Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
And neither SQ nor UC hold a candle to the CX lounges, not for atmosphere, style, nor food. I always feel slightly deprived flying *A ex-HKG.
Yes, as I came through customs yesterday my body was trying to go left but my BP required me go right... I looked longingly at the sign pointing to the Oasis of tranquility (aka the Wing lounge) and pushed forward, only to be swarmed by a bunch of survey takers from the HK government wanting to ask me about my trip to HK...
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
That is like comparing other BKK airline lounges to Thai's Royal Orchid Lounge & Spa. No matter how nice they are, they pale in comparison.
I would put the BR lounge close to the TG lounges
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cheltzel
That is like comparing other BKK airline lounges to Thai's Royal Orchid Lounge & Spa. No matter how nice they are, they pale in comparison.
You mean the TG F lounge? Because the TG J lounges at BKK are nothing special at all.

Originally Posted by kluau88
Not really a fair comparison. CX better put their best foot forward at their home airport.

Your comparison here in HKG would be like comparing SQ's lounges in SIN vs. those of any other carrier that flies ex-SIN.

For most carriers you'd expect if they want to impress it would be out of their hubs and in this case that is what CX does in HKG, SQ does in SIN, LH does in FRA, and what NH/JL do in NRT/HND.
Then why does LH have the best lounge at IAD? Or VS the best lounge at JFK?

In any event, who said anything about being fair? My main point is that I always feel like I'm missing out flying *A ex-HKG.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes, as I came through customs yesterday my body was trying to go left but my BP required me go right... I looked longingly at the sign pointing to the Oasis of tranquility (aka the Wing lounge) and pushed forward, only to be swarmed by a bunch of survey takers from the HK government wanting to ask me about my trip to HK...
Exactly!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean the TG F lounge? Because the TG J lounges at BKK are nothing special at all.
Yes the F lounge. I agree with you on the J lounges. And the TG domestic J lounges are even worse!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:11 am

United Club in Hong Kong

The UC in Hong Kong has closed for remodeling. Members are directed to the Plaza Premium Lounge adjacent to the Thai Orchid, not the one closest to the United Club.

I was there this morning. Food was better and a bit more variety but it was crowded. This Plaza Premium Lounge was not as spacious as the United Club.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oldtimer
The UC in Hong Kong has closed for remodeling. Members are directed to the Plaza Premium Lounge adjacent to the Thai Orchid, not the one closest to the United Club.

I was there this morning. Food was better and a bit more variety but it was crowded. This Plaza Premium Lounge was not as spacious as the United Club.
So, as an alternative, can't we just go into the Thai lounge? As *A Gold I showed my boarding pass and walked into the Thai lounge without issue. I thought Thai's food was actually better than what was available in the UA club that evening.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edsh
So, as an alternative, can't we just go into the Thai lounge? As *A Gold I showed my boarding pass and walked into the Thai lounge without issue. I thought Thai's food was actually better than what was available in the UA club that evening.
Sure, if you meet the requirements. *A Gold or United Club members would be able to, no problem. However, if you are simply traveling in J on United with no status or UC membership, the Thai lounge would not be an option.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The TG lounge isn't bad but the SQ lounge is better yet quite far from the UA gates. I'd sit in the food court before I sat in the Plaza Premium lounge - that place is a dark windowless madhouse. I am not a fan.

Any UA *G should have access to SQ and TG. Use those.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Too bad UA did not cut a deal with the QF lounge.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rmlanman
Sure, if you meet the requirements. *A Gold or United Club members would be able to, no problem. However, if you are simply traveling in J on United with no status or UC membership, the Thai lounge would not be an option.
Incorrect. If traveling in J, you are entitled to enter any *A lounge marked as such, as long as you are traveling on an *A airline in the premium cabin at the departure airport.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
The new SQ Lounge is excellent--hang out there before you take the train over to the UA gates. It's beautifully designed, has a top shelf bar, and there's a generous buffet plus food to order. It's really quite an oasis and magnificently designed.

(With Mr. Smisek's demise of GF, one wonders if there will still be a GF lounge when it reopens.)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Thought they just did a mild renovation last year? Must say I didn't notice much difference in GFL...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are there any *A lounges within a reasonable distance from the China Eastern gates?

Edit: disregard...since I'm flying MU, I can't enter another lounge as I would have used my UC membership to get in the UA Club

Last edited by bocastephen; Apr 11, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Will United Club One-time pass from Chase be honored at Plaza Premium Lounge during HKG UC renovation?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Edit: disregard...since I'm flying MU, I can't enter another lounge as I would have used my UC membership to get in the UA Club
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Will United Club One-time pass from Chase be honored at Plaza Premium Lounge during HKG UC renovation?
You can try. But don't expect you will be able to get in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.