Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Why would it take so long when the original one was so quick?
It is actually the combined Omicron/flu vaccine that will be ready in 2023, my bad, it seems that they are also testing a separate Omicron one...

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ch-2022-01-17/
RB211 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
The science based podcasts I have been listening to seem to infer that whilst the manufacturers were looking to do an update to the vaccine based on specific variants previously, what seems to be more under discussion recently would be a general vaccine update that wouldn't be specific to variants but can 'train' the vaccine to create immunity that can look for a broader signature of the virus and the ways mutations could and are likely to develop over time. I think I understood this might make the focus of the detection move away from the spike protein as this is likely to change with each mutation but I might have misunderstood that point. And I'm not a virologist!
That would be a smart approach, although viruses have a habit of changing just enough in the right places to undermine sciences best efforts. In addition, if the next virus is as weak (in causing health effects, in general) to Omicron as Omicron was to Delta/Delta+, then the law of diminishing returns might start to become a factor here.

rb211.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC
BBC Radio news has just reported that BoJo has said fully vaccinated inbound to UK travellers will not need the by-day-2 lateral flow test. No further detail yet, including the date that this change will apply from.

BoJo obviously taking the glory for this concession.

Edit: and it's on the BBC website...

BBC News - Covid travel tests to be axed in England for double vaccinated
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60109945

People arriving in England from abroad will no longer have to take Covid tests if they have been fully vaccinated, the Prime Minister has confirmed.

Boris Johnson said the further relaxation of the travel rules was designed to show that the country was open to travellers and business.

He did not confirm when the current rules would be scrapped, but ministers are set to meet later on Monday.
Internaut, Silver Fox and DaveS like this.

Last edited by plunet; Jan 24, 2022 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Tough decision for Drakeford and Sturgeon now.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
So it seems that they are dropping the inbound Day 2 on 11/2. I can understand why they can't bring in new regulations instantly as they need to get their ducks in a row, but it would be easy to drop a requirement easily - all you do is stop asking for it.

Now they need to get rid of the PLF, the only purpose of which now is to try to keep tabs on people, something which should not be happening in a free country.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 88,447 (84,429 last Monday)
Deaths 56 (85)
Patients admitted 1,967 (2,366 on the 11th)
Patients in hospital 17,976 (19,370 on the 14th)
Patients in ventilation beds 664 (746 on the 14h)
People vaccinated up to and including 22 January 2022:
First dose: 52,236,574
Second dose: 48,195,145
Booster: 36,941,059

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 6.8% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 0.1%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 263.3 today. The missing cases from Scotland has been added to previous days data, so it does not impact today. The drop is cases has slowed quite a lot to be fairly flat. That happened after the alpha wave I think before improving again a few days later. Patients in ventilation beds continues to drop thankfully with the rolling average well below 700 now. It is now the lowest since 24th July.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i too am intrigued as to why something like day 2 testing cannot just end tomorrow. mostly out of self interest as i have a return landing 10 Feb and surely will need to provide a test number on the PLF lol
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You do seem to have a real bee in your bonnet.
VSLover, Ardecos and Misco60 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So, the downward trend seems have have bottomed out somewhat. I was hoping it would continue down as it has in South Africa. Other figures looking better though.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by VSLover
i too am intrigued as to why something like day 2 testing cannot just end tomorrow. mostly out of self interest as i have a return landing 10 Feb and surely will need to provide a test number on the PLF lol
I am probably going to fly overseas for work for the first time for two years in early Feb ... so I can guess which side of the line I may land!
VSLover, KARFA and DaveS like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Scotland has already said yes.
Scotsgirl and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, the downward trend seems have have bottomed out somewhat. I was hoping it would continue down as it has in South Africa. Other figures looking better though.
Yes, today's figures were a bit of a disappointment, though the steep falls we have had for the last week or so were not sustainable. From a rapid scan, it seems cases are rising again in Northern Ireland, or rather places that were not so badly hit earlier are now being clobbered while case numbers in earlier hit places like Londonderry / Derry remain high. In England it's more of a plateau, but there is a similar effect in that places like Peterborough and Telford have had very recent second surges. In the case of Peterborough they may already be through that. The other factor is that the return of children to school has led to a second wave there, particularly in the under 12s (Primary and Infant schools). luckily the more gregarious older teenagers aren't really seeing this. Now I think we had this with Delta, where there were mini waves surging up at 2 week intervals. The overall news is good, and the critical bit is that the NHS is in a much better place than a week ago, with some exceptions.
DYKWIA, squawk, DaveS and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
You do seem to have a real bee in your bonnet.
What about?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What about?
Looks like Wales realised there is a 6 nations to be played and the money would be better spent in Wales, plus Twickers was too expensive.

Covid in Wales: Restrictions to ease after Omicron peak
Yes, it does seem odd given this. I guess the "well it could have been much much worse" statement will suffice:

Ease ineffective Covid restrictions, Nicola Sturgeon told, as Scotland’s case rate overtakes England’s
You called that right. Still she is your First Minister!

If Scotland's really quick they might get a hogmanay!
I know it's the BBC, but it looks like you may be right:

Covid in Scotland: More rules could come next week, says Swinney
Well if it's good enough for Nicola....
Stop the filthy English crossing the border then why didn't you?
Don't worry, she will probably not be able to recollect or remember what she said by Monday!
But Wee Nippie would have said "no masks" if Bojo had said "masks required"
We do have a lot of phrases we use to describe the Scottish. Sweaties is one of them. You have probably heard of "Jocks" to refer to them, well sweaties uses the rhyming slang of "sweaty socks" to refer to the "jocks". So if you hear someone say "what are the sweaties whining about now?" you will know that it is referring to Jocks.
Nicola can't recollect anyone asking for one. Could you remind her?
antichef and Scotsgirl like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh dear. We have been busy haven't we? Sorry if it touches a nerve.

Anyway they have a tough decision to make. I'm definitely Interested to see what they do to open up for travel, I am sure others are too especially with half term looming.

Oh, and I forgot to add, nice try with pulling in a quote from the OMNI thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...l#post33697575

I've never been stalked before! I feel privileged!
lhrsfo and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jan 24, 2022 at 4:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.