Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
This thread is strictly for information and experience sharing of the COVID-testing facilities at IST, it is NOT for any broader theorising about PCR or other tests' effectiveness or their limitations, COVID conspiracies or the like. Any posts falling into the latter category will be summarily deleted. Please familiarise yourself with the FT Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#stayontopic before posting. Repeated violations will be dealt with in line with the FT rules.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Covid PCR Test at IST Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Just to clarify...

Is a SALIVA or SHALLOW NASAL SWAB test possible @ IST airport?
The PCR tests that are done at the airport testing center ( landside ) are done with the saliva nasal swab method.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The PCR tests that are done at the airport testing center ( landside ) are done with the saliva nasal swab method.
saliva nasal swab?

saliva = spit from mouth

nasal swab = something stuck up my nose. Either shallow or deep is my understanding.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
saliva nasal swab?
Yes, they use the nasal swab method to get a sample from your saliva.
That's how they get PCR test results in Turkey.

Clarification Edit: They stuck something into your nose/mouth
Old May 19, 2021, 2:13 pm

Yes, they use the nasal swab method to get a sample from your saliva.
That's how they get PCR test results in Turkey.

Clarification Edit: They stuck something into your nose/mouth
Ok..so it's one or the other? What exactly happens now?

I just had my first PCR test (pre-travel), involved spitting into a plastic collection tube.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok..so it's one or the other? What exactly happens now?

I just had my first PCR test (pre-travel), involved spitting into a plastic collection tube.
The medical professional puts the swab inside your nose and mouth and gets the sample.

Here is a video from Tolga Özbek ( Turkish aviation journalist ) regarding how PCR tests are made at IST
You could watch the process here although the video is in Turkish.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:20 pm

The medical professional puts the swab inside your nose and mouth and gets the sample.

Here is a video from Tolga Özbek ( Turkish aviation journalist ) regarding how PCR tests are made at IST
You could watch the process here although the video is in Turkish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8cv3g3cyjA
Ok...thanks. Got it. So both. Strange (for me). Would that qualify as a shallow nasal swab? Or the deep one?
Old May 19, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok...thanks. Got it. So both. Strange (for me). Would that qualify as a shallow nasal swab? Or the deep one?
It would be much easy for me if you provide which country are you seeking to enter with the test that you would take?
I am not a medical professional so I am not sure if this is a deep test our a shallow nasal swab test. The only thing that I know that there is a nasal swab involved and a sample from your saliva is taken.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:32 pm

https://checkit.lucirahealth.com/

just checking out test kits you can bring with you.

Also Abbott AG Card - but must buy a 6-pack.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:33 pm

It would be much easy for me if you provide which country are you seeking to enter with the test that you would take?
I am not a medical professional so I am not sure if this is a deep test our a shallow nasal swab test. The only thing that I know that there is a nasal swab involved and a sample from your saliva is taken.
re-entering USA. I want to AVOID the deep test. Looks pretty harmless from the video.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re-entering USA. I want to AVOID the deep test. Looks pretty harmless from the video.
These tests ( that are on the video ) are harmless and they don't go deep into your mouth to get a sample from your saliva.
Plus, if you want, the Istanbul Airport testing center does antigen tests that you could give sample from your blood. USA accepts antigen tests in terms of entry.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:46 pm

These tests ( that are on the video ) are harmless and they don't go deep into your mouth to get a sample from your saliva.
Plus, if you want, the Istanbul Airport testing center does antigen tests that you could give sample from your blood. USA accepts antigen tests in terms of entry.
As long as it doesn't go deep into my nose.

A blood prick option? from finger?

I could do that.

Looks like only 1 (rapid) self-home test is approved at the moment. Have to have a "telehealth" session. The LUCIRA test doesn't work...no telehealth session.

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...m=BoardingArea

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old May 19, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as it doesn't go deep into my nose.

A blood prick option? from finger?

I could do that.

Looks like only 1 (rapid) self-home test is approved at the moment. Have to have a "telehealth" session. The LUCIRA test doesn't work...no telehealth session.

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...m=BoardingArea

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Most likely the antigen test is from the finger but I'm not 100% sure as I always do the PCR test before I travel abroad.
I am not sure about the "telehealth" method as it's quite new and I haven't tried it yet.

Maybe other posters could give you some insight.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:00 pm

Most likely the antigen test is from the finger but I'm not 100% sure as I always do the PCR test before I travel abroad.
I am not sure about the "telehealth" method as it's quite new and I haven't tried it yet.

Maybe other posters could give you some insight.
Guess I'll find out when I arrive! Got a few hours before my connecting flight so I'll go check out the test facility for the return. Unless of course the PCR test I just took comes back positive! Ha! The nurse didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked how many PCR cycles they use!
Old May 19, 2021, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The norm over the last year pretty much everywhere has been to have a large q-tip showed up your nose, some places also Sean your tonsils first some do not, but "rapid" antigen etc are barely accepted anywhere....
Old May 20, 2021, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
The norm over the last year pretty much everywhere has been to have a large q-tip showed up your nose, some places also Sean your tonsils first some do not, but "rapid" antigen etc are barely accepted anywhere....

Which is a real shame since the rapid response is very useful over waiting days for a result, even at less accuracy. Though for keeping virus out at all costs, PCR will certainly be better for that.

​​​​​​I read a lot of public health professionals and such, so to the extent this is pertinent, if you are vaccinated my understanding is you should go with the antigen if it's acceptable (it's acceptable for return to US). With the efficacy of vaccines available in the US, the odds of transmission, even after the low odds of infection, is extremely low. Using a hyper sensitive PCR test in that scenario is helping no one, as PCR tests are not really designed to test infectiousness.

So I hope that helps people in this thread determine the right test for their situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.