Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Ever been given a "chicken bouquet?"

flew BF AMS-EWR on 7/21; pre-arrival meal was listed as "Chicken Bouquet." I expected a bunch of feathered chickens but sadly received some type of chicken pastry thing that wasn't quite a wrap but wasn't a sandwich, either. So much for my "chicken bouquet."
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Not sure if this overlaps anything previously posted but took some snaps of the menus from my BusinessFirst flight SFO-FRA and then GlobalFirst flight from MUC-IAD a few weeks back.

BusinessFirst, SFO-FRA:

Appetizer (aka Salad): http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0362.jpg
Main Courses, Desserts, Mid-Flight Snacks, Breakfast: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0363.jpg

I had the Pork Chop and it was actually very good. I had the eggs for breakfast and it was the same egg plate that's been served for at least the last 3-4 years on domestic F flights as well.

GlobalFirst MUC-IAD (I got more pictures of this menu):

Cover: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0536.jpg
Welcome: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0537.jpg
Appetizers: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0538.jpg
Main Courses: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0539.jpg
Dessert/Mid Flight/Prior to Arrival: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0540.jpg

The appetizer chicken skewers and puff pastries were really good. The steak was ok, but my wife's tandoori chicken was really good. I don't really remember the pre-arrival snack, may or may not have had quite a bit of wine on this flight edit: the above post describes the chicken bouquet. I still don't remember eating it so can't comment on how it was.

Overall it was pretty good. The service was top notch on both flights but the food still needed some work. I regret not getting pictures of the little lunch/snack plate we had on our Lufthansa connecting flight from FRA-MXP (just over an hour). Put United's snack basket to shame!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
NRT-IAD (GOOD for SEA/SFO/LAX/ORD routes):
UA 804
Boeing 777 (new config)
BusinessFirst
23 July 2012

TO BEGIN:
Chilled Appetizer: Shrimp, sushi and edamame

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Bell pepper, carrots and croutons with your choice of creamy peppercorn dressing or yuzu vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Pan-seared Filet Mignon
Bearnaise sauce, herbed potato wedges and broccoli with almonds

Miso-glazed Fillet of Sea Bass
Miso-sake sauce, rice cake and choy sum with oyster sauce

Ricotta and Pine Nut-filled Cannelloni
Tomato provencal and bechamel sauces, mixed vegetables and Parmesan cheese

Washoku Zen Selection
Appetizers of grilled ppper shrimp, grilled duck with burdock-flavored miso, scallop with egg, stuffed shiitake mushroom, simmered vegetable sushi roll, poached shrimp and snapper marinated in rice vinegar and buckwheat soba noodles with simmered eggplant

A main course of deep-fried salmon with mizore-an and bamboo shoot julienne, shiitake mushrooms, carrots and green beans served with steamed rice and Japanese-style pickles

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers served with Noval Fine Ruby Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Fruit and light snacks are available at any time following hte meal service. Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selections.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Mushroom Omelet
Mornay sauce, breakfast potatoes and pork sausage

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

FEATURED CHAMPAGNES AND WINES
  • Paul Dangin Brut, NV Champagne (true champagne and good tasting)
  • Burgans Albarino 2009, Rias Baixas, Spain
  • Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay 2010, Carneros
  • Santa Duc - AOP Les Bussons Cairanne 2010, Cotes du Rhone Villages
  • Cosentino The Cab 2009, Caliornia
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Contents could be better disclosed

On my recent SFO-FRA & CDG-SFO trip on UA, I experienced pretty-decent food in both Y & C. However, on the ORD-FRA segment, I chose a fish option (San Francisco-style Cioppino) that said it was Hake and Shrimp. I didn't realize it was a jambalaya sort of thing, which included muscles and, likely, scallops. Which of course I didn't spot (saw the muscles or clams or whatever, but didn't notice the scallops). Me and scallops, we don't get along. I was hungry, it tasted good...

An hour or so before landing I was feeling pretty nauseous, and had a not-so-fun bathroom encounter on the plane and twice more at FRA in-between flights.

To be fair to United, the mention of shrimp along probably was good enough to scare off most with any sort of shellfish issues. For me, shrimp & prawns aren't an issue. Scallops? Another thing entirely.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
On my recent SFO-FRA & CDG-SFO trip on UA, I experienced pretty-decent food in both Y & C. However, on the ORD-FRA segment, I chose a fish option (San Francisco-style Cioppino) that said it was Hake and Shrimp. I didn't realize it was a jambalaya sort of thing, which included muscles and, likely, scallops. Which of course I didn't spot (saw the muscles or clams or whatever, but didn't notice the scallops). Me and scallops, we don't get along. I was hungry, it tasted good...

