Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Trying to book an award itinerary on the UA website now. Site shows a particular routing (ORD-ICN-SIN) on OZ/SQ as available, but when clicked on says "We are unable to find an award seat that fits your requirements." Should I call in or is this phantom availability?

Edit: I get the same message regardless which routing I click on. Likely there is some IT issue here.

edit 2: Repeated the search and it went through. Just some website gremlins I guess.

Last edited by gailwynand; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
If you book an international Y fare, does the upgrade (either miles/SWU) book into the JN bucket, assuming an elite flyer?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qasr
If you book an international Y fare, does the upgrade (either miles/SWU) book into the JN bucket, assuming an elite flyer?
Why would you think it does not come from R/RN?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why would you think it does not come from R/RN?
Because JN is the Y upgrade bucket from the domestic instant upgrade fares?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Because JN is the Y upgrade bucket from the domestic instant upgrade fares?
But Instant Upgrade is not available on non-CPU flights. All upgrades on non-CPU flights come from R/RN (except the tricks GS agents can do).
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, it does not.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If I buy a nonrefundable ticket, and I confirm a Regional Premier Upgrade for that ticket, and then I have to cancel the whole reservation, I get a credit for the value of the reservation, less a change fee. But do I get the RPU back?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
If I buy a nonrefundable ticket, and I confirm a Regional Premier Upgrade for that ticket, and then I have to cancel the whole reservation, I get a credit for the value of the reservation, less a change fee. But do I get the RPU back?
yes you do (have done this a few times myself). On the credit, you get the full value as credit but you have to pay an additional change fee (new money) to use the credit,
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
How long does it take for elite status to post?

I'm expecting to cross the 25k miles threshold on a Sunday. If I have a flight scheduled the following Wednesday, 3 days later, can I expect to have silver status for that flight? Or does it take a week or two to update in United's system?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil
How long does it take for elite status to post?

I'm expecting to cross the 25k miles threshold on a Sunday. If I have a flight scheduled the following Wednesday, 3 days later, can I expect to have silver status for that flight? Or does it take a week or two to update in United's system?
It will probably take until Tuesday for the miles from Sunday's flight to post. And status then takes effect the day after that, so Wednesday at best.

If the qualifying flight is on UA metal you can try calling the MPSC and asking them to advance you the status a couple days early so you can fully take advantage of it starting next week. I've had success with that approach multiple times in the past.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Which Economy+ seats on United's 747 have that electronics box restricting foot room? Thanks in advance for any replies. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, or K?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Can someone help me understand the upgrade list? The flight says the following:
United First: 7
Booked: Full
Checked In: 5
The flight has 9 first class seats and then subsequently lists 4 passengers under the confirmed upgrade list. Does the 5 checked in include these 4 passengers or is it 5+4 = 9? Seat map still shows one available United First seat

I'm #3 on the waitlist so wondering if I have any chance at all.

Thanks

Last edited by awu25; Mar 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by awu25
Can someone help me understand the upgrade list? The flight says the following:
United First: 7
Booked: Full
Checked In: 5
The flight has 9 first class seats and then subsequently lists 4 passengers under the confirmed upgrade list. Does the 5 checked in include these 4 passengers or is it 5+4 = 9? Seat map still shows one available United First seat

I'm #3 on the waitlist so wondering if I have any chance at all.

Thanks
While there are 9 F seat, appears 2 are blocked (Pilot rest seats?) since it is labeled as Booked Full with 7 customers.
Checked In includes those that have checked in.The 4 passengers showing confirmed upgrade may or may not have checked in -- cleared customers will show even if not checked in. No way to tell for sure.
The waitlisted customers showing have checkin (may be more to come).
Ignore the seatmap.

Your chances are poor but still possible. The cabin is sold out ("Booked: Full") but changes of plans, misconnects, .... happen. But given there are atleast 2 (could be more) ahead of you, I would worry more about if you have the present best seat possible since odds are that is where you will be. But a group of three could cancel.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While there are 9 F seat, appears 2 are blocked (Pilot rest seats?) since it is labeled as Booked Full with 7 customers.
Checked In includes those that have checked in.The 4 passengers showing confirmed upgrade may or may not have checked in -- cleared customers will show even if not checked in. No way to tell for sure.
The waitlisted customers showing have checkin (may be more to come).
Ignore the seatmap.

Your chances are poor but still possible. The cabin is sold out ("Booked: Full") but changes of plans, misconnects, .... happen. But given there are atleast 2 (could be more) ahead of you, I would worry more about if you have the present best seat possible since odds are that is where you will be. But a group of three could cancel.
Thanks for the response, wasn't expecting to get upgraded on this one, but just wanted to know how it worked for future flights. I will be content with my E+ seat
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by awu25
Thanks for the response, wasn't expecting to get upgraded on this one, but just wanted to know how it worked for future flights. I will be content with my E+ seat
E+ infers you are on a two-class plane -- what aircraft has 9 F seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.