Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
(Some older style {most gone} 3-class sUA 777 aircraft provide noise canceling headsets in premium cabins and they are different double style jack but the single jack headsets work for them)
I don't know about that... I'm on those planes all the time, those jacks still seem to be pretty widespread, especially out of ORD.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:54 am

Question:
  • Do the MileagePlus award ticket change fees stack if you make more than one "complex change"?

Example:
  • Original itinerary BKK-CDG (TG) connect to CDG-IAD (UA) in J ticketed more than 21 days in advance.
  • 14 days from departure I try to change the itinerary to HKT-FRA (TG) connect to FRA-MIA (LH) in F.

Is the above a single $75 fee? And, if so, does a phone call make it $100 total?

Or there a $75 change in destination or origin fee (or even $150 because both), plus a $75 less than 21 days before departure fee, plus a $75 change in connection within 21 day fee, plus a $25 phone ticketing fee (assuming a call is necessary), etc.? If true, I assume this means you need to just cancel and rebook. If that happens do you pay $150 to cancel, and then $75 to rebook within 21 days plus $25 for a phone call for a total of $250?

As you can see, I'm very confused.

To prevent thread clutter, thank you in advance for any help!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
Question:
  • Do the MileagePlus award ticket change fees stack if you make more than one "complex change"?

Example:
  • Original itinerary BKK-CDG (TG) connect to CDG-IAD (UA) in J ticketed more than 21 days in advance.
  • 14 days from departure I try to change the itinerary to HKT-FRA (TG) connect to FRA-MIA (LH) in F.

Is the above a single $75 fee? And, if so, does a phone call make it $100 total?
Single $75 fee per person (waived for Plats and above) in my experience.

If you look at the service fee chart you'll see it's quite clearly divided into Fee to Book and Fee to Change/Cancel sections.

Also you only get stung for the $150 if you redeposit the miles, you can pretty much rewrite the ticket for simply the change fee.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
.... Is the above a single $75 fee? And, if so, does a phone call make it $100 total? ...
no phone call fee on modifying an existing reservation -- only on the original booking (unless status waiver).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
single (Some older style {most gone} 3-class sUA 777 aircraft provide noise canceling headsets in premium cabins and they are different double style jack but the single jack headsets work for them)
In the new sCO BF seat, I always have double-jack. On the new sUA seat, both GF and BF, I have a 3-prong (double-prong plus the third for the noise cancelling).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking to buy my parents E+ on a few upcoming flights, but I can't find the prices listed on UA.com. Anyone know how much to expect?
  • EWR-TLV
  • EWR-PBI
  • EWR-LAX
  • EWR-LAS
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Looking to buy my parents E+ on a few upcoming flights, but I can't find the prices listed on UA.com. Anyone know how much to expect?
It's dynamic, but tends to be around $100 for over water, less for shorter flights.

You should be able to get the exact price by clicking on the rez and selecting upgrade IIRC. Lost my status about three years ago and was looking to u/g my SFO-NRT flight to E+ and the price changed slightly as the flight date approached.

EmailKid
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick response! They don't have the reservations booked yet, which is why I can't just click them. Wanted to get an estimate before they booked the flights. I think I remember exit rows and bulkhead being around $149 and $139, so I guess just over $100 makes sense for those flights.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:06 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Award ticketing question:

Can I book an award using my Platinum account, and have the miles deducted from another MP account? I'm trying to avoid the expensive mileage transfer + enjoy the $0 changes as a Plat...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joony
...Can I book an award using my Platinum account, and have the miles deducted from another MP account? I'm trying to avoid the expensive mileage transfer + enjoy the $0 changes as a Plat...
no -- the fees / rules are based on the account from which the miles are drawn.

Thanks for the quick response! They don't have the reservations booked yet, which is why I can't just click them. Wanted to get an estimate before they booked the flights. I think I remember exit rows and bulkhead being around $149 and $139, so I guess just over $100 makes sense for those flights.
the hover over the seat map pricing readout works without completing the purchase -- just start a dummy booking and you can get the answer.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the hover over the seat map pricing readout works without completing the purchase -- just start a dummy booking and you can get the answer.
All that got me was "E+ reserved for blah blah and can be purchased after ticket is booked." Should I go all the way through by inputting traveler information as well?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Mileage credit on Lufthansa?

Been looking at some itineraries to Europe that include a leg on Lufthansa and the Award Miles/Premier Qualifying fields are blank for that leg. Has there been a change to this, or is the mileage chart at
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298
still good?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Michilander
Been looking at some itineraries to Europe that include a leg on Lufthansa and the Award Miles/Premier Qualifying fields are blank for that leg. Has there been a change to this, or is the mileage chart at
still good?
The chart is still accurate. The reservations and flight search pages are unreliable when it comes to partner earning rates.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Michilander
still good?
Ignore the miles shown on the itinerary screen (especially the PQM and or bonus miles), they're wrong more often than they're right. The milage chart is the correct source for figuring out what you'll get, but you need to know what LH fare class you'll book into not what the equivalent UA class is. On intra-Europe discount economy flights you'll often not earn miles, but it depends and is hard to know before booking; for TATL you'll generally be OK (in my experience).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:30 am

All that got me was "E+ reserved for blah blah and can be purchased after ticket is booked." Should I go all the way through by inputting traveler information as well?
select the flights, enter the traveler info and get to the normal seat selection step - at this point the cost of E+ should be available by hovering over an E+ seat (note price will vary depending on location).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.