Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
SQ lounge is far from United gate, therefore may not be practical if you have a tight connection.

SQ lounge went through renovation in late 2014 and had grand opening in early February (soft opening in November 2014).

The new SQ lounge looks very nice and more modern. It does provide Japan/US style 2-prong outlet in the big TV area opposite the buffet, so your charger/adapter should fit physically.

The breakfast offering is very good though not as good as pre renovation IMHO. When I was there last month shortly after 0600 it was far from being crowded.

BTW, I agree with ORDnHKG on the congee comment.

ETA: When I requested the shower around 0730 it was immediately available, no wait. The large (by HK standard) shower room incorporates a toilet. It has a rainshower head, 3 side nozzles and a removable shower wand, with pump bottles of shampoo and shower gel in the spacious shower stall.

Last edited by Neil35; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I like the SQ lounge for breakfast because other than the standard dim sum, but it also has the local favorite dim sum, rice noodle roll 腸粉 with soya sauce, sesame paste, and sweet paste as toppings, they also have hot soya milk

Other than that, I found their other offerings are quite bland and generic, the congee is simply tasteless...
Here is my breakfast in the SQ SKL last December:

The noodle rolls (chong fun) are in the front. Behind them are the machine-made siu mai (pork)and har gow (shrimp). And on the side is the said bland congee, which I actually didn't find quite bad. I liked the noodle rolls the least.

Here are some of the offerings in the UC at around the same time during the day:

Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I rarely say this but I prefer the UA lounge. mainly due to the food selection (also rare for UA). I haven't been to SQ lounge since it changed, but I didn't like that there were no windows. SQ always seem dark to me. The Thai lounge was ok. I usually goto all three just to see what's changed if I have time.

Now I'm usually looking for food. If you just want some piece and quiet, I'd goto one of the other lounges

Last edited by eng3; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
HKG UC under renovation

Was just in the HKG UC last Thursday. It was a mess because the club is under renovation. About half of the normal seating area was available, and they had certain "pathways" taped off so that a trip to the loo could be a roundabout journey.

I should have asked when it would be completed. Sorry
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hands down for me is SQ, especially if you want to take a shower. Better Food and Beverage in my opinion, overall ambiance and seating.. I was not impressed by UA at all. I toured all the *Lounges and Priorty Pass Lounges at HKG and SQ (New One) is my #1 pick. Personal perefence I guess.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hands down for me is SQ, especially if you want to take a shower. Better Food and Beverage in my opinion, overall ambiance and seating.. I was not impressed by UA at all. I toured all the *Lounges and Priorty Pass Lounges at HKG and SQ (New One) is my #1 pick. Personal perefence I guess.. Thanks and Safe Travels
I don't find the renovated showers at SQ lounge that special, still it is share by F and C pax unlike UA IFL has its own showers separated from the RCC showers.

If you had toured all the *A lounges and PP lounges in HKG, I am surprised to hear SQ is still your #1 pick, as Premium Plaza has A LOT more food options than SQ lounge, not to mention multiple cook-to-order stations.

The SQ lounge in HKG still lack of any cook-to-order station even on the F side !
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast last month (February)

SQ lounge: Other than those mentioned, it also has stir-fried udon noodle (炒烏冬)

UA lounge: Far left is turnip cake (蘿蔔糕), next to it is stir-fried vermicelli noodle (炒米粉). Turnip cake tasted quite good

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA
near gate 60/61.

went into thai lounge, it sucks.
united club, okay, hot food, bar is higher in asia for customer service so hot food is a basic requirement.
Plaza Premium Lounge, best food, I have a HK credit card that allow 4 entries a year, so I always go there first before using united club even though I am 1k.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
The SQ lounge in HKG still lack of any cook-to-order station even on the F side !
You can order from the SQ lounge staff wonton noodle or laksa at the SQ lounge after 11am. Both are cook-to-order and very tasty.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow, I guess each person has their own experience and desire. Thats the good part about FT, we all share our information. The new bathrooms at SQ (with cleaning attendants standing by) along with nice fixtures, high quality bath soaps and lotions.. reminded me of a W Hotel type of experience. Along with the overall stafff, bar area etc..The Plaza Premium was a much less of a nice experience for me..Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
+1

I do travel to HK a lot and based on consistency of offering, SQ is my #1.

For infrequent visitor, UC is a hit or miss pending on time of the day of the visit. It stands out of the UA system because how poor UC are in the US.

I do agree about the comment on SQ food. I don't think it is as good as the old lounge. Not sure why.

I have stopped doing lounge hopping in HK now, I simply just go to SQ lounge to relax before boarding.

If I fly non-Star carriers out of HK, my UC lifetime membership does come in handy!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
You can order from the SQ lounge staff wonton noodle or laksa at the SQ lounge after 11am. Both are cook-to-order and very tasty.
Good to know, thanks.

Is it only for F side ? Or C side as well ?

Wow, I guess each person has their own experience and desire. Thats the good part about FT, we all share our information. The new bathrooms at SQ (with cleaning attendants standing by) along with nice fixtures, high quality bath soaps and lotions.. reminded me of a W Hotel type of experience. Along with the overall stafff, bar area etc..The Plaza Premium was a much less of a nice experience for me..Thanks and Safe Travels
What brand are they using ? I thought I saw something generic in white bottles like the showers at UA RCC in HKG ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 19, 2015 at 8:43 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Good to know, thanks.

Is it only for F side ? Or C side as well ?

What brand are they using ? I thought I saw something generic in white bottles like the showers at UA RCC in HKG ?
On the C side as well :-)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I had a layover in HKG this past January en-route from ORD to SIN. I checked out the GFL and the SQ lounge and felt the SQ lounge was MUCH nicer. Agree that the SQ lounge is pretty far from the UA gates so this only works with a 2+ hr layover but the GFL left much to be desired in my opinion. The GFL has a small intimate area but food and liquor selection was OK. SQ had better options in my opinion...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The SQ lounge is great, but it's dark there is no sun light....at least not on the F side..... If the sun is up i'd pick the UA lounge just to have a good view and feel like I have more space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.