Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LAXative
Question: Are status matches to pmUA (I know I know) still limited to once per lifetime? .....
presently there seems to be a 5 year rule (for the status match offer on the web site)
Offer is not valid for members who have participated in the OnePass or MileagePlus status match program within the last 5 years.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:05 pm

If you pay $75 to change an existing award ticket, are you able to make a second additional change with 24 hours for free or would you owe another $75?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onlybeef42
If you pay $75 to change an existing award ticket, are you able to make a second additional change with 24 hours for free or would you owe another $75?
The latter.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:07 am
RNE

Originally Posted by onlybeef42
But definitely press your case for no fee—especially so soon after the previous change.

An unscrupulous person might claim one's previous instructions were misunderstood or executed in error and therefore one's current instructions should be followed at no charge. Not that I'm advocating subterfuge, mind you. But ask yourself this: Would a scrupulous airline charge people $75 for something that costs it practically nothing? Multiple times!?

RNE, you know what I think.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Would like to clarify, what exactly is the earning rate with T class on SAS on an intra european flight? It says 100% Base & 100% PQM on the website chart. However, when booking on united.com, it says 25% PQM on the booking engine.

Which is it?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:41 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dfs24
Would like to clarify, what exactly is the earning rate with T class on SAS on an intra european flight? It says 100% Base & 100% PQM on the website chart. However, when booking on united.com, it says 25% PQM on the booking engine.

Which is it?
Most posters agree that the chart is correct.

My UA codeshare on AC shows 0% PQM from Europe to Canada in C, and that is clearly wrong.

EmailKid
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

Which is it?
Ignore the booking engine it's wrong more often than it's right. The charts are what you should go by. Just one word of warning, if you're booking on UA.com you'll need to check what the UA fare class is mapping to on SAS metal; it isn't always T->T etc. Unfortunately the only way to check is to book it and then call SAS.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:34 pm

Thanks both of you for your replies.

Originally Posted by alex_b
Ignore the booking engine it's wrong more often than it's right. The charts are what you should go by. Just one word of warning, if you're booking on UA.com you'll need to check what the UA fare class is mapping to on SAS metal; it isn't always T->T etc. Unfortunately the only way to check is to book it and then call SAS.
Okay. To further clarify, you mean to say that when I book on UA.com, for a SK flight in Europe that has an SK flight number (No codeshare) , even though it says T, it might not be the case?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:20 pm

Okay. To further clarify, you mean to say that when I book on UA.com, for a SK flight in Europe that has an SK flight number (No codeshare) , even though it says T, it might not be the case?
No. The "T" booking class part will be accurate if it is not a codeshare. The earning rates next to that are, quite often, incorrect for partners.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
No. The "T" booking class part will be accurate if it is not a codeshare. The earning rates next to that are, quite often, incorrect for partners.
Alright then. Thanks alot.

I have a couple more questions. Due to changes in plans, I am now stuck with these flights, and have some questions.

Flying LAS-LAX in Y arriving at 19:00+
and
Flying LAX-JFK-FRA in J on UA PS/LH the following morning at 06:07

Both flights are on separate PNR and revenue tickets. I have no status with any *A programmes.

1. Is it possible to check the bags from LAS-FRA?
2. Will priority baggage handling be granted if point 1 is possible
3. Is it right to assume that it will cost me $25 for 1 bag if they manage to check through?
4. Is it possible to pay $75 change to the PS departure the night before? As this is theoretically not a "same day" change. I thought changing would be a good idea because I only have a 79min transfer in JFK.
5. If all the above fails, can I check in for the LAX-JFK-FRA flight the night before? (Meaning at 20:00+ in LAX)

It's a long list of questions. Appreciate any help!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:06 am

1. Is it possible to check the bags from LAS-FRA?
It is theoretically possible, but it depends on the agent. Also, with a 12+ hour connection that introduces some issus where they might not want to hold the bags that long (and, quite frankly, I probably wouldn't want them to).
2. Will priority baggage handling be granted if point 1 is possible
Based on being in business class for the LAX-FRA, yes.
3. Is it right to assume that it will cost me $25 for 1 bag if they manage to check through?
Should be free based on the business class bit.
4. Is it possible to pay $75 change to the PS departure the night before? As this is theoretically not a "same day" change. I thought changing would be a good idea because I only have a 79min transfer in JFK.
"Same day" in this context means within 24 hours of the original flight. So you are eligible for that. The cost depends on your fare but, assuming there is a fee and you have no status, the $75 is correct.
5. If all the above fails, can I check in for the LAX-JFK-FRA flight the night before? (Meaning at 20:00+ in LAX)
Check in, yes. Drop bags, no.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred
n00b question that seems best posted here:

