Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
UPDATE:
Got cancellation email from TK on 31st August. Rang the TK customer services on the 1st September since the MMB would not give me the option of refund. Customer services told me to email London office and not Manchester office even though I was Manchester customer and 24 hours later, London forwarded my email to Manchester office anyway since London could not process it.
Got confirmation email from Manchester office to say refund being processed on the 2nd September and refund in my account today (4th September).
Even though I had to jump through lot of hoops due to computer issues and bureaucracy of TK, was pretty impressed that got full refund in 3 days!!! Well done TK.
Thanks for your help ISTFlyer.
I'm glad that your issue is solved
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Joe Pino
Hi

I was reading here turkishairlines.com/en-int/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/flexible-change/index.html about changes allowed, and is not clear what actually happens when you decide to go open ticket.
Particularly this part: "If you have plans but have not yet confirmed your trip, purchase your ticket by December 31, 2021 (inclusive) and enjoy unlimited changing rights until March 31, 2022 (inclusive)."
In my interpretation, that means you can make any possible change from the day you purchase the ticket, up to march 31, but says nothing at all about what happens with an open ticket ("In order to change the ticket to an Open Ticket, the reservation must be cancelled before the date of flight.").
So, I read this as "you can change the ticket up to march 31", but being about the changes, and not how much in the future you can change the flight itself. In that case, it sounds plausible to book now, make the ticket open, and eventually change the ticket to, for example, December 2022
Am I reading this in a completely wrong way?

Sorry for my english...
How about this?
i am holding a ticket bought couple of weeks ago, and I need to cancel it unless I can convert it to annopen ticket. Can I? The post nr 4 haa old info and I am lost what is current policy. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
How about this?
i am holding a ticket bought couple of weeks ago, and I need to cancel it unless I can convert it to annopen ticket. Can I? The post nr 4 haa old info and I am lost what is current policy. Thanks
Assuming that you're seeking for a refund voluntarily, you could convert your ticket to an open ticket but if you decide to fly after 31 March 2022, when you rebook your open ticket, you would also need to pay a change fee in addition to any applicable fare difference.

If the case is voluntary and if your ticket isn't non-refundable, you could always get a refund as well but the cancellation penalty would be charged.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:39 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Anyone (most likely ISTFlyer of course) know how far out the TK schedule is "firm"? Looking to book a flight 19 December CPT - IST, it is currently operating but only 3X/week and then frequency ramps up mid December. to 6X/week. Don't want to book then have to change departure date.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
Anyone (most likely ISTFlyer of course) know how far out the TK schedule is "firm"? Looking to book a flight 19 December CPT - IST, it is currently operating but only 3X/week and then frequency ramps up mid December. to 6X/week. Don't want to book then have to change departure date.
The schedule should be firm until the end of Winter season but of course Turkish Airlines is still doing last minute adjustments depending on the demand.
There is no guarantee at this time that CPT would operate x6 weekly, the frequency could decrease and increase anytime.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Today I called up TK to try and find out the clear policy on my possibilities based on the Covid-19 policy - but after the call with an agent that was friendly but very bad language proficiency - I am confused. I tried to use the Award zone of Miles and Smiles as the zone reference, but this seemed to not co-relate to their policy of the same zone.
My questions
- is it true that I can only change -7 days or + 30 days out from my original departure date?
- can I only change the starting point and not both starting and end point?
- since my original flight is to Australia (operated by codeshare with SQ), if I change my end destination, I can only select destinations served by TK?

I am really confused in what is possible or not possible after the call.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Today I called up TK to try and find out the clear policy on my possibilities based on the Covid-19 policy - but after the call with an agent that was friendly but very bad language proficiency - I am confused. I tried to use the Award zone of Miles and Smiles as the zone reference, but this seemed to not co-relate to their policy of the same zone.
My questions
- is it true that I can only change -7 days or + 30 days out from my original departure date?
- since my original flight is to Australia (operated by codeshare with SQ), if I change my end destination, I can only select destinations served by TK?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
First, what happened to your flight, was it cancelled, was there a schedule change over 15 minutes or are you planning to do a voluntary rebooking with no schedule change/cancellation involved?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
First, what happened to your flight, was it cancelled, was there a schedule change over 15 minutes or are you planning to do a voluntary rebooking with no schedule change/cancellation involved?
I should have indeed added this info - but yes, it was a combination of both situation for different flights. Cancellation (moved a few days later) and schedule change of close to an hour.

Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

My questions

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
I should have indeed added this info - but yes, it was a combination of both situation for different flights. Cancellation (moved a few days later) and schedule change of close to an hour.

Cheers!
- First, you could change the dates until 31 May 2022 for free but the agents must look at the history of the changes, see the cancellation and determine that the you haven't requested any change after the cancellation. You might need multiple HUACA's or a visit to the sale office for that.

- You could change both destinations within the same region policy.

- I assume it's TK flights only when you change the origin/destination, the policy available on the TK website is not that clear.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I had an I award ticket TLV-IST-BKK BKK-IST-TLV that was canceled. I contacted TK when the flights where canceled and converted the ticket to an open one to be used by the end of March 2022. I haven’t set any flight dates with the open ticket.

I would like to call TK call center to set my new dates. Can I request the following itinerary change free of charge?
1. TLV-IST-HKT BKK-IST-TLV or
2. TLV-IST-HKT HKT-BKK BKK-IST-TLV where HKT is consider a stopover (one is usually permitted, usually in IST) and HKT-BKK is operated by PG on one of the flight TK sells on their website.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby
I had an I award ticket TLV-IST-BKK BKK-IST-TLV that was canceled. I contacted TK when the flights where canceled and converted the ticket to an open one to be used by the end of March 2022. I haven’t set any flight dates with the open ticket.

I would like to call TK call center to set my new dates. Can I request the following itinerary change free of charge?
1. TLV-IST-HKT BKK-IST-TLV or
2. TLV-IST-HKT HKT-BKK BKK-IST-TLV where HKT is consider a stopover (one is usually permitted, usually in IST) and HKT-BKK is operated by PG on one of the flight TK sells on their website.
Itinerary #1 yes,
Itinerary #2 no ( PG flights could not be issued on award tickets ).
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
TK will def. not rebook to/include a HKT-BKK flight on PG.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
TK will def. not rebook to/include a HKT-BKK flight on PG.
Especially on an award ticket.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:49 am

I've got a M&S award booking on TK from BOM-IST on January 3rd, but I'm a bit concerned that the flight will be cancelled as India seems likely to maintain the ban on "scheduled" flights until next summer. So far, India has been only announcing this around the 28th of each month for the following month and TK has been cancelling their flights accordingly on a rolling basis.

What are my options likely to be if my flight is cancelled just a few days before departure? Would they rebook an award on another *A partner (right now there is availability via BAH/DOH/DXB on a combination of AI/TK within +/- 24 hours but that may be very different in late December). And critically as well, what would happen to my miles which were due to expire on 31DEC21 if the only option they give me is a refund.

The two passengers are Elite and Elite Plus respectively if this is of any relevance. However, one passenger has a Turkish visa condition that requires her to travel only on TK operated flights into Turkey, so rebooking on an itinerary that doesn't meet that condition is also not going to work.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I've got a M&S award booking on TK from BOM-IST on January 3rd, but I'm a bit concerned that the flight will be cancelled as India seems likely to maintain the ban on "scheduled" flights until next summer. So far, India has been only announcing this around the 28th of each month for the following month and TK has been cancelling their flights accordingly on a rolling basis.

What are my options likely to be if my flight is cancelled just a few days before departure? Would they rebook an award on another *A partner (right now there is availability via BAH/DOH/DXB on a combination of AI/TK within +/- 24 hours but that may be very different in late December). And critically as well, what would happen to my miles which were due to expire on 31DEC21 if the only option they give me is a refund.

The two passengers are Elite and Elite Plus respectively if this is of any relevance. However, one passenger has a Turkish visa condition that requires her to travel only on TK operated flights into Turkey, so rebooking on an itinerary that doesn't meet that condition is also not going to work.
First, I would start with the visa issue; unfortunately, it's the passengers responsibility to obtain a visa according to her travel. It that traveler needs to fly TK into Turkey, that's her own problem and if she requires to fly another airline, she would need to contact the embassy and probably apply for a new visa.

If your flight has been cancelled, TK would book you on another *A carrier with award inventory but if there is no inventory, it's very likely that they would offer you a refund of your miles and taxes unless you could escalate the claim to someone superior that could rebook you on another carrier at a revenue fare bucket ( this would not happen unless the cancellation is made within the last 15 days days before the flight ).

If they only offer you to get a refund, your miles would still expire on 31DEC21 but if you ask open a claim through the feedback form, it's a likely situation that TK would extend the validity of those miles as a goodwill gesture but you would have to ask for it. They wouldn't be pro-actively extending the validity of the respective miles.
B747-437B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.