Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Advice 1: Welcome to FT
Advice 2: Read, read, read. Most of what you asked is answered herein.
Advice 3: Shorter post next time

To answer your questions in succession:
1. Your SJU ticket will earn 4 PQS, not 2. It will earn miles as reflected on the UA website. IIRC, P earns 125 or 150% of the miles shown, not sure.

2. Monitor the mileage run deals forum here on FT (filed under miles and points)

3. I do not know how flex perks work but I am sure others here do or there is other info on this website you can refer to.

4. I dont think you can move your US miles to UA. It would be better to just burn them on upgrades or for a domestic round trip coach ticket. You can get saver coach round trip within the US for 25k miles on US.

Good luck and welcome.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:19 pm

The best way to build your account is to build in as many connections - and out of the way if possible - that you can. Flying ORD-SFO, then connect in IAH. Flying ORD-IAH, connect in EWR or IAD if the fare allows. Better yet, go for the double connections. ORD-CLE-IAH-DFW is much better than ORD-DFW nonstop. Same thing goes with international. Skip the ORD-LHR flight, go for ORD-IAD-MUC-LHR.

FF miles are great, but don't overpay to fly on UA. If OAL is significantly (say more than $25) more, then UA doesn't deserve your business.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ddrost1
1. Your SJU ticket will earn 4 PQS, not 2. It will earn miles as reflected on the UA website. IIRC, P earns 125 or 150% of the miles shown, not sure....
ORD-IAH-SJU is a base 2,932 PQMs each way and the P fare will probably a one way 50% bonus -- so 2,932 + 2,932 (1.5) ==> 7,330 PQMs

Originally Posted by PJV33
2nd to Last thing, through work , I can usually book my flights through my FlexPerks account on Travelocity and earn my full miles on UA through a Star Alliance partner. If I book using these flex points, do they count as PQM or just standard miles? ...
neither -- Flexperks are completely separate from MP, If you book a flight using FlexPerks that flight will earn UA MP PQM/RDMs just like a flight purchased with cash.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Welcome to flyertalk. I've been a member less than a year, and it's amazing how much info has been shared on this site. The first question I would ask is what are you trying to get, and how much is it worth to you? Once you figure that out, then you can figure out how to get what you want. For me, it's the cost benefit analysis that matters.

I've started flying ORD-IAH-EWR instead of direct because it's 2300 miles instead of 700. The challenge is not losing an extra day at work. If you plan some international trips, you probably get status via miles instead of segments, so focus on that. For example AMS-EWR-IAH-ORD is about 40 miles more than AMS-IAH-ORD, but you save a lot of time flying.

I agree with the other posters recommendations regarding the mileage run forums. Have fun
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:39 pm

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EmailKid
FWIW, Biz is barcalounger on 777 and lie flat FC.

EmailKid
Yeah, I've learned since applying my two precious RPUs that not only is it a barcalounger, meal service is "here, have a beef wrap"; there's no longer any choice of meal (I applied the RPUs back in early December, over a month before this "change that I'll like" kicked in ). Departure will be choice-less lunch, return (~7hr red-eye landing at almost 9am) will be "refreshments" (cold plate). Hence the curiosity about what the odds were of an accidental "double upgrade"; just for kicks I'll be doing OLCI at T-24 and seeing if a buy-up pops up...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by puckthescientist
Yeah, I've learned since applying my two precious RPUs that not only is it a barcalounger, meal service is "here, have a beef wrap"; there's no longer any choice of meal (I applied the RPUs back in early December, over a month before this "change that I'll like" kicked in ).
I've done those flight twice on the last half year (on the way to MNL and back), and only once did I get lie flat bed seats.

The long term plan is to keep the Hawaii 777s in the barcalounger configuration as it's considered a leisure route.

I've never done it, but understand you can call UA and ask them to refund your RPU and put you back in coach, though it may require original fare class. That way you would be able to keep Biz for the redeye and fly coach on the way to Hawaii since it's a daytime flight.

EmailKid
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
What's the best Star Alliance partner to Asia for economy class in terms of comfort, food, and service?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: United Gold
I've heard of Silvers getting CPUed on the HNL-DEN flight on the 777-200 (ver.3), so I wouldn't RPU that flight, just get the CPU and then hope for the offer at OLCI.

Wouldn't that be the same thing as using an RPU and then hoping for the offer at OLCI? Or is it somehow different?

Originally Posted by copilot5
What's the best Star Alliance partner to Asia for economy class in terms of comfort, food, and service?
Having never flown economy to Asia on a Star Alliance partner, I'm not sure, my best guess would be Singapore Airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I've heard of Silvers getting CPUed on the HNL-DEN flight on the 777-200 (ver.3), so I wouldn't RPU that flight, just get the CPU and then hope for the offer at OLCI.

Wouldn't that be the same thing as using an RPU and then hoping for the offer at OLCI? Or is it somehow different? ...
differences
RPUs can create prior to CPU (even at booking sometimes)
RPUs have priority over CPU
You have a limited number of RPUs
RPUs add more probability but at a cost.

Assume CPU will workout is always a risk.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
differences
RPUs can create prior to CPU (even at booking sometimes)
RPUs have priority over CPU
You have a limited number of RPUs
RPUs add more probability but at a cost.
Completely agree with all that, but does the initial upgrade method somehow affect the OLCI offer? Would someone who used an RPU get the offer before someone that CPUed?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:34 pm

Completely agree with all that, but does the initial upgrade method somehow affect the OLCI offer? Would someone who used an RPU get the offer before someone that CPUed?
First you have to assume the CPU is just as likely as the RPU. Then assuming both work, there has been no clarity in which upgraders are then offered a further cash upgrade -- the system clearly has that info and it is anyone's guess if the first upgrade method effects the offer -- but if the CPU cleared after OLCI, you might never see the offer. Operationally it looks like the CPU has a lower chance (given the RPU may clear earlier).
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by copilot5
I value legroom in coach over anything else, so UA gets my vote for E+ in spite of LOUSY in flight experience in other aspects. I'd fly 777s since they have entertainment including retrofitted 777s with AVOD.

If you can spring for a little more and wait until Eva Air joins *, their Premium Economy is very, very nice. Though I haven't flown them recently since I am chasing UA status

EmailKid
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:54 am

I have a 75 minute connection in DEN arriving from YVR connecting to HNL. I've never been through immigration at DEN, how is it usually? I'll be arriving at 10:45am, will not have any checked luggage, and am a Global Entry member.

Will I have enough time to make the connection?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I have a 75 minute connection in DEN arriving from YVR connecting to HNL. I've never been through immigration at DEN, how is it usually? I'll be arriving at 10:45am, will not have any checked luggage, and am a Global Entry member.

Will I have enough time to make the connection?
YVR is a preclearance airport meaning you'll land in DEN as a domestic passenger.

Last edited by alex_b; Mar 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reason: Edited - Definitely preclearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.