Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying out of HKG today, thought I'd check out the TG lounge. It's spacious and empty with really nice tarmac views. But the chairs are very uncomfortable and the hot food has an off smell that is permeating the entire lounge. Also, the wifi sucks (<1 mbs down). Fortunately, HKIA has excellent free wifi.

For my money, the SQ dungeon wins among the three *A lounges despite its lack of light or views. For one thing, it's well air conditioned. The terminal is absolutely sweltering today (84 degrees and 80%+ humidity when I woke up at 5:30 a.m.).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying out of HKG today, thought I'd check out the TG lounge. It's spacious and empty with really nice tarmac views. But the chairs are very uncomfortable and the hot food has an off smell that is permeating the entire lounge. Also, the wifi sucks (<1 mbs down). Fortunately, HKIA has excellent free wifi.

For my money, the SQ dungeon wins among the three *A lounges despite its lack of light or views. For one thing, it's well air conditioned. The terminal is absolutely sweltering today (84 degrees and 80%+ humidity when I woke up at 5:30 a.m.).
Good to know, will be there soon, will camp out in SQ lounge longer on shortly upcoming visit.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Hey I missed you, I flew out Monday, but Monday night! The AC was not working well anywhere in the airport by the time I got there Monday evening. I bailed on the HK Airlines lounge, it was too warm. The United lounge was another available choice, it was bearable but not exactly comfortable.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
Hey I missed you, I flew out Monday, but Monday night! The AC was not working well anywhere in the airport by the time I got there Monday evening. I bailed on the HK Airlines lounge, it was too warm. The United lounge was another available choice, it was bearable but not exactly comfortable.
Hope you had a good trip . . . I was actually inbound on Dragonair Monday night from HKT, flew out Tuesday a.m.

The TG and UA lounges seem to fare worse when it's hot since the hot air rises and gets trapped in that open upper level.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
And Piper-Heidsieck. I drop through going in either direction for a few glasses.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
And Piper-Heidsieck. I drop through going in either direction for a few glasses.
Oh good call! Flying out a bit later in the day than usual in a few weeks, might hafta indulge!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
And they are so nice, don't even blink an eye when they open at 6:00 am and I'm on my third flute by 6:30. A little power drink, shower, dim sum. Then off to SF0 on UA.. However, I will stay awhile longer and finish the bottle last time a gentelemen said why not I will join you in one.. The place is great (SQ lounge that is)..
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
And they are so nice, don't even blink an eye when they open at 6:00 am and I'm on my third flute by 6:30.
+1! Absolutely right & the bartender never hesitates to open another bottle.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Slightly off-topic, but my wife and I are looking to go ORD to Siem Reap in October on our way to a meeting in BKK. Only one-stop option I see is 895 to HKG, then overnight to take a DragonAir flight to REP. I don't see any transit hotels inside security similar to SIN (please correct me if I'm wrong; that would be my first option). Barring that, which of the adjacent airport hotels would the wise folk of this thread recommend for convenience and comfort? Other option would be ORD-SFO-SIN-REP, which would let us leave the night before and avoid the layover, but at the expense of an extra flight and some backtracking. (Sidenote: the Silkair website seems down; can't get anything but a 404 error. Perhaps related to trying to log in from Norway???)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Slightly off-topic, but my wife and I are looking to go ORD to Siem Reap in October on our way to a meeting in BKK. Only one-stop option I see is 895 to HKG, then overnight to take a DragonAir flight to REP. I don't see any transit hotels inside security similar to SIN (please correct me if I'm wrong; that would be my first option). Barring that, which of the adjacent airport hotels would the wise folk of this thread recommend for convenience and comfort? Other option would be ORD-SFO-SIN-REP, which would let us leave the night before and avoid the layover, but at the expense of an extra flight and some backtracking. (Sidenote: the Silkair website seems down; can't get anything but a 404 error. Perhaps related to trying to log in from Norway???)
There are several threads discussing this in the Hong Kong and Macau forum.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Will cose this thread, now that http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...22-2016-a.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.