Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Best Buy has a bin to recycle used "credit card style" plastic gift cards
Originally Posted by jasonvr
That's interesting. Did it force you to put the GC in the coupon box, or did it just suggest it? I ask because I now have a boatload of empty HD GCs. Not sure what to do with them!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:23 pm

That's interesting. Did it force you to put the GC in the coupon box, or did it just suggest it? I ask because I now have a boatload of empty HD GCs. Not sure what to do with them!
Originally Posted by slocouple
I stick them in my shredder and they eventually go out with the recycling.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
No, putting the GC in the box was required! Must be totally different programming outside CA!
Interesting. I actually wouldn't mind that.

Originally Posted by slocouple
I'll have to check that out. BTW, BB has fixed their shipping glitch and is back to free shipping in GCs. Also, they sell $5 GCs

Originally Posted by penner42
I stick them in my shredder and they eventually go out with the recycling.
That would be A LOT of shredding for me (95 ordered to date).
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:02 pm

Interesting. I actually wouldn't mind that.

I'll have to check that out. BTW, BB has fixed their shipping glitch and is back to free shipping in GCs. Also, they sell $5 GCs

That would be A LOT of shredding for me (95 ordered to date).
Yeah... I'm at 95 total right now between Staples and HD. The Staples ones I actually spend, though. Gonna ramp it up as soon as I get my new (0% for 7/12/12/15 months) credit cards. Gives me some time to cash them out before I have to actually pay for them. Also, gonna get around $400 in cc signup bonuses out of this, too. No way I'd have signed up for new ones without this promo. I'm gonna be cashing out HD GCs for a year. And I'll probably actually spend them on some stuff, too.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:07 pm

still nothing is crediting

still no GC are crediting from this past week for me... has anyone had any updates? these grand ideas are worthelss w/o them actually, you know, crediting to MP mall!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by pogg
still no GC are crediting from this past week for me... has anyone had any updates? these grand ideas are worthelss w/o them actually, you know, crediting to MP mall!
Nothing since 8/26 (transaction went pending), and then confirmed 9/2... I'm fairly confident, though. I'm guessing they're just seeing an unprecedented spike in orders, and are having a little trouble with it. I'm honestly not worried. That said, I did write myself a little script that checks my transactions every hour and will email me when it changes.

As far as Newegg goes, it looks like there's no limit on how many you can add to your account/use on a purchase. Right now they have a couple of software packages free after rebate for Labor Day, with free shipping. If you're not in CA (no tax), it's an easy 19 transactions. Plus some free software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832108590
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832152070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832620033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832286056

Last edited by penner42; Sep 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by pogg
Yeah, I have about 100 $10 transactions over the last week or so - and no sign of ANY of them in my MPS transactions list. I'm slightly worried...but not that much since I only spent money I knew I'd spend over the next couple of months anyway.

However, if they do post I'm going on a serious buying spree... RTW in First for the whole family!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by penner42
As far as Newegg goes, it looks like there's no limit on how many you can add to your account/use on a purchase. Right now they have a couple of software packages free after rebate for Labor Day, with free shipping. If you're not in CA (no tax), it's an easy 19 transactions. Plus some free software.
So have you used multiple NewEgg GCs all on one order? I've emailed them and they never got back to me to tell me a limit. I have something a little over $100 that I want to order, but not until I know I can apply like 12 to one transactions.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:49 pm

So have you used multiple NewEgg GCs all on one order? I've emailed them and they never got back to me to tell me a limit. I have something a little over $100 that I want to order, but not until I know I can apply like 12 to one transactions.
I used 2, and it gave no indication at all of a limit. I haven't tried more, but it certainly seems like it should work. Also, there's little risk:
If you purchase a Gift Card and request a refund within seven (7) calendar days after purchase, your refund will be credited only to the credit or debit card you used to purchase the Gift Card.
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/GiftCardTerms.aspx

So you can go ahead and try it, and if it doesn't work, ask them for refunds on the gift cards.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:17 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Confirmation

[QUOTE=johndoe123;17054311]When you regsiter you should get an e-mail " Thank you: Your Months of Miles Challenge has begun" which contains the terms of your offer. I suggest you keep/print it.

I smart enough to know to keep it / print it if I'd gotten it. The point is that I didn't get any confirmation. My husband was targeted (I have the postcard he received via snail mail), we registered him, but got no confirmation. United is unable to confirm that he's registered. In fact, they say he wasn't targeted!

So I'm keeping the postcard, and the screenshot of the monthsofmiles page that shows the "keep earning" verbiage, along with screenshots of each purchase.

Anita

Last edited by akp; Sep 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm Reason: LOL, spelled my own name wrong ;)
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by akp
So I'm keeping the postcard, and the screenshot of the monthsofmiles page that shows the "keep earning" verbiage, along with screenshots of each purchase.

Antia
That should be good enough if they try any shenanigans.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by smitty06
just ordered a bunch of hd gift cards. going to LA on business in 10 days. anyone up for hitting hd on the 13th?
are you suggesting a HD DO? lol I would be in if it were east coast

Originally Posted by akp
After reading MillionMileSecrets blog about using the link but finding out he's not registered, I realized I'd never gotten a confirmation email from United.