Flying three-class bird DEN-HNL-DEN soon and applied two RPUs back when I bought my ticket that immediately cleared to biz class. Am I right to assume that applying the RPU means that I am now no longer CPU-eligible and will therefore not be waitlisted for an upgrade to F?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by puckthescientist
n00b question that seems best posted here:

Flying three-class bird DEN-HNL-DEN soon and applied two RPUs back when I bought my ticket that immediately cleared to biz class. Am I right to assume that applying the RPU means that I am now no longer CPU-eligible and will therefore not be waitlisted for an upgrade to F?
Correct. You may be offered a buy up to F at checkin but only because the systems are broken.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by puckthescientist
Am I right to assume that applying the RPU means that I am now no longer CPU-eligible and will therefore not be waitlisted for an upgrade to F?
You assume correctly. Officially there is no such thing double upgrade.

Originally Posted by alex_b
Correct. You may be offered a buy up to F at checkin but only because the systems are broken.
Also correct, although reports of double upgrades aren't as frequent as they used to be.

FWIW, Biz is barcalounger on 777 and lie flat FC.

EmailKid
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:21 pm

NEWBIE - how to earn quickest mileage/various other UA MP questions

Hey all. First time poster, short time lurker. I just found out about FT not too long ago from a fellow FT'er on my EWR - ORD last week. I wish I knew about this earlier! I literally read over 125 of the pages on the UA forum and i'm very interested now.

Few questions, sorry if this is in the wrong spot, i'm new and i'll learn very quickly, I promise.
About me - Chase United Mileage Explorer Card Holder, United Dining and Shopping earner as well. Based out of ORD, always looking for ways to earn more miles now.

I am booked on ORD-IAH 1647 T and IAH-SJU 1202 T in May and my return SJU-IAH 1157 P and IAH -ORD 1091 P
I paid full fare (roughly $550) on United.com back in January.

I had no idea about the value of PQM, regular miles, even the program until very recently. I got the Chase United Mileage Explorer Card last week as well so I know I did something right. My benefits kicked in already as my checked bags fee dropped from 25$ to 0$ and my United Club Cards came the week after my card.

I am having trouble figuring out the PQM earnings rate and ways to earn more miles for my flights as of now. I am in T for the first 2 legs with 2 hours layover in IAH. I am in P on the return with 3 hr layover in IAH.

How can I maximize my mileage earnings while not breaking the bank on these flights or should I stick with my original itinerary? i'm open to adding a stop if it fits the schedule to earn more miles. Also, do these flights count as 2 flight segments for my Premier Silver/Gold earnings or 4 because I have 4 different flight #'s?

Second question (sorry if this a little long)
I would absolutely LOVE to travel to Europe routinely to visit some family I don't see often enough. The 3 main airports I would be able to go to would be FRA, AMS, and LHR and I live near ORD so that would be my main airport, I have family in EWR areas so layovers/overnights aren't a problem.
Is there a strategy to obtaining the cheapest flights possible to those destinations directly? I check the usual places and flight searches (google, bing, travelocity etc) I would have no problem bouncing around different airports with various layovers to maximize my miles earning and see new places, even if it's just the terminal. I have a valid passport and could use the stamps too!

I usually fly economy but with all this new information and benefits I'm hoping to be able to start upgrading for free or with miles for the longer flights so I want to earn a lot of miles as easily as possible.
I have a very unique situation at work where I would be an ideal candidate for mileage running within the US on weekends or 1-2 day trips and maybe the once every month or so international, depending on the price/time obviously.

2nd to Last thing, through work , I can usually book my flights through my FlexPerks account on Travelocity and earn my full miles on UA through a Star Alliance partner. If I book using these flex points, do they count as PQM or just standard miles?

finally , last thing! In October and December I flew UA and LH ORD-FRA, FRA-ORD, ORD-LHR-FRA, FRA-ORD. I stupidly credited these miles to an old USAir account I had and now have them (26000) sitting on an airline I am no longer interested in using. Since I earned them on UA and LH, based on what I have read there is no way for me to transfer these to my UA account, am I correct? Should I just use them to upgrade one of my flights on UA or just find a nice one way flight somewhere and burn them up.

Thank you for listening to me, after I am more informed I will for sure attempt to contribute more and hopefully become one of you elite earners and flyers soon enough!

-PJV33

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.