Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone know when the the lounge renovation will be completed?
May 22 according to note handed to me as I boarded flight from SIN to HKG, yesterday.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Thanks for the current updates on the UC in HKG. I'll ask today and post any additional information.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Handout says "late May". Pax agent thinks May 23 or maybe earlier if renovations are complete. Presently (April 19) at Plaza Premium; guess we'll go
lounge-hopping to Thai or SQ.

Added: Found Thai lounge to be excellent, a cut above Plaza Premium.

Last edited by BH62; Apr 19, 2016 at 6:10 pm Reason: added remark about Thai loung.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Ok, so do we know what they are changing? I personally liked the HKG UC. Good food options, good drink options, plenty of space even prior to SFO flight. Just a refresh of furniture? Or layout changes?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Crossing my figures (and unlikely) but maybe conforming changes to the LHR UC?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 764toHI
We can dream.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Will United Club One-time pass from Chase be honored at Plaza Premium Lounge during HKG UC renovation?
i was at the plaza premium lounge last saturday... at the united check in desk at this lounge, there were three or four of the united cub one-time passes on the desk, so my best guess is that they are indeed accepted there.

overall, i thought the food was much better at the plaza premium lounge than that provided at the united club, although not up to par with what was provided at the GF lounge. they do have a special section cordoned off for united that is air conditioned and less crowded, although their GS section was a bit of a joke... more like a section of a mall food court. but they appeared to be pouring premium champagne there.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UK Stages
i was at the plaza premium lounge last saturday... at the united check in desk at this lounge, there were three or four of the united cub one-time passes on the desk, so my best guess is that they are indeed accepted there.

overall, i thought the food was much better at the plaza premium lounge than that provided at the united club, although not up to par with what was provided at the GF lounge. they do have a special section cordoned off for united that is air conditioned and less crowded, although their GS section was a bit of a joke... more like a section of a mall food court. but they appeared to be pouring premium champagne there.
Honestly don't understand the debate in this thread - perhaps I don't care about a view so much, but the SQ lounge - both F and J sections - are so good that to me there is simply no comparison in HKG with any other lounge (except of course for the Wing lounge but we are talking *A here). Yes - there is no view, but the food, the drinks, the comfort (furnishings and climate), and wifi all work perfectly, and honestly unless you need a wheelchair it's not that far a walk to the UA gates - it takes me literally 9 minutes - I wait longer for the stupid bus at EWR to terminal A from C....
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly don't understand the debate in this thread - perhaps I don't care about a view so much, but the SQ lounge - both F and J sections - are so good that to me there is simply no comparison in HKG with any other lounge (except of course for the Wing lounge but we are talking *A here). Yes - there is no view, but the food, the drinks, the comfort (furnishings and climate), and wifi all work perfectly, and honestly unless you need a wheelchair it's not that far a walk to the UA gates - it takes me literally 9 minutes - I wait longer for the stupid bus at EWR to terminal A from C....
Absolutely agree with everything said here.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Absolutely agree with everything said here.
I have been stating that since the SQ lounge has been remodeled. More space for us !

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 20, 2016 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Spent some time in the Thai lounge this past weekend. It was fine. Nice views of the terminal and the tarmac. Food offerings were okay in the morning (better than a UA club). Facilities weren't that nice, but not too crowded. Not a bad way to pass an hour.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'm in the Thai lounge now. The views are fantastic and the food is good (barbecue pork buns, noodles, shrimp and pork dumplings, scrambled eggs), but the drink selection at the self-serve bar is mediocre. The white wine is a Canyon Road chardonnay with the buttery taste I can't stand, and they have nothing sparkling at all.

SQ was unquestionably better for food and beverage. For example, their version of scrambled eggs came with smoked salmon, and they had some decent champagne (Chandon, IIRC) available at the bar.

But you have to move on to the gate at some point. I probably went the wrong way by following the signs to the train, because there's no way it took me only nine minutes to get from one lounge to the next. If the reopened UC is anything like at LHR, that's where I'd want to wait out the time before boarding.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by 764toHI
The LHR UC is indeed really nice.

I will take a look at the Plaza Premium Lounge in the meantime.
I'm guessing access includes things like shower usage and breakfast?
See fees listed here:
https://www.plaza-network.com/locati...ty=Hong%20Kong

What's this about a 15min seated massage? Have not seen that in a UC.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:31 pm

Are all these lounges airside or landside?

I will be in Hong Kong in November flying Dragon Air and I have 2 Chase's United Club passes that expire the end of the year.

I would like to know is there any possibility to use these passes? I presume United club in Hong Kong should be done renovation and opened by then. If I cannot walk between terminals airside (assuming Dragon Air and United are in different terminal), then I would not bother.

Please advise, thanks.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lililolo
I will be in Hong Kong in November flying Dragon Air and I have 2 Chase's United Club passes that expire the end of the year.

I would like to know is there any possibility to use these passes? I presume United club in Hong Kong should be done renovation and opened by then. If I cannot walk between terminals airside (assuming Dragon Air and United are in different terminal), then I would not bother.

Please advise, thanks.
You'll be able to use the United Club by then. HKG is basically all one terminal and all the major lounges are air side. I've used the UA Club many times when departing on Dragon Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.