Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by alex_b
YVR is a preclearance airport meaning you'll land in DEN as a domestic passenger.
That's awesome. Thanks.

How much time should I allot to the immigration process at YVR? My flight leaves at 6:56am on a Sunday and I was planning on getting there at 4:56am.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
That's awesome. Thanks.

How much time should I allot to the immigration process at YVR? My flight leaves at 6:56am on a Sunday and I was planning on getting there at 4:56am.
I've only done YVR pre-clearance once and as (then) a non-GE US citizen around lunchtime it took 15 minutes for immigration and about 10 for security. The Global Entry website lists YVR as having GE kiosks, so you can almost certainly cut it finer than 2 hours.

I generally give myself a little over 60 mins at YOW but that's because I do it regularly and there is no transborder MLL. As a 1k you have access to the Transborder Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR, so go have breakfast there. The lounge opens 90 mins before the first flight which may well be yours.

Don't forget coming from Canada you also have access to the UC at DEN and at HNL and DEN on your way home.

Last edited by alex_b; Mar 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm Reason: Noticed OP was a 1k.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: United Gold
I've only done YVR pre-clearance once and as (then) a non-GE US citizen around lunchtime it took 15 minutes for immigration and about 10 for security. The Global Entry website lists YVR as having GE kiosks, so you can almost certainly cut it finer than 2 hours.

I generally give myself a little over 60 mins at YOW but that's because I do it regularly and there is no transborder MLL. As a 1k you have access to the Transborder Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR, so go have breakfast there. The lounge opens 90 mins before the first flight which may well be yours.

Don't forget coming from Canada you also have access to the UC at DEN and at HNL and DEN on your way home.
Thanks again. Very useful info. ^
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:08 am

I was going to read through this thread first but with 240 pages it was pretty near impossible.

I tried searching the forums and did not find a clear answer on this particular topic, so here goes:

*DEEP BREATH*

Point #1: I have been a UA member for years (since like 1987). Never was a member of Continental. Apparently the member numbers have been changed since the merger. I was not notified of this either via email, phone or snail mail.

Point #2: I recently had a travel agent book travel for me on United. She asked for my FF#. I gave her my old number. The agent said the system was not accepting the number. I told her not to worry about it, I would enter the number at check-in. When the date of travel arrives, I go online to check-in and get my boarding pass, I enter my number and it still fails. So, I call United and have the following conversation:

Me: Hi, I had travel booked by my agent on United and she couldn't get my FF number entered. I just tried myself for a trip tomorrow and it's still not taking the FF number. Can you enter this for me?

UA: Sure, name, address, phone, FF#?

Me: *Gives "Anwar" the details*

UA: Let me give you your new number sir...blah blah blah

Me: Thank you, that pretty much answers my question as to why the system wasn't taking my # - can you check me in? I'd also like a replacement card mailed out please.

UA: Sure, I've got you entered in now...sorry but we are not prepared to deliver a replacement card to you yet.

Me: Sorry? The Continental merger happened when? Last March?

UA: Yes sir...

Me: It's been a year and you are unable to generate new cards for members?

UA: Well, we may have the wrong information on file for you sir.

Me: How is that possible? You just confirmed my details a moment ago - how could you possibly not have a way to contact me?

UA: Right sir, it's just that new cards are not ready yet...

Me: Why not - it's been 12 months. What's the problem? You have my number, you have printers right? It's simply a matter of printing the cards and mailing them out to the address of record, right?

UA: We uh...

Me: I think there's a communication disconnect here...why don't you just transfer me to a supervisor, because I have two simple questions that it sounds like you are unable to answer:

1. Why was I not notified of this change in FF #?
2. When do you anticipate being able to send us documentation on our new details?

UA: Certainly sir...

**30 minute hold***

UA Supervisor: Contact Member Services during normal business hours

Has anyone received their new UA cards yet?

Last edited by CBJason; Mar 28, 2013 at 12:58 am
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CBJason
Point #1: I have been a UA member for years (since like 1987). Never was a member of Continental. Apparently the member numbers have been changed since the merger. I was not notified of this either via email, phone or snail mail. ...
changed over a year ago

....Point #2: I recently had a travel agent book travel for me on United. She asked for my FF#. I gave her my old number. The agent said the system was not accepting the number. I told her not to worry about it, I would enter the number at check-in. When the date of travel arrives, I go online to check-in and get my boarding pass, I enter my number and it still fails. So, I call United and have the following conversation:

The old number still works for logging in online and will provide you with your new account -- which you can use for updating your boarding pass.

