Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sometimes you can get the company to combine the old vouchers/certs into one new, larger one. But that takes time and a friendly agent. Otherwise no chance.
Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was under the impression that when redeeming miles, one can add a stopover for free (at least if not terribly out of the way). It didn't work for IND-SFO-SEA-IND. I was expecting to get it at 25k miles but it came up at 35k. If the free stopover worked, it should have not picked up the SFO-SEA segment of 10k, no? I did select saver award for all 3 segments.

Any idea why no free stopover here?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I was under the impression that when redeeming miles, one can add a stopover for free (at least if not terribly out of the way). It didn't work for IND-SFO-SEA-IND. I was expecting to get it at 25k miles but it came up at 35k. If the free stopover worked, it should have not picked up the SFO-SEA segment of 10k, no? I did select saver award for all 3 segments.

Any idea why no free stopover here?
The MP Award Rules are:
A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the mainland U.S., Alaska and Canada.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:52 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
For an itinerary booked on US Airways but has all flights on UA metal, will SDC be allowed? On the website it says "The itinerary must be operated by United**."
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joony
For an itinerary booked on US Airways but has all flights on UA metal, will SDC be allowed? On the website it says "The itinerary must be operated by United**."
Yes.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
HI there, sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find the question.

Looking to book LAX - SFO - HKG on UA, and wondering if a general mileage plus member (no status) would be eligible for an upgrdae for the SFO - HKG segment if they purchased a Coach B fare. And if so, about how many miles or dollars could they expect to spend?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shawnymcd
HI there, sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find the question.

Looking to book LAX - SFO - HKG on UA, and wondering if a general mileage plus member (no status) would be eligible for an upgrdae for the SFO - HKG segment if they purchased a Coach B fare. And if so, about how many miles or dollars could they expect to spend?
Long hual international are not eligible for the YBM instant upgrades (only flights that also offer complimentary premier upgrades are eligible for YBM upgrades.) See Upgrades overview.
However mileage + copay (none on B fares) is an option -- would take 35K miles and you would be at the bottom of the priority waitlist.
Or you might be offered a cash only upgrade opportunity. If offered (check online and at check-in) likely to be roughly $800 to $1K+ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Long hual international are not eligible for the YBM instant upgrades (only flights that also offer complimentary premier upgrades are eligible for YBM upgrades.) See Upgrades overview.
However mileage + copay (none on B fares) is an option -- would take 35K miles and you would be at the bottom of the priority waitlist.
Or you might be offered a cash only upgrade opportunity. If offered (check online and at check-in) likely to be roughly $800 to $1K+ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
Super helpful! Thank you!!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: United
How far out does United know which aircraft they will use for a particular flight? I have a ps flight coming up. Right now, it's showing the new ps config. Odds are, it will change back to the old. United has a tendency to change my seat assignment (currently 1A/1F) when they change aircraft, so I want to watch my reservation like a hawk when the time approaches.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by handlebear
How far out does United know which aircraft they will use for a particular flight? I have a ps flight coming up. Right now, it's showing the new ps config. Odds are, it will change back to the old. United has a tendency to change my seat assignment (currently 1A/1F) when they change aircraft, so I want to watch my reservation like a hawk when the time approaches.
3-4 days outs (although may change earlier -- AND may change anything prior to actual departure) things start to settle out.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
3-4 days outs (although may change earlier -- AND may change anything prior to actual departure) things start to settle out.
And sometimes even AFTER published departure, though BEFORE actual departure:

SFO-DFW, last flight of the day, arriving a/c from YVR went mechanical, and a couple of hours after published departure a 320 was substituted for 319. Still arrived in Dallas about 2 a.m. Monday

And of course the KIX-SFO changed THREE times 2-4 days before departure from old config 777 to new and back to old (on both UA.com and unitedcargo.com).

And of course the only reason I was on said flight was because UA cancelled my PVG-SFO nonstop about FIVE days before the flight

EmailKid
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: All of 'em
Flying biz class from TLV to EWR next week, and need to know which seats have the larger foot cubbies, as I have large feet and would like to nap a bit.

It's the 777-200.

Advice?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Bulkhead, the outer seats
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Bulkhead, the outer seats
Am I good in 1K? Is it bulkhead?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Am I good in 1K? Is it bulkhead?
Pretty sure, though I prefer 8B, 8D, and 8K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.