Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by awu25
New to traveling and just experienced my first major flight delay causing me to miss my connection flight. I am stuck in Cleveland for the night where they provided me a hotel and a meal voucher. However, I had booked a 4 night weekend stay and was not able to cancel before the 6 PM deadline, incurring a one night stay fee. Do people usually get any compensation in this situation or am I .... out of luck?
No further compensation (the compensation is the free housing / meal).
Question -- if you are going to continue travel why have you cancelled the hotel?
What was the underlying reason for the flight delay? weather, mechanical, ...?? Might be some miles as additional compensation if mechanical.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No further compensation (the compensation is the free housing / meal).
Question -- if you are going to continue travel why have you cancelled the hotel?
What was the underlying reason for the flight delay? weather, mechanical, ...?? Might be some miles as additional compensation if mechanical.
I was actually able to cancel just one night for no charge and still keep my discounted rate for the rest of the nights. Just wanted to see what the protocol was here. I'm not sure what the delay was since it had occurred 4-5 flights earlier and they couldn't catch up. Most likely won't contact UA then.

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
I was actually able to cancel just one night for no charge and still keep my discounted rate for the rest of the nights. Just wanted to see what the protocol was here. I'm not sure what the delay was since it had occurred 4-5 flights earlier and they couldn't catch up. Most likely won't contact UA then.

Thanks
There is no harm in contacting them with a very short note stating your flight was delayed by Xhrs, this cost you $XXX in an unused hotel room plus the inconvenience of missing a day of your vacation and that you would like to be compensated for this.

The worst that will happen is they'll say no and you'll have wasted 5 minutes of your life filling in a web form.

PS I'd disagree with WineCountry, whilst they're very unlikely to give you cash for the hotel stay (this is what travel insurance is for) I wouldn't be surprised if you got a travel voucher for a few hundred dollars for your trouble.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once I have bought a ticket, if I have forgotten the fare category and the fare rule, how do I see them on the UA website? I can't find any of that!

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Once I have bought a ticket, if I have forgotten the fare category and the fare rule, how do I see them on the UA website? ....
Assuming you have purchased the ticket from United, the first email you receive (usually tilted "united.com reservation for XXXX") has the fare basis -- just under the total fare block. This is not available post purchase on the web site.
As far as the fare rules, if you did not capture them during purchase, you will need to find an alternative source. Either by doing an dummy booking or going to alternative source -- I have used EF or KVS or ....

or call ....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming you have purchased the ticket from United, the first email you receive (usually tilted "united.com reservation for XXXX") has the fare basis -- just under the total fare block. This is not available post purchase on the web site.
As far as the fare rules, if you did not capture them during purchase, you will need to find an alternative source. Either by doing an dummy booking or going to alternative source -- I have used EF or KVS or ....

or call ....
Thanks, that was amazingly obscure (and in the past I have deleted those emails once I get the ticket issued one but will do so no more). I do subscribe to EF so was able to get the fare rule.

There is no valid reason other than the stupidity of the designers why this information is not included in the online booking.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Booking award intl travel without passport yet?

Quick question.

I am looking to book an award trip with my miles for a friend to meet up with me at International destination....US citizen with expired passport.

Is there any issue (or will it even allow me?) to book the ticket now, before the passport is renewed? I assume I can go back at some later time and enter the passport info once it is received?

Any other pitfalls to watch out for? Unfortunately, we will be on different routings due to availability, so no way for me to address issues once we are underway. Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:11 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am looking to book an award trip with my miles for a friend to meet up with me at International destination....US citizen with expired passport.

Is there any issue (or will it even allow me?) to book the ticket now, before the passport is renewed? I assume I can go back at some later time and enter the passport info once it is received?
Passport info is not required to make a booking.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks KVS.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

I currently have the MP Awards card ($60 fee), which used to be the old MP Signature but have been considering upgrading to the MP Explorer card. I called Chase and they said if I just do an upgrade, then I will not be able to get the 30k bonus miles because it is not considered a new account. I use my MP Awards card for absolutely everything, have an excellent credit history, always paid off my bills in full, and travel at least 4x/year. I tend to fly on airlines with first free baggage check so I really don't fly on United that much but the Explorer card comes with that perk, and even with the higher annual fee...it seems worth it. I have read that some old Awards cardholders have been able to upgrade to the Explorer card and still get the bonus miles.

Can anyone confirm this and how did you go about it? I want to maintain my credit history on the Awards card and prefer not to cancel, but not sure about the idea of applying for a new Explorer card and having both cards.

Also have heard that the Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent option for everyday spending and can transfer the points 1:1 to United MP.

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Lovetotravel22.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I don't have any first hand experience with converting your card to Explorer card, but I would think Chase Sapphire Preferred would be a good option for you.

If you are not paying for travel on United much, then the benefits of the Explorer card may not be advantageous to you (free checked bag, "priority" boarding, etc).

Assuming you want the miles just for award travel, CSP (Chase Sapphire Preferred) would be a great option. You earn 2x points for ALL travel, not just United charges. The Ultimate Rewards shopping mall is another great source of points and posts more reliably than United's shopping mall (IME). Signup bonus will help you get started...I think 50,000 points, but you will need to research a bit to confirm.

Points transfer to United Mileage Plus on a 1:1 basis...and as an additional benefit, you can also transfer them to other air and hotel programs, so they are more flexible.

There is a monster thread on CSP if you would like to read more:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ts-thread.html

Good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Hello all,
Have any of you ever had any luck with getting UA to apply more than one Gift card to a transaction?

I have GC in various denominations ($150-$300 each) and would like to use them to pay for a $900 ticket, but the system won't let me, nor would the CSR.

Was wondering if there was a way around this?

Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:41 pm
RNE

On my CLE-EWR-IST itinerary, I can upgrade both segments with dollars and miles ($550 + 20,000 mi.), but both are waitlisted. My question: What happens if one segment clears, say the domestic, but the international does not. Does UA keep all my dollars and miles? Is there a refund for a segment that doesn't clear? Can I just waitlist the international portion? That's all I really care about anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
On my CLE-EWR-IST itinerary, I can upgrade both segments with dollars and miles ($550 + 20,000 mi.), but both are waitlisted. My question: What happens if one segment clears, say the domestic, but the international does not. Does UA keep all my dollars and miles? Is there a refund for a segment that doesn't clear? Can I just waitlist the international portion? That's all I really care about anyway.
you can waitlist for a specific segment only, but you must call -- cannot do online

BUT NO NEED TO DO THAT because
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then your miles and co-pay will be fully redeposited. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst and/or United Global First, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First or United Business on another segment. In these instances, your miles and co-pay will be fully redeposited. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after the trip.
(note the above is a slight rewording of the older similar policy -- note it is now clearer concerning the case of multiple BF flights)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgraded.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgraded.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...no-refund.html
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:48 pm
RNE

Appreciate the thorough answer.

Edit: I decided not to play the waiting game; I bought up to FC and BF. A pittance to score a lie-flat seat for a 10+ hour flight.

RNE, I'm worth it.

Last edited by RNE; Mar 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.