Surprised your TA was not aware of this change or the process for getting the new number.

....1. Why was I not notified of this change in FF #? ....
it is my understand everyone was notified by mail. Even my no status wife received notification and a new card. Perhaps you trashed the postal mailing??

.....2. When do you anticipate being able to send us documentation on our new details? ...
logging onine you can print a copy of your new card and new account info. Typically cards are not sent to general members (non-elites) but it was done last year due the transition.

.... Has anyone received their new UA cards yet?
yep -- last year

appears you have not traveled recently (at least credited your MP account), but notification & cards were sent -- in your case, it may have been misplaced or the address in your account may be incorrect?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:08 am

I was going to read through this thread first but with 240 pages it was pretty near impossible.

I tried searching the forums and did not find a clear answer on this particular topic, so here goes:

*DEEP BREATH*

Point #1: I have been a UA member for years (since like 1987). Never was a member of Continental. Apparently the member numbers have been changed since the merger. I was not notified of this either via email, phone or snail mail.

Point #2: I recently had a travel agent book travel for me on United. She asked for my FF#. I gave her my old number. The agent said the system was not accepting the number. I told her not to worry about it, I would enter the number at check-in. When the date of travel arrives, I go online to check-in and get my boarding pass, I enter my number and it still fails. So, I call United and have the following conversation:
Yep my no status wife (who was only an MP and not an OP member) got a couple of emails and some mail last year; you must have missed them or they got caught in your spam folder. In my experience this was relatively well handled by United.

As for a new card, just print it off from the website under the "my account" section, but to be honest it doesn't really matter for a general member.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:23 pm

Really Basic Question ...

I forget how it all works ...

Do you get United MileagePlus points just for flying on United?

Can you get United MileagePlus points without using a United Airlines-dedicated credit card or buying a ticket on the United Airlines website?

Can you get United MileagePlus points if you book on United through Travelocity?

Can you get United MileagePlus points if you book on United through the Bank of America Travel Center?

Thanks!! ... I must be losing it ...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by codonnell456
I forget how it all works ...

Do you get United MileagePlus points just for flying on United?

Can you get United MileagePlus points without using a United Airlines-dedicated credit card or buying a ticket on the United Airlines website?

Can you get United MileagePlus points if you book on United through Travelocity?

Can you get United MileagePlus points if you book on United through the Bank of America Travel Center?

Thanks!! ... I must be losing it ...
Yes to all of your questions.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes to all of your questions.
Well, I'd say that the answer to the first question is no in that it is possible to earn miles flying on many other airlines or through other activities. The others are all yes.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, I'd say that the answer to the first question is no in that it is possible to earn miles flying on many other airlines or through other activities. The others are all yes.
Ok I read the first question with "just for" meaning simply by rather than only by. But I can now see how it could be read both ways.

So to the OP: Yes you can earn MP miles simply by flying on a United plane, you can also earn United miles by flying a host of other carriers or by renting cars, shopping, dining out and a host of other random ways to chase those magic miles.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: United Premier
Is it OK to book award travel on United codeshare US AIR flights for March 2014 or will those flights disappear at some point this year when the merger begins? I am looking at award travel but apprehensive about those USAIR flights. I am thinking they are available to book now, but will disappear at some point and leave me without a decent award fare. The flight is PIT-PHX-LIH.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkyRo
Is it OK to book award travel on United codeshare US AIR flights for March 2014 or will those flights disappear at some point this year when the merger begins? I am looking at award travel but apprehensive about those USAIR flights. I am thinking they are available to book now, but will disappear at some point and leave me without a decent award fare. The flight is PIT-PHX-LIH.
The historical experience on this is the reservation will be safe but no changes will be possible at some point.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:42 pm

Hi FT. Sorry another newbie Question. I want to buy my friends tickets to see me (I owe them, technically). If I put my UA FF # (but obviously their name) on their ticket, does that count towards PQM for me?

Also, i'm assuming this is the newbie lounge for UA?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Hi FT. Sorry another newbie Question. I want to buy my friends tickets to see me (I owe them, technically). If I put my UA FF # (but obviously their name) on their ticket, does that count towards PQM for me?
sorry no -- ticket name and MP account name must match for paid / PQM earning tickets.
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
... Also, i'm assuming this is the newbie lounge for UA?
no specific newbie lounge but this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ask-here.html, is the closest thing.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
sorry no
no specific newbie lounge but this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ask-here.html, is the closest thing.
Thanks again, WineCountryUA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.