An hour or so before landing I was feeling pretty nauseous, and had a not-so-fun bathroom encounter on the plane and twice more at FRA in-between flights.

To be fair to United, the mention of shrimp along probably was good enough to scare off most with any sort of shellfish issues. For me, shrimp & prawns aren't an issue. Scallops? Another thing entirely.
Cippino does not have Scallops in it, and if UA is going to call it San Francisco style, then UA should stick to the original Recipe. Sorry you got sick...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Business meals for DME to IAD

Anyone flown this lately and know the current main selections for a 12:50 Pm departure
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:58 am

I meant DME to IAD
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:39 am

DME Moscow to IAD Buisness food menu

Has anyone flown this route recently and know what the main course selections are and what pre arrival meals are offered?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

Allergies aside, seafood and airplanes don't mix well because of storage, handling, preservation and other issues. I avoid it on planes.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by martinplas
Has anyone flown this route recently and know what the main course selections are and what pre arrival meals are offered?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Cippino does not have Scallops in it, and if UA is going to call it San Francisco style, then UA should stick to the original Recipe. Sorry you got sick...
I can't guarantee that it had scallops, just as I cannot state with certainty exactly which shellfish make me sick. The only thing I can be reasonably sure of is that Prawns and Shrimp do not.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Allergies aside, seafood and airplanes don't mix well because of storage, handling, preservation and other issues. I avoid it on planes.
Agreed!

I should also clarify that I do not necessarily have an "allergy" in the sense most people relate to. Certain shellfish make me nauseous and, with no more gentle way to say it, in need of an airsick bag. But it passes within 4-5 hours or so. It's more like a toxic reaction, perhaps similarly to me & yellow jackets. If I get bit/stung by a yellow jacket, about a day later whatever was stung will swell up hugely. 4 days later, it's gone. The doctors call it a toxic reaction. It ain't pretty but that's all. Preferable I think to the shellfish issue. :-)

Finally, I had an issue on that flight with a lie-flat seat that wouldn't budge past upright (OK, the footrest worked, but that's all) and I did write UA about that. Spent $600 plus 20k for a chance to sleep, y'know? But I didn't mention the food thing 'cuz that was my bad, not United. Nevertheless, I have sympathy for those who might have "real" allergies and the fact that United doesn't fully ingredients that are known to cause issues for some.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Overall I found the "new" C-class dinner service I have seen in the last couple of months an improvement vs. PMUA, specifically

- larger salad with added ingredients (e.g. shaved parmesan)
- 4 instead of 3 main entrees of better taste
- no more cheese OR dessert; both are served in separate runs

Whilst I am very concerned of the state affairs since 3/3, in all fairness C-catering has gotten somewhat better than it was on the "old" UA.

Now the no-brainer question: would I give up those catering improvements in exchange for PMUA?
Any second, by a million miles!!!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I had the cioppino LIS-EWR a couple of months ago; it was described as:

San Francisco-style Cioppino
Stew of seared cod, scallops and shrimp in a savory sauce with roasted vegetables, potatoes and calamari

and looked like this:

It definitely had scallops.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eflyte
This has me concerned. Flying SFO-SYD-SFO on the UD in a few weeks. My recollection was that meal service proceeded in parallel on upper and lower decks w separate staff, so you had a pretty similar shot at choices and similar timing on either deck. Is this not the case any more?
I was on the UD from LAX > SYD yesterday, we were already finished breakfast by the time the lower deck got started.

Also, *wow* the food is improved. Those who complain about Sundaes being "inappropriate" for Biz class can give me theirs, it was awesome! ^^

Service was more or less indifferent - my all time favorite crews are still one of the the SFO crews that runs SFO>SYD and the LHR teams. They rock.

Cheers,
Adam

PS: Does anyone happen to know what the meal services are for the SYD > SFO return? Haven't done it yet in C, but it takes off at 14:45... So is it a Lunch/Dinner or a Lunch / Breakfast?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Tamale Stuffed Chicken with yuca -- YUM!

ORD-AMS yesterday in BF.

I am PMUA and had never had this dish before---it was killer. Very fresh and well prepared. In addition, the salad with the Buffalo Mozzarella was outstanding.

In fact, the appetizer of jumbo shrimp and salmon was unusually good as well.

This was the best food quality that I have ever seen on UA/CO in Biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.