Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jaycoh22
I purchased a Turkish Airlines ticket back in January CMB-BOS in fully refundable D class. In May, there was a schedule change and I used that opportunity to change to MLE-BOS following the COVID flexibility rules - but the ticket now shows in Z class. I am considering cancelling this trip now. Do the original refundability rules of the ticket I bought apply, or did the ticket lose the ability to get a full refund when I used my COVID flexibility to change the routing?
Was this a free-of-charge change on the same reservation, or did you amended the value of your old ticket to purchase a new one?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Was this a free-of-charge change on the same reservation, or did you amended the value of your old ticket to purchase a new one?
Free of charge on the same reservation.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jaycoh22
Free of charge on the same reservation.
If it's a free of charge change and the agent didn't screw up your ticket, then you would have the right to get a full refund according to the original fare rules of your ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
If it's a free of charge change and the agent didn't screw up your ticket, then you would have the right to get a full refund according to the original fare rules of your ticket.
Thanks much! I've submitted the feedback form, so hopefully it goes without an issue.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:00 pm

Turkish airlines flexible change policy

Hi

I was reading here turkishairlines.com/en-int/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/flexible-change/index.html about changes allowed, and is not clear what actually happens when you decide to go open ticket.
Particularly this part: "If you have plans but have not yet confirmed your trip, purchase your ticket by December 31, 2021 (inclusive) and enjoy unlimited changing rights until March 31, 2022 (inclusive)."
In my interpretation, that means you can make any possible change from the day you purchase the ticket, up to march 31, but says nothing at all about what happens with an open ticket ("In order to change the ticket to an Open Ticket, the reservation must be cancelled before the date of flight.").
So, I read this as "you can change the ticket up to march 31", but being about the changes, and not how much in the future you can change the flight itself. In that case, it sounds plausible to book now, make the ticket open, and eventually change the ticket to, for example, December 2022
Am I reading this in a completely wrong way?

Sorry for my english...
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I am curious in my situation what's the possibility.
I have ticket issued by TK with most flights operated by TK itself with the exception of 2 flights - one is a codeshare flight and another a flight operated by MH.
Recently MH cancelled the flight and moved me to a flight 2 days later when it operates. Does this give me ground to change the ticket to an Open ticket or because if it not a TK flight being cancelled, this will not be an option for me?

Just to add: Just received another schedule change but this time the TK flight - has been pushed out by 24 hours. However would still like to know what my options/rights are.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Aug 25, 2021 at 7:46 am Reason: additional schedule change
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:30 am

Open tickets still must be used until 31.12.2021.?
So a cancelled January 2022 ticket can be rebooked only -5/+30 or refunded?
Old Aug 28, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My flight from MAN-IST on 17th September is still showing on manage my booking but the flight does not show for sale. In fact there are no flights from MAN to IST on TK that day currently since I am guessing the 2 daily flights have been cancelled due to Turkey still being on the UK red list.
Do I need to wait for cancellation email or do I need to be proactive and ring and either cancel or look at rebook options?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dselvan
My flight from MAN-IST on 17th September is still showing on manage my booking but the flight does not show for sale. In fact there are no flights from MAN to IST on TK that day currently since I am guessing the 2 daily flights have been cancelled due to Turkey still being on the UK red list.
Do I need to wait for cancellation email or do I need to be proactive and ring and either cancel or look at rebook options?
Unfortunately, you do need to wait for the cancellation e-mail or a cancellation notification at MMB.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:48 am

Unfortunately, you do need to wait for the cancellation e-mail or a cancellation notification at MMB.
Thank you ISTFlyer. Thought that might be the case. Got another few weeks, so not worried yet. How long before the actual flight can I cancel voluntarily if TK don't cancel the flights?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dselvan
Thank you ISTFlyer. Thought that might be the case. Got another few weeks, so not worried yet. How long before the actual flight can I cancel voluntarily if TK don't cancel the flights?
It's 2 hours before the flight, but to be safe, do not wait until last minute.
Dselvan likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:47 am

Two questions for award ticket:
1. Is it better to fly out of JFK or EWR on TK? I had booked out of EWR in hopes of polaris being open but that seems unlikely until 2022. So I think at this time only the LH business lounge would be available at both airports.
2. If the initial outbound departure flight has been moved ahead by 10mins but it keeps changing every few days. Is it possible to get it canceled without paying the $25 fee? I'm currently booked out of EWR but see JFK is available for award flights and that airport would be preferable.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nas6034
Two questions for award ticket:
1. Is it better to fly out of JFK or EWR on TK? I had booked out of EWR in hopes of polaris being open but that seems unlikely until 2022. So I think at this time only the LH business lounge would be available at both airports.
2. If the initial outbound departure flight has been moved ahead by 15mins, is it possible to get it canceled without paying the $25 fee? I'm currently booked out of EWR but see JFK is available for award flights and that airport would be preferable.
1. Just to let you know that the LH Lounge closes after the LX flight to ZRH or the LH flight to MUC ( whichever is later ) departs thus TK pax does not have any lounge access at EWR at this time.
At JFK, if I'm not wrong, they contract the Primeclass Lounge for the late service if the LH Lounge is closed. There are no alternative lounges in EWR for TK passengers at this time.

2. The change must be over 15 minutes so the change should be minimum 16 minutes to get a free cancellation without paying the $25 cancellation fee. Although if the JFK flight has award availability ( X or I fare respectively for Economy and Business ) you could change the flights without paying any fee.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:12 pm

1. Just to let you know that the LH Lounge closes after the LX flight to ZRH or the LH flight to MUC ( whichever is later ) departs thus TK pax does not have any lounge access at EWR at this time.
At JFK, if I'm not wrong, they contract the Primeclass Lounge for the late service if the LH Lounge is closed. There are no alternative lounges in EWR for TK passengers at this time.

2. The change must be over 15 minutes so the change should be minimum 16 minutes to get a free cancellation without paying the $25 cancellation fee. Although if the JFK flight has award availability ( X or I fare respectively for Economy and Business ) you could change the flights without paying any fee.
Thank You. Was able to change to JFK.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:30 am

It's 2 hours before the flight, but to be safe, do not wait until last minute.
UPDATE:
Got cancellation email from TK on 31st August. Rang the TK customer services on the 1st September since the MMB would not give me the option of refund. Customer services told me to email London office and not Manchester office even though I was Manchester customer and 24 hours later, London forwarded my email to Manchester office anyway since London could not process it.
Got confirmation email from Manchester office to say refund being processed on the 2nd September and refund in my account today (4th September).
Even though I had to jump through lot of hoops due to computer issues and bureaucracy of TK, was pretty impressed that got full refund in 3 days!!! Well done TK.
Thanks for your help ISTFlyer.
RetiredATLATC and ISTFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.