Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
one more question (sorry!) is it possible or worthwhile to pay in advance to save time?
No, there is no advanced payment method.
Though, the lines moves really fast and the waits are reasonable and usually short than 5 minutes.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Hi,

I will have to get an antigen test here to enter the Netherlands.
Can anyone tell me what is the cost currently and how will I have to pay?

​thanks​​​
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Hi,

I will have to get an antigen test here to enter the Netherlands.
Can anyone tell me what is the cost currently and how will I have to pay?

​thanks​​​
The cost is ₺175 and you could pay with credit card or cash ( only in TRY ).
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:10 pm

Perhaps slightly off topic for this forum... can anyone recommend a testing centre in the Sultanahmet area (not IST airport) with quick and cheap ART?

I know there's a website of all approved testing centres in Turkey, but it's not very helpful as it lists only the testing centre / lab / hospital names i the various cities, but no address (much lest Google-map like geo-locators):
​​​​​​https://hsgm.saglik.gov.tr/tr/haberl...tuvarlari.html

I personally prefer to take my COVID test as soon as the testing window for my flight allows, so I have peace of mind (and certificate!) to fly - while I'm still downtown. As opposed to traipsing all the way to IST airport and, in case it's positive, have to make last minute plan changes and traipse all the way back.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Perhaps slightly off topic for this forum... can anyone recommend a testing centre in the Sultanahmet area (not IST airport) with quick and cheap ART?

I know there's a website of all approved testing centres in Turkey, but it's not very helpful as it lists only the testing centre / lab / hospital names i the various cities, but no address (much lest Google-map like geo-locators):
​​​​​​https://hsgm.saglik.gov.tr/tr/haberl...tuvarlari.html

I personally prefer to take my COVID test as soon as the testing window for my flight allows, so I have peace of mind (and certificate!) to fly - while I'm still downtown. As opposed to traipsing all the way to IST airport and, in case it's positive, have to make last minute plan changes and traipse all the way back.
By ART, if you mean antigen rapid test, antigen tests are only conducted at the airport. If you would like to have a test downtown, it would be 99%+ a PCR test.

For PCR tests, it could cost max ₺250 by law and most places charge the upper limit which is ₺250 whereas at public hospitals, it would be cheaper.

For the location question, I have no idea regarding a testing location near Sultanahmet near the Old Town.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:41 am

I see that Istanbul Airport is offering antibody testing as well - I'm curious what exactly this report shows?

I tested positive on PCR in Ankara last week (totally asymptomatic) and then got released from quarantine with a day 5 negative PCR yesterday. I'm flying out from Istanbul on Friday and would be interested to see whether I was actually infected or whether there was a false positive of some sort. Would this test give me information towards determining that? Also, is it a swab or a blood test?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add some reference to what IST writes above. When PCR tests became widely available for travel, in perhaps June of 2020, 250 TL was about $40. Today it is about $18 (in December it was $15 for a short while). So even if charged the "full" permitted rate, this is perhaps one of the cheapest elective PCR test cost(s) in the world.
vincewy and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I see that Istanbul Airport is offering antibody testing as well - I'm curious what exactly this report shows?

I tested positive on PCR in Ankara last week (totally asymptomatic) and then got released from quarantine with a day 5 negative PCR yesterday. I'm flying out from Istanbul on Friday and would be interested to see whether I was actually infected or whether there was a false positive of some sort. Would this test give me information towards determining that? Also, is it a swab or a blood test?
In general, you should wait a few weeks before taking an antibody test. Even if you were infected, you may not have any antibodies. Antibody tests are blood tests.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
To add some reference to what IST writes above. When PCR tests became widely available for travel, in perhaps June of 2020, 250 TL was about $40. Today it is about $18 (in December it was $15 for a short while). So even if charged the "full" permitted rate, this is perhaps one of the cheapest elective PCR test cost(s) in the world.
Indeed it is!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
I am thinking of flying IAD / DXB , on TK. Do I need a Covid test at IST to enter UAE ? I know I will need a PCR test before my flight from IAD .
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgn2000
I am thinking of flying IAD / DXB , on TK. Do I need a Covid test at IST to enter UAE ? I know I will need a PCR test before my flight from IAD .
No, you wouldn't if your PCR test taken at IAD meets the entry conditions to enter Dubai.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Quick logistical question: I'm flying TK from TBS>IST>ATL. There is an overnight transit in IST, and flying into the US would require a one day test. Trying to get the test with a same day result in Tbilisi will be incredibly challenging and it be easier for me to test at IST. Question: will TK allow me to board the TBS>IST flight without a test result and allow me to test at IST for the US-bound leg, or will I need to have this wrapped up before getting on the first leg of the flight?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Quick logistical question: I'm flying TK from TBS>IST>ATL. There is an overnight transit in IST, and flying into the US would require a one day test. Trying to get the test with a same day result in Tbilisi will be incredibly challenging and it be easier for me to test at IST. Question: will TK allow me to board the TBS>IST flight without a test result and allow me to test at IST for the US-bound leg, or will I need to have this wrapped up before getting on the first leg of the flight?
They would let you fly TBS-IST but they would check you through Istanbul where you would need to clear immigration, claim your bags ( if you are not traveling HBO ) and you wouldn't be permitted to check in to your IST-ATL flight until you have a negative COVID test in hand.
northinsouth likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
They would let you fly TBS-IST but they would check you through Istanbul where you would need to clear immigration, claim your bags ( if you are not traveling HBO ) and you wouldn't be permitted to check in to your IST-ATL flight until you have a negative COVID test in hand.
This is perfectly fine by me. I have literally 22 hours between flights and would love to spend the night back in Istanbul proper. Getting a test landside would be easy enough.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I have a similar situation, with a 9 hour layover LUX-IST-TAS. It would logistically be much simpler for me to get the PCR test at IST airport during the long layover - however, will TK let me fly LUX-IST without having the documents required for the destination country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.