Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:12 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Madone59

Any UA *G should have access to SQ and TG. Use those.
I think SQ lounge is slightly overrated. I prefer TG lounge...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Here is a pic from a recent visit to the HKG TG lounge. There was only one other person in the lounge. My HKG-EWR flight was just a few steps away.

Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by oldtimer
The UC in Hong Kong has closed for remodeling. Members are directed to the Plaza Premium Lounge adjacent to the Thai Orchid, not the one closest to the United Club.

I was there this morning. Food was better and a bit more variety but it was crowded. This Plaza Premium Lounge was not as spacious as the United Club.
So I assume all the UC contract airlines like NH, AC, and LH have to use Plaza Premium as well, it would be super packed then.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Will the remodeled UA club at HKG still have "make your own taco"? That was always my favorite part of the lounge.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Anyone know when the the lounge renovation will be completed?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
The new SQ Lounge is excellent--hang out there before you take the train over to the UA gates. It's beautifully designed, has a top shelf bar, and there's a generous buffet plus food to order. It's really quite an oasis and magnificently designed.

(With Mr. Smisek's demise of GF, one wonders if there will still be a GF lounge when it reopens.)
Meh it's dark and windowless...and far away. I typically stop there quickly to eat then head to UA club since its shove my gate.

How long are renovations?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by kluau88
Not really a fair comparison. CX better put their best foot forward at their home airport.

Your comparison here in HKG would be like comparing SQ's lounges in SIN vs. those of any other carrier that flies ex-SIN.

For most carriers you'd expect if they want to impress it would be out of their hubs and in this case that is what CX does in HKG, SQ does in SIN, LH does in FRA, and what NH/JL do in NRT/HND.
Or the ORD United Clubs at Concourse C.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jp12687
Meh it's dark and windowless...and far away. I typically stop there quickly to eat then head to UA club since its shove my gate.

How long are renovations?
Is it still dark? It was dark prior to the renovation.

I think the SQ lounge now is well lit.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Is it still dark? It was dark prior to the renovation.

I think the SQ lounge now is well lit.
Yes, the concerns about the darkness should be toward the Plaza Premiun Lounge in the same general area as SQ. I find SQ to be one of the better *Gold lounges at HKG and albeit no windows its not dark at all..
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Last Friday, upon check in, I was redirected from the typical UA GFL to the Plaza Premium lounge. It must've been just the first day or two of the closure, since I was in the GFL just two days prior.

I was very disappointed. Way over-crowded, hardly a place to sit. UA had a specific rep at the lounge check-in area and they directed me to a cordoned off section for F/GS, suggesting they were saving seats for the most elite. But even it had no seats.

I didn't have time to look for any check for any other *A options, but had I known TG or SQ were options, I would have highly considered it.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Has the SQ lounge moved? I've mostly flown CX in/out of HKG lately so haven't had much occasion to visit the various *A lounges in the last 18 months or so.

I actually rather enjoyed the cellar-like ambiance of the SQ lounge. It's usually quiet before the UAL flights as there is a gap between SQ flights in the late morning. IME the United lounge is best when not flying UAL, since the place empties out after 11am.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Last Friday, upon check in, I was redirected from the typical UA GFL to the Plaza Premium lounge. It must've been just the first day or two of the closure, since I was in the GFL just two days prior.

I was very disappointed. Way over-crowded, hardly a place to sit. UA had a specific rep at the lounge check-in area and they directed me to a cordoned off section for F/GS, suggesting they were saving seats for the most elite. But even it had no seats.

I didn't have time to look for any check for any other *A options, but had I known TG or SQ were options, I would have highly considered it.
TG has lounges in the same area as the UC and the GFL. Within 100 feet.

Last edited by cheltzel; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:14 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I would highly recommend visiting the Thai lounge over the Plaza Premium lounge.

The former is much brighter, feels more open, and has a lovely buffet selection and a few add-ons such as video-games and a TV room. If you're in First class, the Thai lounge has a small, but elegant and quiet first class area that beats the Plaza Premium lounge hands down.

The Plaza Premium is huge, but with various area typically cordoned off, and feels dark except for the food court area.

Some pictures and details (full disclosure I contribute to loungereview.com):

Plaza Premium:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/pla...-hall-gate-40/

Thai:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/tha...lk-lounge-hkg/

Don't forget the beautiful SQ lounge - but it's far away (close to checkin) and also lacks daylight. If you want to use the SQ lounge, then go there FIRST and then take the train over to the UA gate. The train goes only one way and it's a hike back to the entrance of the terminal.
https://loungereview.com/lounges/sin...is-lounge-hkg/
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone know when the the lounge renovation will be completed?
Second the motion ... although we'll be passing thru this weekend & if enuf time will try ask someone & post here
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Pat+
I would highly recommend visiting the Thai lounge over the Plaza Premium lounge.
+1.

I've been in the Plaza Premium lounge a few times and found it disappointing in just about every aspect. I'd take the SQ or TG lounges over PP any day of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.