Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Honestly, if we all know that it will most likely not open in time - then who cares.
Sedat Guzel came on here posting pictures of the progress which we from the outside would normally not have seen. I have enjoyed watching the progress through these pictures and by the look of things it will continue for some time more. But what's the purpose of bashing the messenger - does it really make you feel better? Enjoy the pictures for what they are. The airport will ultimately open one day.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
But what's the purpose of bashing the messenger - does it really make you feel better?
I, too, enjoyed the pictures.

What I did not enjoy was the stubborn, facts-resistant, against-all-indications propaganda of "everything is perfect and will open on October 29" commentary that came with Sedat's pictures.

If, instead, Sedat had continued to just share progress pictures and said "doen't look so ready yet, we'll see when and how it will actually start full operations", none of the debate in this thread would have happened.
Gnopps, craigthemif and Gwynbleidd like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Sedat, we love you. Don't take personally the nonsense around this thread, just keep posting pictures please
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:59 am
SXB

Programs: TK
I agree with hflr and airoli. The reason most of us look at this website is so we can make informed decisions regarding air travel. Whilst we all appreciate the pictures provided by Sedat his posts contained the normal government propaganda that those of us who live in Turkey know only too well.
ajamieson and TPJ like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:04 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SXB
I agree with hflr and airoli. The reason most of us look at this website is so we can make informed decisions regarding air travel. Whilst we all appreciate the pictures provided by Sedat his posts contained the normal government propaganda that those of us who live in Turkey know only too well.
Sure, that is clear. But debate the topic, not what a contractor says in a forum. Disagree with the issue, why blast someone who toes the line of his employer...
Sedat Guzel likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:16 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Just my two cents: Most of us in this forum fly TK regularly and as such have an obvious interest in the new airport and in particular the operational implications for TK. That's why this thread is in the TK forum and NOT in the destinations forum (Europe). On the operational implications we have yet to hear any details. Not one word, a month out from the supposed opening date we know nothing. Many here have been through airport openings and these almost never go smoothly. The intersection of this project with the colourful Turkish political scene has always made things more complicated.

Pictures are all nice and well and I too appreciate them but they will not detract from the need to give passenger and potential passengers information (will I book a flight via IST when I have no idea how smooth my connection will work?). I know for a fact that large corporate customers have ordered TK to come in-house and explain what is actually going on and have warned them not to give a PR explanation but operational details.
TPJ, pencereamelesi, royng and 4 others like this.

Last edited by starflyergold; Sep 25, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:22 am
SXB

Programs: TK
Sure, that is clear. But debate the topic, not what a contractor says in a forum. Disagree with the issue, why blast someone who toes the line of his employer...
That's fair enough but if someone has a vested interest they should at least declare that. It's like if a TK flight crew member posts that TK on board service is the best in the industry the fact that I might know they work for TK helps me put their post into context.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I have a J flight scheduled out of IST in early January and another one next August. I'm hoping the January flight will remain at Ataturk and the August one will be out of the new airport (and that the lounge is completely finished by then ).

And the lack of information from the airport or TK on this is disappointing, but I assume they're using the same consultants Marriott used for the recent merger with SPG, and particularly the travel package transition.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Just my two cents: Most of us in this forum fly TK regularly and as such have an obvious interest in the new airport and in particular the operational implications for TK. That's why this thread is in the TK forum and NOT in the destinations forum (Europe). On the operational implications we have yet to hear any details. Not one word, a month out from the supposed opening date we know nothing. Many here have been through airport openings and these almost never go smoothly. The intersection of this project with the colourful Turkish political scene has always made things more complicated.

Pictures are all nice and well and I too appreciate them but they will not detract from the need to give passenger and potential passengers information (will I book a flight via IST when I have no idea how smooth my connection will work?). I know for a fact that large corporate customers have ordered TK to come in-house and explain what is actually going on and have warned them not to give a PR explanation but operational details.
The pictures that I post from different social media just show the process and the hard work of of the employees in this huge Project from different views. And as I see, they made a good job so far and there is a lot of to do. They can be proud of this. But we all have to acknowledge, that this project is a PPP and TK/ THY is a strategic customer and the goals are obviously in conflict. But at the and of the day we will see a milestone in the Turkish aviation. And this is what the project is all about. In few years all the “actual” issues will seem very marginal, I hope.

I’m not a TK/ THY customer at all and my interest is more in architecture than in aviation.

The intention should be cleer for everybody.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Sinter likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:28 am

Honestly, if we all know that it will most likely not open in time - then who cares.
Sedat Guzel came on here posting pictures of the progress which we from the outside would normally not have seen. I have enjoyed watching the progress through these pictures and by the look of things it will continue for some time more. But what's the purpose of bashing the messenger - does it really make you feel better? Enjoy the pictures for what they are. The airport will ultimately open one day.
Erm you guys realize that Sedat just steals images from instagram and news sites? You can see them as much from the outside world as Sedat does.

Those are public images that Sedat spreads here without any permisson, infringing copyrights in probably every of his posts.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 am

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:10 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Unfortunately this thread will be permanently closed. What was supposed to be an informative thread about the new airport has progressively turned into a propaganda and counter propaganda exercise. Despite repeated warnings in thread and in the wiki the amount of FT rules violations have made it impossible to keep this thread open. If anyone wishes to discuss politics I highly recommend OMNI.

Once TK related operational information becomes available and the airport has opened a new thread will be created.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator

Last edited by starflyergold; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.