Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options

Old May 12, 2022, 8:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am booked on a flight in early June 2022 from MUC to IST but I would like to postpone this flight into 2023 as I will not be able to take this flight in 2022. My desired date in June 2022 will not be available before my currently booked flight would be. Therefore I am a bit unsure what options I would have:

- as far as I know I need to travel until July 31st 2022 if I decide to get an open ticket,
- I could rebook my ticket online to April 2023 already without a fee. I am currently thinking about doing this and once my desired flight dates in June 2023 become available I could rebook one more time. During the first rebooking I am shown that the new fare would have a rebooking fee (which would be not good, as I already know that I need to rebook one more time but there is no info about how much that fee would be. It says that if the ticket is issued until May 31st they would waive rebooking fees for travel until July 31st 2022.

Any idea? I guess the double-rebooking option might be not too bad. If my ticket is issued before May 31st 2022, would another rebooking work without a fee? Thanks.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I assume that we are talking about voluntary rebooking here (no cancellation or schedule change > 15min).

I don't think you will be able to rebook to April 2023 without rebooking fee; that is also why you see a rebooking fee to be collected when you try to rebook online.

I would wait until shortly before you travel date next month to rebook as it increases your chance of a cancellation or schedule change to your flight, which would completely change the situation; however admittedly not likely less than 1 month before traveling.

Then you rebook as far ahead as possible (with payment of rebooking fee ofc) and hope that you have a cancellation or schedule change > 15min to your new flight, which will allow you to rebook for free. It also means you don't rebook as soon as your desired dates in June 2023 becomes possible, but you wait it out/for a cancellation or sch. change (which is likely this far out).
Old May 13, 2022, 1:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I assume that we are talking about voluntary rebooking here (no cancellation or schedule change > 15min).

I don't think you will be able to rebook to April 2023 without rebooking fee; that is also why you see a rebooking fee to be collected when you try to rebook online.

I would wait until shortly before you travel date next month to rebook as it increases your chance of a cancellation or schedule change to your flight, which would completely change the situation; however admittedly not likely less than 1 month before traveling.

Then you rebook as far ahead as possible (with payment of rebooking fee ofc) and hope that you have a cancellation or schedule change > 15min to your new flight, which will allow you to rebook for free. It also means you don't rebook as soon as your desired dates in June 2023 becomes possible, but you wait it out/for a cancellation or sch. change (which is likely this far out).
Thank you! I will do that. When I try to rebook my ticket into April 2023 I am not charged a rebooking fee - only the fare difference would be charged while rebooking online. I will rebook into April 2023 and hope that there will be a schedule change.

One more question: my current ticket is for MUC to IST. As far as I know I can request to get rebooked (in case of a schedule change) to MUC to Bodrum instead of Istanbul, right?
Old May 13, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is a direct TK MUC-Bodrum flight you should be able to rebook to Bodrum. If not, I'm not sure if you can add a IST-Bodrum segment to your MUC-IST flight under the TK rules for invol. rebooking and rerouting.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No, you would need to use it and travel by 31 May 2022 if you don't want to pay any penalties.

did this get extended by any chance for my ticket from sept 2020.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Have an opinion question here, hopefully relevant to the thread: Today I received a positive COVID test (I'm mildly symptomatic) in Tbilisi. I have TK flight for Monday that runs TBS>IST>JFK. I'd like to hold off on trying to change the flight on the off-chance I test negative one day before the flight, but also am worried that it might leave me in a lurch with TK and trying to get ahold of them at the last minute. Would people recommend making the change now, or can I wait?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should wait to see if you test negative by Monday. That being said if you tested positive today the chance that you will get a negative test result by Monday is slim.

Monday - if you test negative - you should call TK to cancel the flights/to have the flights removed from the PNR. Once you have recovered and have new travel dates, you call TK to rebook. You will then be asked to submit documentation for being Covid positive by feedback on the TK webpage before TK will agree to rebook free of charge. Allow up to 1 week for TK to respond to your feedback.

It has been described in other TK threads about how to deal with situations where one test Covid positive. I was in the same boat in February.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should wait to see if you test negative by Monday. That being said if you tested positive today the chance that you will get a negative test result by Monday is slim.

