Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:13 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I just realised something:

How do I manage to get on the CPU list when I have a German passport and online check-in doesnt work for me when flying to HKG or SIN. Everytime I flew from EWR to HKG the check-in had to be proceeded and double-checked by an agent.
What do I need to do, in order to get on the CPU list for HKG-SIN in this case?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mxr
Checkin at the airport.

On the bright side, many others will be in the same boat as you

EmailKid
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:51 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Checkin at the airport.

On the bright side, many others will be in the same boat as you

EmailKid
doesnt that also mean that chances are reduced? How about all american passport holders, they will be on the list earlier if they opt for online check-in... sorry im new to UA. Or do american passport holders have the same problem when checking in for SIN/HKG/NRT flights?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mxr
doesnt that also mean that chances are reduced? How about all american passport holders, they will be on the list earlier if they opt for online check-in...
UA's int'l checkin is hit and miss, and especially overseas mostly miss.

I suspect most US passport holders will be forced to checkin at the airport as well, but most likely some will be able to checkin and reduce your chances.

EmailKid
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mxr
I just realised something:

How do I manage to get on the CPU list when I have a German passport and online check-in doesnt work for me when flying to HKG or SIN. Everytime I flew from EWR to HKG the check-in had to be proceeded and double-checked by an agent.
Same thing...get fully checked in.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:45 am

Miles for children

I am brand new to using miles and FF programs so forgive me if this is a silly question. Do I need to have a separate MileagePlus account for my 7yo son? All of my travels will be with him. When I book flights for us, do the award miles for both tickets go to my account, or just the miles for my ticket? Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by MamaBear05
I am brand new to using miles and FF programs so forgive me if this is a silly question. Do I need to have a separate MileagePlus account for my 7yo son? All of my travels will be with him. When I book flights for us, do the award miles for both tickets go to my account, or just the miles for my ticket? Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, you need a separate account for your son. You will not earn points for his travel in your account, even if you are flying together.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:12 am

Thank you so much sbm12!

I am trying to learn as much as I can from these forums. There is so much to know to make it work.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, *G, FlyingClub
Question about splitting PNR - Aruba reservations for 4

Quick quesitons that I am hoping someone can clarify.

Have tickets for 4 EWR to AUA in April. I am Premier Gold. United.com let us select 2 of us to E+ and 2 in E. (wife and 2 x 5 yo twin boys). All tickets on same PNR. Everyone else has MP account with no status.

Would appreciate help with the following:

(1) Do I need to manually split PNR for myself and 1 kid to have a shot at CPU? Or will the system do this on its own? Will it impact my seats in E+ if we don't get upgraded? Will the system upgrade me without my companion?

(2) I know that United might count this as domestic from a CPU perspective, but does this mean that we cannot access lounge in EWR as Star Gold? (e.g. not international)?

(2b) Will the contract lounge in AUA allow Star Gold +1 in?

(3) Assuming 2 above is a no go, I have 4 club passes that I don't think have expired yet. Is there a min age for entry to the lounges in EWR (I know I have seen family rooms etc).

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tbakes
Quick quesitons that I am hoping someone can clarify.

Have tickets for 4 EWR to AUA in April. I am Premier Gold. United.com let us select 2 of us to E+ and 2 in E. (wife and 2 x 5 yo twin boys). All tickets on same PNR. Everyone else has MP account with no status.

Would appreciate help with the following:

(1) Do I need to manually split PNR for myself and 1 kid to have a shot at CPU? Or will the system do this on its own? Will it impact my seats in E+ if we don't get upgraded? Will the system upgrade me without my companion?

(2) I know that United might count this as domestic from a CPU perspective, but does this mean that we cannot access lounge in EWR as Star Gold? (e.g. not international)?

(2b) Will the contract lounge in AUA allow Star Gold +1 in?

(3) Assuming 2 above is a no go, I have 4 club passes that I don't think have expired yet. Is there a min age for entry to the lounges in EWR (I know I have seen family rooms etc).

Thanks in advance
1) Yes. Personally with a small child and as 'only' a Premier Gold I think that it's not worth the risk of it breaking things downstream. It shouldn't affect E+ etc, but most people's experience is that it will break things. This could mean that the 5-year old sitting with you may well wind up on their own in E- somewhere which will be a pain to unwind. You might want to carefully watch the inventory via Advanced Mode on united.com and if you see RN>2 in the Gold upgrade window (i.e. <48hrs out) phone in and see if you can get pushed into First as a pair; you probably wont see that happen and even if you do you might have difficulty persuading an agent to do it, but it's much safer than hoping a UA IT system will work correctly.

2) This is international as far as *G lounge access goes. But it's +1, not +3 and your 5 year olds generally count (although you might get away with it).

2b) I can't see a AUA lounge listed on the Star Alliance lounge finder, ask at checkin as the note says "d. At some departing airports, a contract lounge may be available. Invitation to access the lounge will be presented to the customer during check-in."

3) No minimum age when accompanied by an adult.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:40 pm

Two very simple questions...

I'm flying on Mileage Plus awards from EWR to FRA on Lufthansa. Do I check in at United or Lufthansa? Also I'm arriving at the airport six hours early. How soon can I drop off my baggage?
Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by megldata
Two very simple questions...

I'm flying on Mileage Plus awards from EWR to FRA. Do I check in at United or Lufthansa? Also I'm arriving at the airport six hours early. How soon can I drop off my baggage?
Thanks!
If it's a LH operated flight then checkin at LH. Checkin officially opens 4 hours before departure, but unless it's an early flight you should be able to drop bags before that.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was booked on the LAS-EWR redeye last night and used miles to upgrade the leg. I decided to SDC and leave on the 4pm so i could get home earlier. Can i request the miles be redeposited? or do i lose them since the upgrade cleared?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I was booked on the LAS-EWR redeye last night and used miles to upgrade the leg. I decided to SDC and leave on the 4pm so i could get home earlier. Can i request the miles be redeposited? or do i lose them since the upgrade cleared?
If you were upgraded on the segment you flew then you get no miles back. If you were in coach then call and you should be able to get them back.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you were upgraded on the segment you flew then you get no miles back. If you were in coach then call and you should be able to get them back.
Yea I was in coach on the earlier flight. I will give them a call. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.