Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
many do award books (especially to popular destinations as soon as possible -- but inventory is not always made available as soon as the flight is on the system)
I've never been terribly sucessful at seeing award inventory loaded at 330 days out, but perhaps I've been unlucky. Do you see UA (or more importantly other *A carriers) loading award inventory that early?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alex_b
I've never been terribly sucessful at seeing award inventory loaded at 330 days out, but perhaps I've been unlucky. Do you see UA (or more importantly other *A carriers) loading award inventory that early?
I have grabbed space at 330 days out PMUA and there have been reports (for AC I believe) of nearly 340 days and more for others AND I have seen no award space at 330, 300, ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...y-airline.html

and PM http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-ua-does.html
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:39 am

Hello! I have a question about United's checked baggage fees.

In a few months I will be taking an award itinerary I booked through United.com:

1. NRT-YYC United codeshare on Air Canada flight
spend a few days in Calgary
2. YYC-DEN United Express flight
spend a few days in Colorado
3. DEN-NRT United nonstop flight (assuming the Dreamliner is back in service)

The United representative I talked to on the phone indicated that Air Canada's baggage policy for the Tokyo-Calgary leg applies to all three flights, in which case I would be able to bring two bags for free at 50 pounds apiece... but I am still concerned that I'll get slapped with fees when I attempt to check in for my flight to Denver at the Calgary airport. Can someone clarify what the actual rule is for a stopover of this sort?

Also, on United.com's checked baggage fee calculator it appears the current policy is 2 free checked bags on USA-JPN itineraries, but when I plug in the actual date of my flight in June the fee for the second bag jumps up to $100. Did some searching but couldn't find anything about a fee increase. In any case, it seems the policy that was in effect when I ticketed this (last fall) would be the one that applies.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azuljugo
Hello! I have a question about United's checked baggage fees.

In a few months I will be taking an award itinerary I booked through United.com:

1. NRT-YYC United codeshare on Air Canada flight
spend a few days in Calgary
2. YYC-DEN United Express flight
spend a few days in Colorado
3. DEN-NRT United nonstop flight (assuming the Dreamliner is back in service)

The United representative I talked to on the phone indicated that Air Canada's baggage policy for the Tokyo-Calgary leg applies to all three flights, in which case I would be able to bring two bags for free at 50 pounds apiece... but I am still concerned that I'll get slapped with fees when I attempt to check in for my flight to Denver at the Calgary airport. Can someone clarify what the actual rule is for a stopover of this sort?

Also, on United.com's checked baggage fee calculator it appears the current policy is 2 free checked bags on USA-JPN itineraries, but when I plug in the actual date of my flight in June the fee for the second bag jumps up to $100. Did some searching but couldn't find anything about a fee increase. In any case, it seems the policy that was in effect when I ticketed this (last fall) would be the one that applies.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
US DOT rules apply to this itinerary which means that the carrier's rules on the initial flight count for the whole journey. I have found UA pretty good on this, but if they're not and they try and sting you for fees on later segments remind them of the DOT rules. If that doesn't work, pay the fees by credit card and immediately file a complain with UA and the DOT.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
US DOT rules apply to this itinerary which means that the carrier's rules on the initial flight count for the whole journey. I have found UA pretty good on this, but if they're not and they try and sting you for fees on later segments remind them of the DOT rules. If that doesn't work, pay the fees by credit card and immediately file a complain with UA and the DOT.
Great, thanks! ^
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: United Gold
I'm flying DEN-HNL on this type of 777-200. If I am CPUed from coach to business, is there any method to get a further upgrade to first?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I'm flying DEN-HNL on this type of 777-200. If I am CPUed from coach to business, is there any method to get a further upgrade to first?
There might be a cash offer at OLCI but no method via miles or RPU/GPU.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There might be a cash offer at OLCI but no method via miles or RPU/GPU.
Thanks WineCountryUA. If there is still space in first and the price is right, I just might try it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:10 pm

I’m looking to book a transborder UA flight to YYC, and booking via AC codeshare (UA metal) is cheaper than directly booking the same flight on UA.

Am I understanding correctly that if I supply my MP# when booking via AC, I’ll be eligible for the usual upgrades and whatnot based on my MP status?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by emmpee
I’m looking to book a transborder UA flight to YYC, and booking via AC codeshare (UA metal) is cheaper than directly booking the same flight on UA.

Am I understanding correctly that if I supply my MP# when booking via AC, I’ll be eligible for the usual upgrades and whatnot based on my MP status?
yes, as long as the flight is UA operated.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:27 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
is HKG-SIN operated by a B744 again? I checked the seatmaps yesterday and it shows a B744 while a year ago this segment was changed to a 737?!

If so, I guess upgrade chances look good!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mxr
is HKG-SIN operated by a B744 again? ....
for awhile, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...747-400-a.html
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
"There has been a modification to your reservation..."

Every time an upgrade is cleared from the waitlist on my ticketed reservations I receive the message above. It's a real PITA for me to call United all the time as this happens very frequently (fortunately ). Despite this message I can still select a seat in the upgraded cabin or make other modifications to the reservation online. What I want to know is, is it necessary to call United? Are there any consequences of not calling United to get the reservation updated? Thanks. Iain
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IainC
Every time an upgrade is cleared from the waitlist on my ticketed reservations I receive the message above. It's a real PITA for me to call United all the time as this happens very frequently (fortunately ). Despite this message I can still select a seat in the upgraded cabin or make other modifications to the reservation online. What I want to know is, is it necessary to call United? Are there any consequences of not calling United to get the reservation updated? Thanks. Iain
I've only seen this once, and it was after I got upgraded after I had done a Same-Day Change, but I have not seen it any other time--normal upgrades don't cause any issues for me.

I suppose there's no harm in not calling as long as your reservation appears intact, but note that you may encounter difficulty checking in. If that happens, then in the worst case, you may need to call and have your ticket resynced in order to process your check-in, or you may need to go to an agent at the airport and have them resync your ticket (i.e. match your PNR--your electronic reservation--with the VCR--the electronic record that stores your tickets; if there's a mismatch, it won't allow you to check in) before they print your boarding pass.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:09 pm

"There has been a modification to your reservation..." can come from a number of reasons, for me it has been a waitlist upgrade has clear.

The biggest downside I have experience in OLCI. Have been some reports the message will self clear have a period of time (there may be a background clear up process). Others have thought of the message appears for other reasons it may hung up the upgrade process.

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ervations.html for a longer discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.