Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scheduled departure prior to scheduled arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scheduled departure prior to scheduled arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Thumbs down Scheduled departure prior to scheduled arrival?

Not sure I quite understand why UA schedules flights like this:

6/14/16 DFW-DEN Departure 9:33am "delayed due to a late inbound aircraft arrival"

Hitting where is this aircraft coming from:
DEN-DFW "Inflight - Estimated to arrive 3 minutes early". Scheduled 7:00am departure, arrival 9:52am

I am not an airline scheduler, but how do you get a departure time 19 minutes before the arrival? Isnt my time valuable?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Most likely your flight was to be serviced by a different airplane that is even more delayed or has gone mechanical. They are subbing it out for this plane coming from DEN. UA has saved you time - perhaps many hours - preventing you from having to wait for that original plane.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
... Hitting where is this aircraft coming from:
DEN-DFW "Inflight - Estimated to arrive 3 minutes early". ...
In irrops the "where is this aircraft coming" is not reliable. (Which is problematic since irrops is when you are most interested in the data.)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was an equipment change for that flight last night, although I don't know the reason.

Code:
Jun 14	01:50 (UTC)	Gate Adjustment
			AEQP Changed From 319 To 320
			TAIL Changed From N826UA To N402UA
So it wasn't originally assigned to the aircraft now scheduled to arrive after the original stated departure time.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Friends often show me this scenario as an example of United's supposed incompetence, but scheduling is a difficult concept to explain to non-airline people. I am not sure of a more concise, articulate way to characterize this particular situation. Perhaps coding it as "aircraft change" might be more instructive.

This is an unintended consequence of United giving fairly detailed reasons for delays. The inbound airplane may be on time or early for that particular scheduled flight, but the forthcoming delay for the downline flight will be attributable to a "late turn" due to the aircraft swap.

With less information on the reason for delays, we'd see the inbound flight on time or early, yet after the scheduled departure time of the downline leg, and probably complain about United scheduling illogical turns!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In irrops the "where is this aircraft coming" is not reliable. (Which is problematic since irrops is when you are most interested in the data.)
As much as UA IT has its issues, I think it's unfair to call the function not reliable.

It's not that "where is this aircraft coming from?" returns bogus data - it's always accurate - but that the aircraft you're looking at may very well not be the one you're going to fly.

"Where is this aircraft coming from?" shows the status of the plane that's scheduled for your flight, as of this moment. United's network planners can (and do!) change that at any time. This is ESPECIALLY true in irrops situations, but can and does happen in the course of normal business.

So I guess I'm trying to say - the tool itself is actually quite reliable, but can't predict the future. It doesn't "know" that the network planners are going to swap out your plane for another one.

It's a great tool but in no way should be used for anything more than mild amusement.... doesn't always have bearing on reality.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Yep, happened to me yesterday. Scheduling pulled our original plane, that was on time, and replaced it with another plane that was supposed to arrive early, but 20 minutes after our scheduled departure.

Didn't take the time to track the original tail number to see where it went.

Created cascading delays down the line for all the rest of the flights assigned to the original plane as well.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
"Where is this aircraft coming from" is much more useful outside of the United Hubs. I find it very useful when tracking my UAX planes coming into Dayton and being able to predict if there is going to be delays.

On the downside, with UAX the info flow is not always well coordinated, and delays are not reliably posted to the flight status even when delays are certain...and then they often just auto creep delays by 10 or 15 minutes.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I am not an airline scheduler, but how do you get a departure time 19 minutes before the arrival? Isnt my time valuable?
Dispatch involves a much more complex set of circumstances than the simplistic thinking that the aircraft originally scheduled for the flight is and can be the only aircraft used for that flight. Substitutions happen.

When I see an obvious disconnect between arrival aircraft info and expected departure time, I don't question the stupidity of the airline, but remind myself that I don't know about a lot of behind-the-scene things.

