Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:20 pm

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Come to think of it:
I hope new IST will have adequate machinery (ploughs/de-icing?) to deal with the annual snow that often turned old IST into a nightmare.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I cannot repeat more, impressive posting here Sedat! Superkudos
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
BOM, Just under 50 Million pax a year, Metro will open this year or next year.
​​​​​​​CGK, Over 60 Million pax a year, High speed rail link under construction or maybe open now?
Sao Paulo ?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by mafaky
It's a well known story that Turkish Airlines wish to re-locate at INA as the last airline!...Well, to be honest, they do have their reasons apart from the fact to avoid early days' chaos, etc. Most likely, their CIP Lounge(s) will not be ready by that date... Also the in-terminal YOTEL Hotel, many of the sales outlets, F & B outlets! And TK has to rely pretty heavily on transit (transfer) traffic.

The sensible thing is a smooth and slow transition. All foreign airlines (except for the Star Alliance ones, due to the latter's connection with TK) can be moved to INA, as pioneers (and guinea pigs). These have minimum (though not zero) domestic connections and will not need the presence of the Domestic Wing of the Terminal.

The traffic at INA will be at minimum, though there will be a rather big burden (and a bit of a risk) for the ATCs. Unfortunately the airspace connected to the runways at INA and one runway (mostly used for departures) at AHL do intersect/collide. But it's not an impossible management. In the meanwhile the orientation at INA can be more rationalised/approved.

As a second step, the two AHL based smaller players can be relocated at INA (namely AtlasGlobal & OnurAir), and the Domestic Pier can be opened.

Finally, Turkish Airlines (and Star Alliance member airlines) can be relocated by the time almost everything has settled down (say at the beginning of S19 timetable, which is late March 2019). The only risk there is the possibility of having bad winter weather at the time of this transition.

We'll all have to wait and see!...@:-)
Don't think slow transition is an option. I remember when Hong Kong airport was moving the last flight left at 23.59 at the old airport and everything from 0.00 will be using the new airport.

The old airport seized to function on that day after 23.59. i don't think the airport did any special change due to the move. It might be different with IST as it will be continue to be an airport after that.

There are always things that's not ready - you can always use more time and $ to make things perfect.

I can imagine people are doing all sorts of testing like crazy at the new IST so that everything will be ready for the quick move.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:59 am

Finally, Turkish Airlines (and Star Alliance member airlines) can be relocated by the time almost everything has settled down (say at the beginning of S19 timetable, which is late March 2019). The only risk there is the possibility of having bad winter weather at the time of this transition.
Do you mean that there may be a gap of many months between the other airlines moving to the new airport and Turkish Airlines moving? Would they not just move in despite the any problems which arise rather than waiting so long for their expansion?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by edisg
Do you mean that there may be a gap of many months between the other airlines moving to the new airport and Turkish Airlines moving? Would they not just move in despite the any problems which arise rather than waiting so long for their expansion?
This is only a hypothesis, or call it a gutfeel. I don't have any solid inside information but as told before -- TK wants to delay this relocation.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Don't think slow transition is an option. I remember when Hong Kong airport was moving the last flight left at 23.59 at the old airport and everything from 0.00 will be using the new airport.

The old airport seized to function on that day after 23.59. i don't think the airport did any special change due to the move. It might be different with IST as it will be continue to be an airport after that.

There are always things that's not ready - you can always use more time and $ to make things perfect.

I can imagine people are doing all sorts of testing like crazy at the new IST so that everything will be ready for the quick move.
Being a frequent passenger (both as O & D and also as transfer) to both the old (Kai-Tak) and the New HKG Airports, it will be a huge mistake to compare the re-location at HKG with IST's. Kai-Tak moved out an annual capacity of near-to 30 million, IST will be moving out +65 million. HKG had no domestic services (and still doresn't have), IST's almost 1/3 traffic is domestic. In HKG, the base airlines had to ferry less than one half of the frames that AHL based carriers will have to. At Day No.1 (actually at Day Minus) HKG had a smoothly running Airport Express railway sytem, while IST's first metro line will be able to carry pax, by mid 2020, at the best! (They repeatedly say end-of 2019 but that's pure BS).

No need to compare apples versus oranges!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For that matter HKG had about 1/4 of the China services that it has now, also in addition to the train there were new bridges and a major highway AS WELL as even a major new tunnel between Kowloon and HK island in operation, actually HK even including cargo operators at the time actually had less than 25% of the frames as various Turkish carriers. HKG airport also took about 2 years to complete, test and get certification for all of its systems.............. The better comparison would perhaps be BKK. Also Mafaky, it is not just the real TK feeling, every single person who is actually involved in aviation in Istanbul would like to see it delayed by at least 6 months.............
wrp96 and mafaky like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
When the Colonial government announced a new HKG early 90s, people were really angry about it and saying the government is wasting $$$ - the nick name of the new airport project was Rose Garden - something you present to people and something you don't need. Being someone from HK you learn to be practical because you don't have space for things that you need. At that time - the new airport, now HKG actually needs the third runway.

You can't really fly domestic HK - HOWEVER it depends on flights to China and Taiwan regarded as domestic (don't want to get into political discussion here and yes it's weird that at PEK flights to HK, Macau and Taiwan are from international terminal).

IST is really congested already and it needs to expand, don't know how much longer it can wait.

I was thinking about BKK too, hope this will turn out better than that.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:48 pm

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Today, some rumor based news have erupted in a relatively reliable website (kokpitaero) that the opening may be delayed by 1 to 3 months, although IGA has been denying this.

I know my country better than your: I'm not excited nor thrilled by these news. We are much used to declare things (like postponements) on the very last minute; supposedly "to save face"!

Last edited by mafaky; Sep 5, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Also Mafaky, it is not just the real TK feeling, every single person who is actually involved in aviation in Istanbul would like to see it delayed by at least 6 months.............
Except for the BOTS Consortium! They fired their CEO, because the guy told and warned them the opening on Oct. 29th is not possible/realistic/safe!... It's hard to believe and rather embaressing that a physical fist-fight took place in that board meeting! The CEO was fired but was also paid a "hush money" for around USD 1 Million at the time!...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:44 am

Today, some rumor based news have erupted in a relatively reliable website (kokpitaero) that the opening may be delayed by 1 to 3 months, although IGA has been denying this.

I know my country better than your: I'm not excited nor thrilled by these news. We are much used to declare things (like postponements) on the very last minute; supposedly "to save face"!
there will be a soft opening, but no delay. Here is the full article:
Yeni havaliman?n?n aç?l??? ertelenecek mi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.