-GVA "new" service.

2 comments-

1. there goes the hot breakfast
2 the menu items look suspiciously similar to the old Continental BusinessFirst items.

Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by XUPhilly
Spring roll? Is that the same nasty spring roll that UA used to serve? I hope not.

Not having a hot breakfast for arrival blows, but what did the deli plate look like? This is a GF menu and it looks like CO's old BF menu makes me a little worried that the C food has been diluted more than we thought. At least we will know more in a few days as more of us fly and report back.

I think a more appropriate breakfast for sub 8 hours flights to EU would be a cereal or an European continental breakfast with lunch meats, warmed bread along with jam/butter, yogurt, etc. Not even having a choice is probably the most surprising part for me in the new GF meal service.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (.43 MM)
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Spring roll? Is that the same nasty spring roll that UA used to serve? I hope not.

Not having a hot breakfast for arrival blows, but what did the deli plate look like? This is a GF menu and it looks like CO's old BF menu makes me a little worried that the C food has been diluted more than we thought. At least we will know more in a few days as more of us fly and report back.

I think a more appropriate breakfast for sub 8 hours flights to EU would be a cereal or an European continental breakfast with lunch meats, warmed bread along with jam/butter, yogurt, etc. Not even having a choice is probably the most surprising part for me in the new GF meal service.
I don't think you have to worry about dilution of C food. As has been reported here for quite a while, the BF menus will be identical to GF, with the exception that appetizers in C are cold, the salad bowl may be smaller, and the soup is missing. There are a couple of other minor differences in C on 3-cabin aircraft (i.e. no choice of appetizer, cheese plate served pre-made on tray instead of from cart). Otherwise, in terms of salad ingredients, main courses, cheese, and sundaes, C gets exactly what GF gets. As I understand it, this is an upgrade for PMUA C folks. The jury is still out on PMUA F, but based on the amount of food, there doesn't seem to have been a significant change (i.e. you will never be denied both cheese and a sundae, but on shorter routes the breakfast is cold)

I am guessing that a European-style continental breakfast is more or less precisely what one receives (in both C & GF) on sub-8-hr flights, but I could be wrong. Though it is not explicitly stated on the new menu (nor on the old CO menus IIRC), the deli plate is served with yogurt, fruit, breads, and butter/jelly. On flights longer than 8 hrs, the exact same naturally accompanies the hot breakfast whether stated on the menu or not.

If I think empathetically enough, I suppose I can identify with the folks here who have very strong opinions/reactions concerning UA premium cabin catering... whether it be the inedibility of certain items (e.g. the "hockey puck eggs", cheap ice cream, terrible/nasty "Costco quality" hot apps like spring rolls), the (absurd, at first glance) stated superiority to the meal service of seemingly pedestrian items that one could obtain from any grocery shelf (chocolate-covered pretzels, Baileys, a Subway sandwich brought onboard in case the GF meal is as bad as usual), or the quality of coffee beans used onboard... But I must say that, on the whole, I have found the quality of CO (and thus now UA) meals to be very good. Perhaps my standards are low, or as a relatively poor UA leisure traveler typically paying bottom $ for my ticket and having grown up DL non-rev, maybe I am just grateful for the upgrade and/or relatively affordable TATL Z/P-fare. If I (or my employer, I suppose) were paying $6k-$15k for a TATL J/F ticket, I guess my standards would be ultra-high as well, especially given the competition.

Originally Posted by XUPhilly

2 comments-

1. there goes the hot breakfast
2 the menu items look suspiciously similar to the old Continental BusinessFirst items.
Out of curiosity, what was the nature of the "assorted petite sweets" accompanying the dessert sundae?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
And here are some photos. Food was actually good and I had a great flight attendant which made a huge difference. Verdict on food is that it's Continental BF food but better presented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.