Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by HB7
For the life of me I don't know how Priti still has a job. Her and Gavin Williamson.
Without going into OMNI territory, maybe the issue is that there's no one else to replace them. To borrow from football, it doesn't seem to me that the bench on Boris FC is that deep.
HB7 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:48 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by 13901
Without going into OMNI territory, maybe the issue is that there's no one else to replace them. To borrow from football, it doesn't seem to me that the bench on Boris FC is that deep.
I don't think there is a bench lol.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sorry, I am just following from what you posted. You said the numbers were higher because of the brief Christmas relaxation where households could mix. So there is a correlation in your mind between mixing households and higher case numbers.
This is an argument you're not going to win with logic
stewardo and antichef like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by enviroian
apparently that’s your country’s logic. I couldn’t visit my sister right down the road when I was there over Christmas.
I know it's a tough one to grasp, but maybe the reasoning behind the restriction is to prevent you inadvertently carrying infection from one household (yours) to another (your sister's).
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:03 am
HB7

An update on vaccines, as per the BBC, we are 4.61 million people as of yesterday. Matt Hancock said: "We're giving 200 vaccinations every minute". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55748645

200 vaccines per minute means 288k per day. To reach the 15 million target by 15th Feb, from now we need to be at approx. 385k per day, so we are way off. I'm not sure how the government is going to increase the speed by an extra 30-40% in the next 4 weeks.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HB7
An update on vaccines, as per the BBC, we are 4.61 million people as of yesterday. Matt Hancock said: "We're giving 200 vaccinations every minute". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55748645

200 vaccines per minute means 288k per day. To reach the 15 million target by 15th Feb, from now we need to be at approx. 385k per day, so we are way off. I'm not sure how the government is going to increase the speed by an extra 30-40% in the next 4 weeks.
I think the issue is more that the supply of Pfizer has diminished temporarily and Astra is taking too long to ramp up to full supply. I get the impression that the organisation is in place to vaccinate more if only we had the supply.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HB7
Its unbelievable. As you mentioned before - travel may be dead for 2021???
This is the classic debate we've been having for more than a year now. The scientists are meant to advise on science and the government is meant to choose policies on a cost-benefit analysis. The government has failed to come up with a cost-benefit analysis and therefore has no defences against scientists who say that we should stop all economic activity because xx more people might die of COVID. They are not even asked how many more people's deaths are accelerated by lockdown and asked to balance that number, let alone asked to consider all the people whose life chances are being ruined.

But, getting back to quarantine, the argument is something like:
we don't know if there might be a vaccine-resistant strain which, if imported, will undo all the good work on vaccination - therefore we have to keep COVID out at all costs
But this argument will apply from now until forever - there is no roadmap out of that argument and so, if imposed, it will be next to impossible to get rid of the requirement unless people are willing to accept some risk.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:00 am
HB7

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think the issue is more that the supply of Pfizer has diminished temporarily and Astra is taking too long to ramp up to full supply. I get the impression that the organisation is in place to vaccinate more if only we had the supply.
I think it is possibly a supply issue, but we have previously been told by Matt Hancock we have no supply issues to the 15 million point. I just want the government to come out and be honest about what we have, be honest about how we are going and give us some idea what the roadmap out of this lockdown is.

At the moment, there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and this makes people think there is no point in adhering to the rules because we have no idea when things will improve.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HB7

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Remember that government ministers always use the wording that the 4 priority groups will be offered the vaccine by mid-Feb. They no doubt realised that the availability of supply of vaccine is not something they can directly control so the wording that they used gives the wriggle room that invites have been sent out but the bookings are in the latter half of Feb. It also has to be offered because the vaccine is not compulsory and no one will be mandated to have it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
It seems the media is a bit confused.
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-covid-...xygen-12192114

On the same page Sky News says lockdown not working, but also happens to say cases falling everywhere. Then Imperial (the most notorious of the pro lockdowners) saying cases not falling. Same with the 'hotel quarantine'. Looks like the media is begging for it, and as said above, some ppl in government trying to manipulate the government into doing so by releasing articles saying 'sources discussing hotel quarantine measures'. Of course they are discussing it! If it was up to some people, we would be in lockdown forever. The question is, will it ever be implemented and how.

Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
It seems the media is a bit confused.
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-covid-...xygen-12192114

On the same page Sky News says lockdown not working, but also happens to say cases falling everywhere. Then Imperial (the most notorious of the pro lockdowners) saying cases not falling. Same with the 'hotel quarantine'. Looks like the media is begging for it, and as said above, some ppl in government trying to manipulate the government into doing so by releasing articles saying 'sources discussing hotel quarantine measures'. Of course they are discussing it! If it was up to some people, we would be in lockdown forever. The question is, will it ever be implemented and how.

so which is it? working or not working?

Hotel quarantine? That will kill all travel.....nice going England!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by 13901
Nothing will move/change until the summer is my bet.

Also, from the Telegraph, a snippet of news that might be the final nail in the coffin for those wishing to travel this year.
this suggests the UK would no longer have their “Test to Release” program.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:09 am

Redacted

Last edited by matinicus rock; Jan 21, 2021 at 9:11 am Reason: #837 posted twice for some reason
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by HB7
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are regarding travel restrictions when lockdown measures start to ease. We all know lockdown measures will ease slowly, however, what do people think when it comes to the travel restrictions regarding those lockdowns. Will they be one of the first or last measures to be eased? Furthermore, what about, as an example travel to Europe. Do you think European nations will allows Brits in if our numbers (both deaths and cases) are low? Vaccinations in Europe are moving really slowly, and it seems like it will be a while before their populations are protected.
Personally, I’m holding thumbs and crossing my fingers that our family can fly over in mid-March to visit schools our son got into for fall 2021. We will rely on the test to release program and follow all protocols. It’s encouraging to read here that numbers are dropping as a result of your lockdown.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:20 am
HB7

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Personally, I’m holding thumbs and crossing my fingers that our family can fly over in mid-March to visit schools our son got into for fall 2021. We will rely on the test to release program and follow all protocols. It’s encouraging to read here that numbers are dropping as a result of your lockdown.
It appears as though numbers are dropping - but the rate of decline is not that quick. Deaths and hospitalizations are through the roof however, and climbing.

Unfortunately if I were you I would prepare for a 10-day quarantine at your point of arrival in the UK, as I think there is almost zero chance of our current lockdown being eased in any way before April, and a very, very, slim chance before June/July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.