Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
ISTFlyer,
I have flown the part of a SFO-TBS roundtrip paid ticket. I will not be travelling on the scheduled return date. Ideally I would like to make it an open ticket and use it on a later date, I gather that it will be compared to a one way ticket on this route and fare difference charged in which case it useless since one way fares ae almost a 1000$, Is this true(comparison to one way) ?

I am also ok with a voucher refund for future travel. I assume a cash refund for unused portion is not possible.

What options do I have and what is the best way to get it (online vs ticket office/call center) ?

Thanks
Bob
If you have flown the ticket partially and decide to convert it to an open ticket, you would not be repriced on the one-way price you would like to rebook your open ticket.
You would be charged the return portion of a round-trip ticket according to the historic fares on the date you purchased your ticket.

If your case is voluntary ( flights are still operating ) a voucher in terms of monetary amount is not possible.
You wouldn't be able to get an open ticket online and you would need to call them or contact a sales office.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Thank you ISTFlyer . I will convert to an open ticket. The return portion of a roundtrip flight when I bought the ticket should mean very little extra cost. Or at least that is what I understood.

Bob
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Thank you ISTFlyer . I will convert to an open ticket. The return portion of a roundtrip flight when I bought the ticket should mean very little extra cost. Or at least that is what I understood.

Bob
Yes, the return portion of a roundtrip could even be without any cost if you manage to find the same fare bucket on the return and the new flight meets the requirements associated to the original fare bucket.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:11 am

Awards ticketed (for travel on UA) before March 31, 2022 for travel before May 31, 2022 are still cancelable for a full refund, right? Or do they have to be converted to open tickets?

The old policy was you could do a full cancel and get miles and taxes back but just checking that is still the case and they don't force you into an open ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx
Awards ticketed before March 31, 2022 for travel before May 31, 2022 are still cancelable for a full refund, right? Or do they have to be converted to open tickets?

The old policy was you could do a full cancel and get miles and taxes back but just checking that is still the case and they don't force you into an open ticket.
TK didn't allow award tickets to be refunded without the cancellation penalty any time even in previous policies.
You could either convert them to open tickets or change the dates without paying fees.

Cancelling award tickets at a voluntary basis always had a $25 cancellation fee.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TK didn't allow award tickets to be refunded without the cancellation penalty any time even in previous policies.
You could either convert them to open tickets or change the dates without paying fees.

Cancelling award tickets at a voluntary basis always had a $25 cancellation fee.
Hmm. Last year they refunded my miles and taxes for an award without any cancellation fee! I guess it was a mistake on their part in my favor, which is shocking!

EDIT: I forgot that there was a schedule change - maybe that's why I got a full refund.

Are open tickets tied to pax names?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm. Last year they refunded my miles and taxes for an award without any cancellation fee! I guess it was a mistake on their part in my favor, which is shocking!

EDIT: I forgot that there was a schedule change - maybe that's why I got a full refund.
Probably it was a schedule change over 15 minutes or a flight cancellation that waived the change penalty as you mentioned.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are open tickets tied to pax names?
The answer to this question would be yes.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:58 pm

One hint from my side: if possible, avoid calling the call center in Istanbul, they are mostly clueless. I called the Italian line instead (they answered from Romania) and everyone was so friendly and knew the ticket rules very well: they re-issued my new ticket in 24 hours, opening an award seat on a flight were award seats were not available anymore. TK had previoulsy cancelled my flight out of Riyadh and I asked the Italian line to re-book me on a different date & departure point (within the same geographical area of the original ticket)
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fil_87
One hint from my side: if possible, avoid calling the call center in Istanbul, they are mostly clueless. I called the Italian line instead (they answered from Romania) and everyone was so friendly and knew the ticket rules very well: they re-issued my new ticket in 24 hours, opening an award seat on a flight were award seats were not available anymore. TK had previoulsy cancelled my flight out of Riyadh and I asked the Italian line to re-book me on a different date & departure point (within the same geographical area of the original ticket)
As a clarification, all English speaking numbers despite you call Turkey, USA, UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc... is a connected to a pool system and there is no guarantee on where the agent you would speak would be located. Although yes, if you are speaking another language other than English, you might get better service.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

I was adding a domestic segment from IST. Why did they charge me $25 as well? I thought the covid policy is free to change?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freedom2020
I was adding a domestic segment from IST. Why did they charge me $25 as well? I thought the covid policy is free to change?
Only if travel is completed by 31 May 2022.
Do you have any segments after the aformentioned date in your ticket?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes! Just received several cancellation notifications for my 30%-off M&S Awards from Dec. TK seems to have cancelled/revised some S22 flights today.

EIDT: called TK and got rebooked to a different destination (within same region/award zone) and dates much more convenient. Just be prepared for the usual BS about the lenght of the trip needs to be same (issue reported several times upthreads) but for me it was not a big issue so I just cut the trip 1 day shorter than my most preferred travel dates so the number of days between departure date and return date is exactly the same. Obviously, no promotion award / I class available but no issue getting rebooked as the much more expensive Business Award. Booking class remains the same (I class) so it doesn't mean that one get rebooked into revenue class.

Extremely happy camper!

Last edited by SK AAR; Feb 11, 2022 at 3:01 am
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Same here - all my reservations were changed

Some of my originally booked flights are not available on the booked dates anymore, only a few days earlier or later. Any chance that TK is going to book me on another airline, like SQ? That would be available on my original date.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Enskie
Any chance that TK is going to book me on another airline, like SQ? That would be available on my original date.
If you read the reports in this thread, calling TK call center will be fruitless. You may have a chance if you talk to your local TK ticket office, but there is certainly no guarantee.

IMO the chance that you will accomplish to be rebooked to SQ is small. If there is no award seats on SQ your chance is zero.

Last edited by SK AAR; Feb 11, 2022 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.