OTOH, on AA, often the app posts my flight as "on time" even though it's past departure time, I'm waiting at the gate with the other pax, and there is no plane in sight.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
OTOH, on AA, often the app posts my flight as "on time" even though it's past departure time, I'm waiting at the gate with the other pax, and there is no plane in sight.
Had that happen more than once with UA.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeap, basic explanation:

App shows the status of the plane that is scheduled to operate your flight.

If that plane is going to be late, and operations intends to swap that plane for another one and still operate your flight on time, they won't adjust your flight times because they are, indeed, correct.

But if they don't know what plane they're going to put you on yet, they can't assign your flight to that plane, so you're stuck looking at the status of the plane previously assigned, even though that won't be your plane.

I suppose United could add an "unassigned" state where a scheduled flight doesn't have any plane assigned, but that would probably weird out passengers even more. "What do you mean there's no plane for this flight?"
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
As has been said, it's complicated.

Even on the front lines flying the airplanes most of what is going on behind the scenes is not always apparent. Each hub has an SOC with a dozen or two employees who are monitoring and working on these issues. It's quite impressive to see. There is far too much going on to include all that detail in a simple delay code.

I recently had an example of how they swap around resources to minimize the delays when the system is disrupted. I was flying from the west coast into IAH with a scheduled turn of nearly two hours to BNA. We received an ACARS message saying that we were being rescheduled to fly TPA instead of BNA due to the TPA crew misconnecting. The TPA flight was scheduled to depart only minutes after our IAH arrival so it ended up being delayed waiting for us. I found out later that the TPA crew had gotten caught up in a weather delay in DEN when storms stopped operations for some time. That crew had been rescheduled to our BNA overnight which departed later though they were so late that they delayed that flight as well though both flights were delayed much less than the TPA flight would have been delayed if they had kept us all on our original schedule. SOC traded two short delays (less than an hour each) for one very extensive delay (over four hours, IIRC).

The root cause of both delays was the weather in DEN even though the weather in IAH, TPA, and BNA was fine. So what should the app say for the reason for the delay? Awaiting Crew? Weather? Operational Difficulties? All of the above? I don't have the answer for that.

This swap was crewmembers, not airplanes, but it shows the type of thing that happens behind the scenes all the time to recover from system disruptions.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Code:
Jun 14	01:50 (UTC)	Gate Adjustment
			AEQP Changed From 319 To 320
			TAIL Changed From N826UA To N402UA
fumje & others: How / Where can you pull this information up? I've only relied on Flightaware and the United App for info in the past.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
fumje & others: How / Where can you pull this information up? I've only relied on Flightaware and the United App for info in the past.
Flightstats shows this info if you go into the details. Free account needed, and don't think it shows the tail numbers specifically, but does show aircraft swaps, IIRC.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LarryJ
As has been said, it's complicated.

Even on the front lines flying the airplanes most of what is going on behind the scenes is not always apparent. Each hub has an SOC with a dozen or two employees who are monitoring and working on these issues. It's quite impressive to see. There is far too much going on to include all that detail in a simple delay code.

I recently had an example of how they swap around resources to minimize the delays when the system is disrupted. I was flying from the west coast into IAH with a scheduled turn of nearly two hours to BNA. We received an ACARS message saying that we were being rescheduled to fly TPA instead of BNA due to the TPA crew misconnecting. The TPA flight was scheduled to depart only minutes after our IAH arrival so it ended up being delayed waiting for us. I found out later that the TPA crew had gotten caught up in a weather delay in DEN when storms stopped operations for some time. That crew had been rescheduled to our BNA overnight which departed later though they were so late that they delayed that flight as well though both flights were delayed much less than the TPA flight would have been delayed if they had kept us all on our original schedule. SOC traded two short delays (less than an hour each) for one very extensive delay (over four hours, IIRC).

The root cause of both delays was the weather in DEN even though the weather in IAH, TPA, and BNA was fine. So what should the app say for the reason for the delay? Awaiting Crew? Weather? Operational Difficulties? All of the above? I don't have the answer for that.

This swap was crewmembers, not airplanes, but it shows the type of thing that happens behind the scenes all the time to recover from system disruptions.
Nice explanation and example.
Throw in all the crew member's schedule and legal-time availability...I am sure it gets complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.