Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I want to make a voluntary change to my one-way ticket. Same region, but I'd like to change dates, airports, as well as turn the ticket into a roundtrip. Dates & airports seem simple, but not sure if an open ticket lets me change this from a one way to a roundtrip. Thanks in advance for sharing--saves me a long hold with customer service.

BTW, what constitutes an "open ticket?" Does it work like a credit? I can't find a definition for open ticket anywhere.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by strbrynkrm
I want to make a voluntary change to my one-way ticket. Same region, but I'd like to change dates, airports, as well as turn the ticket into a roundtrip. Dates & airports seem simple, but not sure if an open ticket lets me change this from a one way to a roundtrip. Thanks in advance for sharing--saves me a long hold with customer service.

BTW, what constitutes an "open ticket?" Does it work like a credit? I can't find a definition for open ticket anywhere.
I don't think that the system would permit you to change a one-way ticket to a round-trip one. However, you might have a chance so I would suggest it to try it but be prepared for a "sorry sir/madam".

An open ticket is an invalidated ticket which contains the fare component, taxes and surcharges that you paid without any confirmed flight segments. It's not a credit and it can't be used as a monetary voucher.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks ISTFlyer. Will give TK a call tmrw and report back. Sleep well!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:07 pm

My original flight was scheduled in May 2020 and booked on 11th March 2020 via OTA. The flights were cancelled and converted my ticket to open through OTA in April. Since OTA is charging 30€ per pax to rebook, I contacted my nearest TK office with original TK PNR. I was pretty sure I didn’t have to pay any fare difference nor change fee. No question was asked and new reservation was made with new PNR, assuming no problem for TK to rebook OTA booking and no additional payment. However, I was advised that ticket couldn’t be issued locally as my original ticket was old and a request to issue the ticket was sent to Istanbul and I should expect to receive e-ticket within a few hours. Now almost 36 hours, I have not received anything from TK. On the web my new reservation is valid another 30ish hours. When I click Pay and fly, I get a blank page ( obviously I have nothing to pay). Should I expect TK will issue the ticket in time or better to call the call center in Turkey? I hope nothing is wrong with my new booking and just lazy TK.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Unless you travel dates are imminent you should wait/give it some time. TK will reissue the ticket at some stage.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just a reminder that we are now in a 11 day official holiday in Turkey so I assume that the TK is with reduced staff within this period.
For those who are not aware; companies in Turkey are obliged to pay extra to employees if they are going to ask them to work during national and religious holidays.
zymm likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:50 pm

TK informed me that they couldn’t issue new tickets as my original booking was made by an OTA. My worst nightmare…
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird006
TK informed me that they couldn’t issue new tickets as my original booking was made by an OTA. My worst nightmare…
If possible visit a sales office in person, they would have the magical phone to contact the back office in IST and they should be able to re-issue your ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If possible visit a sales office in person, they would have the magical phone to contact the back office in IST and they should be able to re-issue your ticket.
Unfortunately the nearest city office was closed and the airport office is working at odd hours. I will try to call them up.

I asked the call centre rep if the new reservation was still valid and should inform OTA this reservation in order for them to issue the ticket, but he didn’t know.

Actually the new PNR is still active when I check on TK website, but I get the error massage as attached and no further action can’t be made online. It seems quite messed up. Hopefully this won’t cause more complications.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
I have a round-trip reservation SEZ-IST-SEZ and only intend to fly SEZ-IST, if I cancel (or convert to open ticket) after flying the outbound would I get back the fare+tax for IST-SEZ? Can I apply it towards a flight to a different region e.g. IST-JFK or IST-LHR?

Last edited by hypertext; Jul 18, 2021 at 2:22 am
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hypertext
I have a round-trip reservation SEZ-IST-SEZ and only intend to fly SEZ-IST, if I cancel (or convert to open ticket) after flying the outbound would I get back the fare+tax for IST-SEZ? Can I apply it towards a flight to a different region e.g. IST-JFK or IST-LHR?
No, if you purchase a SEZ-IST r/t ticket, you need to return back to Africa if you are planning to convert it to an open-ticket after flying the SEZ-IST leg.
You might get a refund of the IST-SEZ legs but that would be done according to the fare rules and the cancellation penalty would be charged. In addition, on some fares, the fare would be recalculated as a one-way fare thus you might not get the half of what you originally paid but an amount much less than what you have originally paid.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I contacted the nearest airport sales office. I was asked to email the details. After a few exchanges of emails, the tickets were issued. Whole process took 15 minutes. If your booking was originally made by an OTA, it’s probably better not to be bothered to contact the call center, but call a sales office. TK can definitely overwrite OTA booking, but you would need a luck to find a helpful or competent staff. Thanks for ISTFlyer.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by speedbird006; Jul 20, 2021 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird006
I contacted the nearest airport sales office. I was asked to email the details. After a few exchanges of emails, the tickets were issued. Whole process took 15 minutes. If your booking was originally made by an OTA, it’s probably better not to bother to contact the call center, but call the sales office. TK can definitely overwrite OTA booking, but you would need a luck to find a helpful or competent staff. Thanks for ISTFlyer.
You're welcome
I'm glad that your issue was solved.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I've flown the first half (SKP-IST-SFO) of an open jaw booking, and the second half (SFO-IST-LHR) is scheduled for 3-September. If Turkey remains on the UK red list, I will not be able to enter the UK. I understand that if I were to change destination right now, that would be a voluntary change and I would be required to pay a fare difference. Is there any way to estimate what that fare difference might be in this situation? Even if it is only a very rough estimate it would help me decide whether to try and rebook now, or to wait and hope for a major schedule change/cancellation.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zymm
I've flown the first half (SKP-IST-SFO) of an open jaw booking, and the second half (SFO-IST-LHR) is scheduled for 3-September. If Turkey remains on the UK red list, I will not be able to enter the UK. I understand that if I were to change destination right now, that would be a voluntary change and I would be required to pay a fare difference. Is there any way to estimate what that fare difference might be in this situation? Even if it is only a very rough estimate it would help me decide whether to try and rebook now, or to wait and hope for a major schedule change/cancellation.
Yes, you could call TK, try to change the booking but after the agent quotes the fare difference, you could tell him/her thank you and that you would decide later and not give him/her any credit card details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.