Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:02 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by enviroian
I feel for you with the UK lockdown. It is useless and is doing nothing to knock down numbers. Too little, too late while your merchants' shops are closing left and right.

The new new infection case rate (per 100,000 people) in Florida (open) is the same, if not LOWER than California (closed).

All experts agree lockdown early in the game would have made a difference (which explains why SFO is way lower infection rates than LA county) but now the virus is everywhere.

The UK lockdown is utterly useless and meaningless.
That makes no sense. Lockdowns force people to have less contact and therefore less virus transmission. UK numbers have dropped significantly in the last week, clearly proving lockdowns work.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:06 pm
HB7

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are regarding travel restrictions when lockdown measures start to ease. We all know lockdown measures will ease slowly, however, what do people think when it comes to the travel restrictions regarding those lockdowns. Will they be one of the first or last measures to be eased? Furthermore, what about, as an example travel to Europe. Do you think European nations will allows Brits in if our numbers (both deaths and cases) are low? Vaccinations in Europe are moving really slowly, and it seems like it will be a while before their populations are protected.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HB7
That makes no sense. Lockdowns force people to have less contact and therefore less virus transmission. UK numbers have dropped significantly in the last week, clearly proving lockdowns work.
Lockdowns force people to bring the interaction to their household where that only further worsens the problem.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The 7 day average has dropped from 59k to 43k in just over a week. Maybe check your facts before posting.
That 59K figure could be an outlier from when everyone was together at Christmas locked in households.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 5:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That 59K figure could be an outlier from when everyone was together at Christmas locked in households.
So the logic would be do not mix households?
IAN-UK, Tocsin, DocWatson and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
So the logic would be do not mix households?
apparently that’s your country’s logic. I couldn’t visit my sister right down the road when I was there over Christmas.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
apparently that’s your country’s logic. I couldn’t visit my sister right down the road when I was there over Christmas.
Sorry, I am just following from what you posted. You said the numbers were higher because of the brief Christmas relaxation where households could mix. So there is a correlation in your mind between mixing households and higher case numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are regarding travel restrictions when lockdown measures start to ease. We all know lockdown measures will ease slowly, however, what do people think when it comes to the travel restrictions regarding those lockdowns. Will they be one of the first or last measures to be eased? Furthermore, what about, as an example travel to Europe. Do you think European nations will allows Brits in if our numbers (both deaths and cases) are low? Vaccinations in Europe are moving really slowly, and it seems like it will be a while before their populations are protected.
Nothing will move/change until the summer is my bet.

Also, from the Telegraph, a snippet of news that might be the final nail in the coffin for those wishing to travel this year.

Last edited by 13901; Jan 20, 2021 at 11:52 pm
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:36 am
HB7

Originally Posted by 13901
Nothing will move/change until the summer is my bet.

Also, from the Telegraph, a snippet of news that might be the final nail in the coffin for those wishing to travel this year.
This would effectively kill BA. They won't survive this.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:13 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Let's get cases down to Australia levels before adopting the Australian quarantine measures. Also Australia has no road links to foreign countries.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by HB7
This would effectively kill BA. They won't survive this.
BA, Virgin, easyJet, HAL, GAL, Eurostar, MAC...The list goes on. But this is the f*ck business government so who knows.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:58 am
HB7

BA, Virgin, easyJet, HAL, GAL, Eurostar, MAC...The list goes on. But this is the f*ck business government so who knows.
Its unbelievable. As you mentioned before - travel may be dead for 2021???
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by HB7
Its unbelievable. As you mentioned before - travel may be dead for 2021???
I read the article on the paper and it seems still far from a done deal. No. 10 seems dead against it. I'm no corporate-wage-slave, whom I imagine sitting at the head of the table in Cobra meetings, but I'd hazard a guess and think that Priti is playing the bad cop, Shapps and Sunak the realistic ones and Boris is the adjudicator.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:11 am
HB7

I read the article on the paper and it seems still far from a done deal. No. 10 seems dead against it. I'm no corporate-wage-slave, whom I imagine sitting at the head of the table in Cobra meetings, but I'd hazard a guess and think that Priti is playing the bad cop, Shapps and Sunak the realistic ones and Boris is the adjudicator.
For the life of me I don't know how Priti still has a job. Her and Gavin Williamson.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by HB7
For the life of me I don't know how Priti still has a job. Her and Gavin Williamson.
Him especially. He has utterly screwed education at all levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.