Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST, that may be true, but that would be the Turkish regulations, not CDC as he maintains. In any case AFAIK, in order to get a "recovery certificate" one has to take a test to show that one is no longer infected and has actually recovered!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, TK E+
Originally Posted by hfly
IST, that may be true, but that would be the Turkish regulations, not CDC as he maintains. In any case AFAIK, in order to get a "recovery certificate" one has to take a test to show that one is no longer infected and has actually recovered!
As ISTFlyer mentioned, I have guaranteed my 14 days but was told if test comes positive I will need to stay another 14 days. The example you gave says the same if you have recovered and have a letter from a doctor you should be clear to fly by showing positive test that is 14 days or older but under 90 days plus a letter. The reason I am bringing CDC example is because I am flying to US where the destination country rules apply. I am definitely going to get the letter once I reach home as others mentioned due to traveling pattern. I was trying to find if anyone had similar experience to share.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is NOT an "example", but the actual CDC questionnaire/text that one has to fill out and sign to be allowed to board a flight to the United States.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:24 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Exclamation

To clarify, this thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:23 am

Just got tested at the landside center in IST. Took about an hour to get PCR test results, very easy. Would say it's easier than getting tested in US. I asked for an antigen test since CDC will take both and they directed me to a line that said antigen, but maybe due to language barrier, everyone got a PCR test anyways. I had a stopover so just got tested when I landed, then spent weekend in city before flying back out. I did see people there at 11am getting tested for 2pm departures which would be a little close for me. Especially if flying to US since they had special check in line for US destinations and were checking test results there.

I did see another testing center airside in the A terminal so if you were just connecting, that would be the one.
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:22 am

Hi everyone. Do PCR test results issued at the test center at IST airport come along with a QR code printed on the PDF? Flying to Oman via IST and Oman asks for the QR code on the PCR test result.

Last edited by fil_87; Sep 1, 2021 at 1:11 am
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Extra random question that maybe someone can ask next time is....HOW MANY PCR CYCLES do they use? SInce I was using antigen, I think that is not relevant.

If you don't know about PCR Cycles and the casedemic...that's something you can learn about!

The nurse who took my C19 test in the Seattle area had no idea what I was talking about.

on a side note -- why are US airports so slow and expensive with results and Istanbul so fast & inexpensive? Reading about fast turnaround at Mexico airports....may have to encounter that later this year.

EDIT: Here's a link to see a terminal map. CLick on the bottom Arrivals terminal floor.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...terminal-maps/
PCR and antigen are free to US Citizens. I have had many tests done for travel and paid zero. Only tourists pay. Also labor is much more expensive in the US vs Turkey/Mexico. Nurses get paid $60-$100 per hour vs $1-2 per hour so you get the idea! I have spoken to a labcorp empoyee about those tests and he told me that the actual chemicals and materials needed to get the result are around $1. The rest is overhead, most of which is salaries!

Last edited by libuser; Sep 15, 2021 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SQ025
As ISTFlyer mentioned, I have guaranteed my 14 days but was told if test comes positive I will need to stay another 14 days. The example you gave says the same if you have recovered and have a letter from a doctor you should be clear to fly by showing positive test that is 14 days or older but under 90 days plus a letter. The reason I am bringing CDC example is because I am flying to US where the destination country rules apply. I am definitely going to get the letter once I reach home as others mentioned due to traveling pattern. I was trying to find if anyone had similar experience to share.
Hey SQ025, can you share what is your outcome, and did you manage to leave Turkey back to the US?
I'm currently in the same situation as you, but I'm "stuck" in Cappadocia. Was scheduled to fly home on the 3rd, but my test came back positive.
Experiencing no symptoms whatsoever, but am at an airbnb serving my time to wait out this 10 days.
I've been getting mixed information thus far from everyone (my airbnb host/my hotel concierge that I stayed with and the hospital that did my testing), some telling me I need to retest on the 10th day, some said my quarantine is 14 days.

As of now, there is NO anti-gen test available in my region. It only seems that I must do a PCR test regardless.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You have two options:

1- If you retest on day 10 and test negative you could leave isolating as soon as you receive your negative test results.
2- If you don't want to retest on day 10, your isolation would end on day 14.

In both cases, the day you tested positive is day 0.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You have two options:

1- If you retest on day 10 and test negative you could leave isolating as soon as you receive your negative test results.

Thanks for your input ISTFlyer and laying out my options.
I'll just retest again on Day 10. Hopefully my test turns out negative, else I will have to do what SQFlyer did to get a hospital cert to allow me to fly out.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Do you have to wait for your results at the test center at IST or can you receive them later by text or email or website? And in either case do you get a barcode or reference number that can be entered on passenger locator forms?

I need a PCR test for a UK-Romania trip (not on TK) but I will be in IST the previous day so this would be a much more convenient (and cheaper) option that hanging around at LHR for a 'rapid' test.

Thank you
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Do you have to wait for your results at the test center at IST or can you receive them later by text or email or website? And in either case do you get a barcode or reference number that can be entered on passenger locator forms?

I need a PCR test for a UK-Romania trip (not on TK) but I will be in IST the previous day so this would be a much more convenient (and cheaper) option that hanging around at LHR for a 'rapid' test.

Thank you
For the antigen test, you would need to wait.
For the PCR test, you could also check results via E-Nabız ( the website/app of the Turkish Ministry of Health )
B747-437B and ajamieson like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:50 pm

Thank you 😊
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:12 am

You have two options:
The quarantine/isolation period has been now shortened to 7 days with option to test out after 5 days effective January 2022.

I tested positive in Ankara on Friday and have been told that I can test out on Wednesday if I can return a negative result. I'm totally asymptomatic so quite optimistic at this stage. JW Marriott in Ankara are doing a great job sorting things out in the meanwhile.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:49 am

For the antigen test, you would need to wait.
For the PCR test, you could also check results via E-Nabız ( the website/app of the Turkish Ministry of Health )
one more question (sorry!) is it possible or worthwhile to pay in advance to save time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.