Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by reverted
Why do you prefer 1A & 2A as opposed to 1K & 2K? Just wondering
Not sure, but I can guess: Same side of the plane as you deplane, so you are off the plane a tiny bit sooner on arrival. But 1K isn't terrible on that front either because you can follow the A side of the aircraft for deplaning.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 2MM
For me, 2A or 2K are my favorites when flying alone. More privacy. But 1A/K are a great second choice, and my first choice when traveling with my wife.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
^ My favorite seat of the whole UA fleet.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
1A & 2A are my go-to seats!
My 1A = T-6, and sooo looking forward to a nice quiet cabin and great sleeping seat.

Do you think that the cabin crew would mind if we erect a curtain barrier that would separate 1AK from the rest of the cabin, giving Mrs747FC and me a bit more privacy?

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 22, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: Properly addressing the Mrs...
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 747FC
My 1A = T-6, and sooo looking forward to a nice quiet cabin and great sleeping seat.

Do you think that the cabin crew would mind if we erect a curtain barrier that would separate 1AK from the rest of the cabin, giving Mrs474FC and me a bit more privacy?
Suuuuuuuuuuure! No problem! Good luck!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Suuuuuuuuuuure! No problem! Good luck!
It would make for a great TR!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Is anybody able to confirm that the 'G' seats in E+ still do not have a box in the floor space? I tend to avoid aisle seats in general because of the smaller space for your personal bag - at least that's how I am with WN flights.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
GF roller storage?

According to SeatGuru, there's not a whole lot of overhead storage for the 12 passengers in a 744 GF cabin. If, as usual, I saunter in among the last to board the metal tube, where can I expect a roller bag to be stowed? And if I'm in 1A, will a backpack also have to find a home elsewhere? Flying OGG-LHR via SFO and am not entertaining the thought of UA having a checked bag for a 7 hour layover.

p.s. - I know the answer is in one or more of these 169 pages, but....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
According to SeatGuru, there's not a whole lot of overhead storage for the 12 passengers in a 744 GF cabin. If, as usual, I saunter in among the last to board the metal tube, where can I expect a roller bag to be stowed? And if I'm in 1A, will a backpack also have to find a home elsewhere? Flying OGG-LHR via SFO and am not entertaining the thought of UA having a checked bag for a 7 hour layover.

p.s. - I know the answer is in one or more of these 169 pages, but....
Ok - I used to be one of those that really like 1A/1K in spite of feeling like you are staring at a wall. My last two trips have changed my mind - two reasons:

1) NO overhead storage. If you board late, like I do - your roller-board is back in J somewhere (and if your backpack can't be crushed into the side storage kiss that goodbye as well)...

2) The coat closet (between 1a/1k) can make a LOT of noise if not stuffed full. On my last flight from ORD to NRT it drove me nuts for half the whole flight (it was a bit bumpy) and I was trying to sleep...

My new favorites are 2A/2K if travelling alone - you get overhead space and less noise...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks. The wall I don't mind - I'm hoping to be staring at the back of my eyelids since it will be my 2nd overnight on a plane. I moved to 3K (best-available) because I can already (thanks to you) hear the banging in the closet. I'm also resigning myself to board early and grab bin.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan

My new favorites are 2A/2K if travelling alone - you get overhead space and less noise...
You only get that space is earlier-boarding residents of rows 1 have not already taken it. And I have to admit, I am not proud of this but the last time I flew in 1K I did stuff my rollaboard into the bin above 2K because the passenger was nowhere in sight, and then when he did board, late, he had a minor quandary finding space for his carryon. Snooze you lose, I guess......
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Row 19 bulkhead

Any thoughts on aisle seat center section of row 19? I have the choice of that vs. one of the last E+ aisle seats left. Is the legroom pretty short in 19? Night flight so will try to sleep. Always feel the bulkhead feels less claustrophobic, but what about the leg room?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Any thoughts on aisle seat center section of row 19? I have the choice of that vs. one of the last E+ aisle seats left. Is the legroom pretty short in 19? Night flight so will try to sleep. Always feel the bulkhead feels less claustrophobic, but what about the leg room?
Don't do it. The screen will be literally right in front of your face.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The last few posts have convinced me to try 2K. I'm flying FRA-SFO in two weeks in GF (purchased J, GPU to F). I'll report back after I take the flight. I've only ever flown 1A in GF on a 747 and I thought it was fine. I'm wondering if the mini closet they have between 2A and 2K is going to be particularly noisy. FRA-SFO will be my third flight of the day with another to go after that so I'm going to be tired and wanting to sleep.

-RM
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Strictly a matter of opinion - Bucket list question, flying 747 if it means E-

Just looking for your opinions here, I'll give you the contributing info and you guys can go hog wild

Flying to MNL...outbound will be ANA (who I have some experience with in Y/J and older/newer aircrafts, service is great, AVOD can be good/bad but either way leaves something to be desired).

Return, I have a few options, ANA 777, CA 777...or UA 747! Now, before everyone shoots for ANA, here's my dilemma.

Price is basically a non-factor (not cuz I'm rich, but they're basically the same and the miles are as well) I have elite status with AC so no preferred seats will be paid for on any flights (AC is pricier on the dates so I'm not really gonna go for that).

I'm an AV geek like many of you may be, I've never flown a 747 before and I've always wanted to. The UA 747s appear to be the worst, but this may be one of my only shots at flying one since I don't forsee flying LH anywhere and most of the other operators don't apply to me as I won't have a reason/chance to fly them.

So for someone trying to cross something off a bit of a bucket list, is it worth the pain of flying E- on a 747 just once? It'd be NRT-SFO if that makes any difference and I'll be travelling solo. Or is it SOOOO bad, that I should wait/look for another opportunity another time?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:15 am Reason: added question to title
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Just looking for your opinions here, I'll give you the contributing info and you guys can go hog wild

Flying to MNL...outbound will be ANA (who I have some experience with in Y/J and older/newer aircrafts, service is great, AVOD can be good/bad but either way leaves something to be desired).

Return, I have a few options, ANA 777, CA 777...or UA 747! Now, before everyone shoots for ANA, here's my dilemma.

Price is basically a non-factor (not cuz I'm rich, but they're basically the same and the miles are as well) I have elite status with AC so no preferred seats will be paid for on any flights (AC is pricier on the dates so I'm not really gonna go for that).

I'm an AV geek like many of you may be, I've never flown a 747 before and I've always wanted to. The UA 747s appear to be the worst, but this may be one of my only shots at flying one since I don't forsee flying LH anywhere and most of the other operators don't apply to me as I won't have a reason/chance to fly them.

So for someone trying to cross something off a bit of a bucket list, is it worth the pain of flying E- on a 747 just once? It'd be NRT-SFO if that makes any difference and I'll be travelling solo. Or is it SOOOO bad, that I should wait/look for another opportunity another time?
Ticket the 747 flight in E-; Then buy-up to E+ on your own dime. Bring a book to read or whatever for entertainment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.