Monday - if you test negative - you should call TK to cancel the flights/to have the flights removed from the PNR. Once you have recovered and have new travel dates, you call TK to rebook. You will then be asked to submit documentation for being Covid positive by feedback on the TK webpage before TK will agree to rebook free of charge. Allow up to 1 week for TK to respond to your feedback.

It has been described in other TK threads about how to deal with situations where one test Covid positive. I was in the same boat in February.
Thanks for this. A couple quick follow-up questions if I might:

1. Once we clear our quarantine period, we do need to leave pretty immediately. So, it will be bite into the 1 week turn around time. Should I just pay for the change fee and then have TK reimburse me?

2. Do you have a recommendation for which line to use that might be best? I don't have status, but can call whichever line would be best. Or would it be better to handle this over Twitter or FB.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1). It is not advisable to pay up-fare, fees etc and hope to get reimbursed afterwards; with TK that is unlikely to happen when you can get a free (invol) rebooking due to Covid positive. Do the rebooking as soon as you can and hopefully TK will be able to speed things up when it is on short notice. You could also contact your local sales/ticket office for assistance; they might be able to help you out faster.

2) call TK CS or contact your local TK sales/ticket office. I have yet to hear of any positive coming out of trying to reach TK by Twitter or FB.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:08 pm

Does the 15min schedule change also include a difference in between on the arrival time? I booked a United Airlines flight between SFO and Hawaii using Miles & Smiles miles for travel in Sept 2022. I did this in Dec 2021 right before my miles expired. Will I have to pay a change fee if the original flight I booked was 9am to 11:48am and now the current scheduled time is 8:53am to 11:31am? The arrival time is 17 minutes earlier now.

If I want to convert to open ticket and don't plan to travel until 2023, will I have to pay change fee regardless, since usually it is free for 30 days after original travel date when it is a involuntary change in schedule?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

On the 15-min change rule, can anyone please confirm if this is only for the affected flight or inbound/outbound specific?
In my case, the inbound flight has > 15 mins change, but besides changing the return date, I want to also change the departure date.

Is this allowed without any penalties?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
A bit confused as to what my options are at the moment and hoping someone more knowledgeable can help figure it out. I have a CGK - IST - MUC last rebooked Jun 19. For some weird reason it shows as two separate segments on TK app (and if you want to change you need to select both etc). These are K class.

Im not sure Im able to fly these. What are my options under the current policy ? I understand I get no refund as these are non refundable.
I can change - I think? - and I would even be ok with some fee but cant figure out easily what are my rules for actually changing it. It seems I can change to any route and any date but finding suitable (low additional cost) options is hyper time consuming. Is there any way to more easily visualize what these could be ? (Example with expert flyer?)

Can I also make it an open ticket ? If so, what does it mean in practice ? Any route or specific same regions ?

thanks much
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,

On the 15-min change rule, can anyone please confirm if this is only for the affected flight or inbound/outbound specific?
In my case, the inbound flight has > 15 mins change, but besides changing the return date, I want to also change the departure date.

Is this allowed without any penalties?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
i was able to change both flights (or fully refund) in cases where there were schedule changes but unsure if that was due to the agent I got on the phone or not
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,

You should be allowed to rebook both outbound and inbound. Some agent may try insist that the number of travel days remain the same. If this occurs, call again.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
A bit confused as to what my options are at the moment and hoping someone more knowledgeable can help figure it out. I have a CGK - IST - MUC last rebooked Jun 19. For some weird reason it shows as two separate segments on TK app (and if you want to change you need to select both etc). These are K class.

Im not sure Im able to fly these. What are my options under the current policy ? I understand I get no refund as these are non refundable.
I can change - I think? - and I would even be ok with some fee but cant figure out easily what are my rules for actually changing it. It seems I can change to any route and any date but finding suitable (low additional cost) options is hyper time consuming. Is there any way to more easily visualize what these could be ? (Example with expert flyer?)

Can I also make it an open ticket ? If so, what does it mean in practice ? Any route or specific same regions ?
Hope you get a cancellation or schedule change of more than 15min, which willl allow you to cancel the ticket.

Converting to an open ticket doesn't seem to be viable. Any rebooking will be subject to repricing of the ticket/add. collection.
ricardojrsousa likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.