Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I have had some disappointing meals out of PEK, much worse than HKG or especially NRT.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:57 pm

Flight/Route/Date: UA928/ORD-LHR/Aug. 7, 2012
Aircraft/Tail/Seat: 767-300/N656UA/8B
Departure Time/Duration: 6:20 p.m./8:05
Meal: Dinner/Breakfast (Snack)

This was the first time I'd had the updated service on a 3-class flight; I liked it a lot and was satisfied with the food and service. Sparkling wine, water and OJ were offered before we departed; I think full bar service was available but I did not partake.

After takeoff, warm almonds and drinks were offered. I chose some of the Paul Dangin Champagne, which I enjoyed. I don't like the new CO-style stemware, however, especially for Champagne.

The appetizer/salad course has been improved. I liked the "fancier," larger salad.

TO BEGIN

Chilled Appetizer

This was smoked salmon and a large shrimp with cocktail sauce. Nice and fresh tasting.

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Roasted tomatoes, Kalamata olives, baby mozzarella and croutons with your choice of blue cheese dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

I chose the blue cheese; the mozzarella tasted very nice. A variety of rolls, including pretzel, were served with the meal.

Flatware is a hodgepodge at the moment.

MAIN COURSE

Short Rib of Beef
Red wine sauce, aji amarillo mashed potatoes, fine green beans and carrots

Tamale-filled Breast of Chicken
Creamy corn sauce, grilled yucca and tomatoes

Grilled Salmon with Lump Crabmeat
Beurre blanc sauce, barley with vegetables, collard greens and tomatoes

I usually avoid fish, but this sounded nice. It was excellent, with a good-sized portion of crabmeat, nice, firm salmon and some really good greens. The Kunde Chardonnay was a nice accompaniment to the fish.

Tri-color Ravioli
Creamy tomato sauce and asparagus with Parmesan cheese

Executive Dining
If you prefer more time to work or relax, ask a flight attendant about our executive dining service. At you request, we will present your main meal followed by dessert in an expedited manner.

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers with Noval Fine Ruby Port

It's nice to have cheese and dessert without having to make a special request. Red Leicester, brie and another soft cheese I couldn't identify were on the plate with crackers and red grapes.

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

I indulged in a hot fudge sundae (with nuts), along with some port. I believe the other toppings were strawberry and caramel.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Chilled Deli Selection
Swiss cheese, Black Forest ham, Genoa salami and turkey

This was a nicely-sized pre-arrival breakfast; the meats and cheese were all of high quality.

FEATURED CHAMPAGNE AND WINES

Champagne

Paul Dangin Brut NV, Champagne

White Wine

Burgáns Albariño 2002, Rias Baixas, Spain

Kunde Estate-Bottled Chardonnay 2010, Sonoma Valley

Red Wine

Santa Duc – AOP Les Buissons Carianne 2010, Côtes du Rhône Villages

Trapiche Broquel Malbec 2009, Argentina

UA 08/12
IAD/ORD-LHR (LD61P - S67A)
210CO24-4
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Am I the only onethat would prefer egg and potatoes w/ sausage over a ....... Deli plate...... for a pre-arrival intl breakfast?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Am I the only onethat would prefer egg and potatoes w/ sausage over a ....... Deli plate...... for a pre-arrival intl breakfast?
Yeah it's pretty weak...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Personally, I don't care if it is an East coast to Western Europe flight since I will be stuffed from dinner and the time between dinner and breakfast is only a couple hours apart.

However, IST/DME, SFO-FRA, SFO/LAX-LHR, etc should have a full blown breakfast service.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Yeah it's pretty weak...
I understand preferences differ, etc. etc. but I find the reconstituted egg breakfasts to be pretty gross, and at least with a deli plate you know what you're gonna get (rather than mystery egg-like thing, which is what we got on pmUA).

And to head off all those that say, yeah but on a true premium airline we'd get x, y, and z, both Swiss and Lufthansa serve similar for breakfast.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
I searched this thread and others for the answers to the questions below, but couldn't find anything.

Does anybody have menu examples for lunch (IAH-HNL) or dinner (HNL-IAH)?
Since I will be on an F,C,Y 772 both ways, is there any difference bewteen F and C meals?

I realize this is an "international" thread, but I guess Hawaii is about as international a domestic flight can be. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
I understand preferences differ, etc. etc. but I find the reconstituted egg breakfasts to be pretty gross, and at least with a deli plate you know what you're gonna get (rather than mystery egg-like thing, which is what we got on pmUA).

And to head off all those that say, yeah but on a true premium airline we'd get x, y, and z, both Swiss and Lufthansa serve similar for breakfast.
Are you talking about in F or in J? I remember SFO777 posting breakfast pictures from Swiss airlines that looked like a pretty good breakfast. I know other arines have served a much better breakfast then the Deli Plate. But I have to say, a choice would be nice, for me, I would take the Deli plate, my partner would rather have the eggs.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
I searched this thread and others for the answers to the questions below, but couldn't find anything.

Does anybody have menu examples for lunch (IAH-HNL) or dinner (HNL-IAH)?
Since I will be on an F,C,Y 772 both ways, is there any difference bewteen F and C meals?

I realize this is an "international" thread, but I guess Hawaii is about as international a domestic flight can be. Thanks.
Wrong, it is still a Domestic flight.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:30 pm

I think on a longer Transatlantic flight I would prefer a hot breakfast, but from ORD or IAD to Europe I am happy with the deli plate. It's just not long enough after dinner for me to have a big appetite.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by Kurt
I think on a longer Transatlantic flight I would prefer a hot breakfast, but from ORD or IAD to Europe I am happy with the deli plate. It's just not long enough after dinner for me to have a big appetite.
+1. I was not hungry after dinner and a short sleep on my EWR-DUB flight in June. Fruit, a croissant, and the strawberry yogurt I love, would have been plenty.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
United served a Cotes-du-Rhone as their main Red and a Spanish Albarino as their main White in international first? I can pick these up at COSTCO for $12 or less. Not that there is anything wrong with these wines, but they are really totally out of place in international first. Then again, compared to what they are serving in business and economy I suppose one could somehow see this as an upgrade. Oh, I forgot, no one willing to spend $10K on an airline ticket is going to fly UA anyway so why waste Krug, Dom, and anything that might cost us more than $12 a bottle on employees and upgraders. Not that a $145 bottle of Krug justifies a $10K airfare, but come on already.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by greg
United served a Cotes-du-Rhone as their main Red and a Spanish Albarino as their main White in international first? I can pick these up at COSTCO for $12 or less. Not that there is anything wrong with these wines, but they are really totally out of place in international first. Then again, compared to what they are serving in business and economy I suppose one could somehow see this as an upgrade. Oh, I forgot, no one willing to spend $10K on an airline ticket is going to fly UA anyway so why waste Krug, Dom, and anything that might cost us more than $12 a bottle on employees and upgraders. Not that a $145 bottle of Krug justifies a $10K airfare, but come on already.
Sorry, I wasn't clear; this was Business First (aka Business Class), not Global First (aka First Class). I have a F menu with the wine selections; I will post it after I dig it out of my stuff.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:54 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by Kurt
Sorry, I wasn't clear; this was Business First (aka Business Class), not Global First (aka First Class). I have a F menu with the wine selections; I will post it after I dig it out of my stuff.
Im glad UA is now serving Krug in GF
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Personally, I don't care if it is an East coast to Western Europe flight since I will be stuffed from dinner and the time between dinner and breakfast is only a couple hours apart.
Agree. I usually prefer to rest up to landing and have some (real) breakfast upon arrival, such as in the FRA arrival lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.