Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
what's the turnaround time for a pcr/antigen test at ist airport?
Rapid antigen -> About 15-30 minutes
PCR -> The average is 4 hours
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:24 am

I have an arrival early in the morning in IST and then need to fly back 14 hrs laters. I will be coming with a PCR test from my origin city but I am pretty certain I need another PCR test within Turkey to fly back, even though the 72 hrs limit has not been crossed.

Would it be possible for me to take a test upon arriving in IST, go on with my business and then come back to fly off? I.e. are we able to access the testing center from arrivals or is it only for departing passengers?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by katofunanori
I have an arrival early in the morning in IST and then need to fly back 14 hrs laters. I will be coming with a PCR test from my origin city but I am pretty certain I need another PCR test within Turkey to fly back, even though the 72 hrs limit has not been crossed.

Would it be possible for me to take a test upon arriving in IST, go on with my business and then come back to fly off? I.e. are we able to access the testing center from arrivals or is it only for departing passengers?
You have to go through immigration to get to the test centre. But once you have entered Turkey you can access the test centre any time. So yes, you could take a test on arrival.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
It’s possible

When you pick up your luggage, pass the custom control and take the exit, go right and follow the signs for the test center.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveS
You have to go through immigration to get to the test centre. But once you have entered Turkey you can access the test centre any time. So yes, you could take a test on arrival.
Maybe give it a try and use the test center before the immigration, at my last visit it was very empty.

You can not pass it, it’s close to the immigration on the window side
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by fvn1312
Maybe give it a try and use the test center before the immigration, at my last visit it was very empty.

Thanks - I must have missed it on my last few visits just because I was always in a rush to exit so never paid any attention to anything going on around me. I am certain that it would be less congested than the landside testing center since demand would logically be less. Will try! Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
Got it, thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Howdy

Have a flight from Istanbul-London-Seattle in early June. I know I 'll need an antigen test for the USA (at this time), fine. But I also read it is necessary for transiting airside through London, just to get on my BA flight. Fine. Does anyone know if the ANTIGEN test in Istanbul airport meets the requirements as stated by UK? Presumably it does, but just checking. (Want to avoid stick up my nose PCR test if at all possible)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england#test-providers-and-type-of-test

You will need to find a test provider. You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:
  • a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device
It’s your responsibility to ensure the test meets the minimum standards for sensitivity, specificity and viral load details. You must check with your test provider that it meets those standards.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The PCR test at IST is good enough for both UK and US.
EqualOpp and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
The PCR test at IST is good enough for both UK and US.
What about the antigen?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by fvn1312

I first tried to do it before immigration but they were only doing antigen tests, not PCR (they gave some really strange excuse about requiring a police report and after my shocked reaction, the girl who seemed like a newbie, said they are just not doing PCR and I should do it after immigration). Had to do it after immigration but it was quite empty there also so didn't make a difference.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:35 am

Programs: Whatever is cheapest
Quick question: if I have a 10-hour layover during my IAD - IST - CGK itinerary, can I check-in at IAD without Indonesia's required PCR test and tell them that I will take the PCR test at IST? The price at IST is less than half of the price at US testing sites.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I first tried to do it before immigration but they were only doing antigen tests, not PCR (they gave some really strange excuse about requiring a police report and after my shocked reaction, the girl who seemed like a newbie, said they are just not doing PCR and I should do it after immigration). Had to do it after immigration but it was quite empty there also so didn't make a difference.
The test center before immigration wasn't open to the public since it opened.
I don't know the actual reason why there is a test center before immigration, however, it's exclusive to those who misconnects, etc...

Originally Posted by infrequently
Quick question: if I have a 10-hour layover during my IAD - IST - CGK itinerary, can I check-in at IAD without Indonesia's required PCR test and tell them that I will take the PCR test at IST? The price at IST is less than half of the price at US testing sites.
Turkey also requires a PCR test for entry and as you need to go enter Turkey to visit the test center, you would be denied boarding at IAD.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: Whatever is cheapest
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The test center before immigration wasn't open to the public since it opened.
I don't know the actual reason why there is a test center before immigration, however, it's exclusive to those who misconnects, etc...

Turkey also requires a PCR test for entry and as you need to go enter Turkey to visit the test center, you would be denied boarding at IAD.
Thank you for the info! It is very useful.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:59 pm

Just to clarify...

Is a SALIVA or SHALLOW NASAL SWAB test possible @ IST airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.