FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Months of Miles
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:20 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pitcarin
I have had 37 dining transactions since this started. All but 5 are showing up as pending or posted(confirmed). Those 5 were done in the last couple of days so they should be posted soon.
Yes, I hope it all goes through for you and all of us! I have many outstanding purchases as well. None yet confirmed as they are too new.

But until I see things CONFIRMED on my end I will not believe. Also, I think everyone needs to see that. AND full confirmation (which I believe I have with my email I printed) of being registered for this promo.

To be honest, I will not believe in this promo til I see all miles post AND all bonuses in Jan or whenever that is.

That is why I am going into this with pure distrust... I am using it to buy my thousands of dollars in HD GCs that I need anyway. If anything I can possibly thank United for nudging me to finally get that job done in my house that me wife has been asking me to do for a while now. I need to finish my basement and that will cost lots of money and I will go to HD so I am just doing it with GCs instead of another form of payment. If I get miles from them AND this bonus, I win. If not, I will have only lost hope. So if I have less than average hope, I lose nothing. It's kinda like in the classic film, Shawhank Redemption: Red eloquently explains to Andy one day in the Shawshank Prison cafeteria that “hope is a dangerous thing.”

It's the only way to go into this in my opinion. Go for it, yah, but only do this to get what you are buying anyway. And then you can remain happy.

I tend to think that's how people should approach every promo in life, but that certainly doesn't mean I wont be joining the fight if and when they fail to award us the miles for all this. I'm just trying to go into it with a different mind set. And I do believe the safest bet in all this is the dining method.

So, in the end, if we do everything right and by the book, it will only be hard to recoup bonuses if we find we are dealing with obtuse, one sided, poorly managed, overwhelmed, scam-laden disorganized and impersonal agents at entities that later deny us rewards due for reasons we all may have run into on these very boards before.

Oh wait, that's what I believe we WILL be up against! Hence, my stance on HOW I am going into my massive buy-ation of multiple HD GCs.

Of course, when it comes to miles gigs, I think of myself as Andy Dufresne sometimes, and so maybe I am also currently working on holes & ways around all this as I tell the warden who is probably listening in all of the above.