He did say that I should keep the postcard (!) and that I should take a screenshot of the united/monthsofmiles page where it says "Keep earning through November 20, 2011" because that will prove he's registered. I get the feeling we're going to have to fight for these miles come January Luckily, I'm good at documenting and I'm a tenacious fighter when it comes to these kinds of things.

Anita
If you got this email:

Thank you: Your Months of Miles Challenge has begun

MileagePlus

TO:
ME

(mine came on) Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:05 PM

You're registered to earn 1,000 bonus miles for every 3 partner transactions. View this online.

Add [email protected] to your address book.

Then you should be fine. IT was all graphics and little text.
If you did not get it, then yes, you need to fight them now or do it later. And if you do it later, remember the Cartera, and Gd be with you.

[QUOTE=pitcarin;17052480]
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Pitcarin, same here on the Sam's GCs. Apparently they ship the physical cards, but charging the CC is what issues the activation email. I expect that they will overcome the backlog quickly.

Akp: what did the confirmation email say? I'd say with the physical postcard + confirmation email that you're fine. MP will have to manually override whatever their system says and allow registration. MP isn't Cartera. Good attitude about being tenacious!

New data point: I called MP again for the upteempth time asking if I was registered, and once again they confirmed my registration. I hope the call was recorded.

All my "confirmed" transactions have posted to MP. QUOTE]

BKK: Ok, on Sams. That makes sense.

Re: calling MP to verify your registration: did you not receive a confirming e-mail when you registered? I am guarding mine like Ft. Knox. I am also having my confirmed transactions post (w/o bonus miles). Problem is that on the shopping, I have not had anything confirmed since Aug. 26. The dining transactions are at least showing up almost immediately even though many are still "pending", but at least I am seeing them whereas on the Shopping they are not showing up immediately.
MP is a mall
Malls stink
Dining shows up, shopping delays. Each vendor has a different relationship. Some can be relied upon. For example, I am figuring the Home Depot is ok, but sams has fallen... til someone says it's back up again.

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
That should be good enough if they try any shenanigans.
oh, we know this... but does it work?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
MP is a mall
Malls stink
Dining shows up, shopping delays. Each vendor has a different relationship. Some can be relied upon. For example, I am figuring the Home Depot is ok, but sams has fallen... til someone says it's back up again.

oh, we know this... but does it work?
I have had 37 dining transactions since this started. All but 5 are showing up as pending or posted(confirmed). Those 5 were done in the last couple of days so they should be posted soon.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pitcarin
I have had 37 dining transactions since this started. All but 5 are showing up as pending or posted(confirmed). Those 5 were done in the last couple of days so they should be posted soon.
Yes, I hope it all goes through for you and all of us! I have many outstanding purchases as well. None yet confirmed as they are too new.

But until I see things CONFIRMED on my end I will not believe. Also, I think everyone needs to see that. AND full confirmation (which I believe I have with my email I printed) of being registered for this promo.

To be honest, I will not believe in this promo til I see all miles post AND all bonuses in Jan or whenever that is.

That is why I am going into this with pure distrust... I am using it to buy my thousands of dollars in HD GCs that I need anyway. If anything I can possibly thank United for nudging me to finally get that job done in my house that me wife has been asking me to do for a while now. I need to finish my basement and that will cost lots of money and I will go to HD so I am just doing it with GCs instead of another form of payment. If I get miles from them AND this bonus, I win. If not, I will have only lost hope. So if I have less than average hope, I lose nothing. It's kinda like in the classic film, Shawhank Redemption: Red eloquently explains to Andy one day in the Shawshank Prison cafeteria that hope is a dangerous thing.

It's the only way to go into this in my opinion. Go for it, yah, but only do this to get what you are buying anyway. And then you can remain happy.

I tend to think that's how people should approach every promo in life, but that certainly doesn't mean I wont be joining the fight if and when they fail to award us the miles for all this. I'm just trying to go into it with a different mind set. And I do believe the safest bet in all this is the dining method.

So, in the end, if we do everything right and by the book, it will only be hard to recoup bonuses if we find we are dealing with obtuse, one sided, poorly managed, overwhelmed, scam-laden disorganized and impersonal agents at entities that later deny us rewards due for reasons we all may have run into on these very boards before.

Oh wait, that's what I believe we WILL be up against! Hence, my stance on HOW I am going into my massive buy-ation of multiple HD GCs.

Of course, when it comes to miles gigs, I think of myself as Andy Dufresne sometimes, and so maybe I am also currently working on holes & ways around all this as I tell the warden who is probably listening in all of the above.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
To be honest, I will not believe in this promo til I see all miles post AND all bonuses in Jan or whenever that is. [/I]
I tend to agree with you. I will end up investing a lot of money in the promo for a "perceived" payoff. None of us will know till the end. I am following the rules as closely as I can. If things don't work out, I will end up with a lot of GC's to burn and each one I use will be a painful reminder of a lot of work without the desired result.

Even if it works out, I will have invested a fair amount of cash-some of which I would have spent anyway, ie.. dining, food, shopping, etc. It is just that I had to spend the cash in advance of when I would normally have. However, I will then be sitting on a big pile of miles and will have made new UA FT friends ( I am usually an AA flyer). It is a HUGE time-consuming gamble, but one I have decided to take. I told my wife the other day "This is risky, but the odds seem to favor us. If I don't do what seems to be a sure thing, I will probably forever regret it"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.