Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by hfly
And now that the government has dollarized contracts for all individuals and businesses in Turkey there is a huge backlash about governments contracts guaranteed in foreign currencies such as the airport, looks bad for the consortium considering that they are already in the hole and could not pay many things on time already, even before this happened. Now they have the US and the striking workers to blame, Expect a delay announcement (or soft whatever) by the end of the month.
Don’t worry. They will open on time⏱🎯The works are full throttle...⏭
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club
The equipment that are being carried out from Ataturk Airport is not the beginning of a partial re-location. These are being shifted out to INA for the TEKNOFEST Event, which will be taking place this month. But they are probably surplus items and will not be shipped back to Ataturk...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
And now that the government has dollarized contracts for all individuals and businesses in Turkey there is a huge backlash about governments contracts guaranteed in foreign currencies such as the airport, looks bad for the consortium considering that they are already in the hole and could not pay many things on time already, even before this happened. Now they have the US and the striking workers to blame, Expect a delay announcement (or soft whatever) by the end of the month.
Your comments about IGA's payment delays don't reflect the entire truth. From time to time IGA doesn't pay (or partially pay) the sub-contractors bcz. of some mishap/misdeed the latter cause. The sub-contractors do not pay their workforce, in turn (not necessarily using the case as a weapon against IGA, but mostly because they have to rely on IGA for their financing). There has been occasions that IGA finally paid these individuals directly but that's an extra effort and time consuming one. The Turkish Company that I'm affiliated with is also a sub-contractor but hasn't experienced any punishing action from INA but I have to admit that they are on the more civilized part of the business (nothing to do with construction, IT services only).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Apparently, tear gases have been used against workers in IGA
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: TK Gold
https://www.france24.com/en/20180914...workers-report
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:50 am

According to the news in their website (yet unconfirmed by any party): THY'den fla? Yeni Havaliman? karar? (Sorry, it's all in Turkish)

TK will start operations at INA only with 20-30 planes, after Oct. 29th. These will consist of un-connected flights only; all flights with domestic and international connections will still be carried out from Ataturk Airport! Full operations will be (supposedly achieved) only by the end of 2018 (not 2019, as originally typed!). Even this may be a somehow "time buying" case; it may get prolonged until the beginning of 2019 Summer Timetable...

It goes without saying that Star Alliance flights will also stay at Ataturk. I now wonder, what other airlines (particularly BA, EK & QR to name a few, which have multiple daily flights) will react to this as it will be unfair competition for them, as long as TK remains at Ataturk.

I'm pretty much sure, that IGA partners have "much enjoyed" these news, if these will come out true. It will be a major loss of face, after all what has been commented, so far!...

However, INA/IGA partners will still have a small consolation: The Pax Guarantee to be provided by the State will start clicking during this quarter-time activities at the New Airport!
Sinter likes this.

Last edited by mafaky; Sep 15, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:46 am

Protests are continueing. There are supposedly over 400 arrests. Workers are threatened to quit their jobs. It has become a terrible and nasty situation.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
And now they are going to blame the opening delays on the workers
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Exotic
Protests are continueing. There are supposedly over 400 arrests. Workers are threatened to quit their jobs. It has become a terrible and nasty situation.
Arguably, it was a terrible and nasty situation even before.

According to a report in February, 400 workers were killed during construction (albeit the Turkish government acknowledges only 27 deaths). And working conditions apparently continue to deteriorate. One report (Ahval) I read says the strike was triggered by an acccident injuring 17 people, with an accident earlier this week severely injuring 2.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Arguably, it was a terrible and nasty situation even before.

According to a report in February, 400 workers were killed during construction (albeit the Turkish government acknowledges only 27 deaths). And working conditions apparently continue to deteriorate. One report (Ahval) I read says the strike was triggered by an acccident injuring 17 people, with an accident earlier this week severely injuring 2.
Possibly more than that. An insider claimed that there were over 900 deaths. And I just watched now a video of a group o workers saying that 3 people died during the protests already.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

TK New Airport Lounge

Given that Istanbul New Airport is about to open late next month...Does anyone have any idea of what the new flagship Lounge Istanbul will look like?

I've enjoyed the food, drink, and entertainment at the current one. However, I've found it quite chaotic. Also, I've found finding seating and a place to put my carry on items there to be quite difficult during the times I've transited through Istanbul. So more seating/storage would be nice in a new lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
And the food preparation areas and food stations in particular...? No fine food, then I'm not leaving my sofa...
The work on lounge probably only have started for about 2 months. Expect large parts to be unavailable on opening.

The food preparation is minimal as they are mostly looked out of the airport and only heated up to be served.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I wish we could get more clarity. I have a mid-November itinerary that I would gladly book on TK, but not if there is a chance of the flights going through the new airport!

Other people can have the "Try out the new and shiny". I'll stick with the tried and true...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I wish we could get more clarity. I have a mid-November itinerary that I would gladly book on TK, but not if there is a chance of the flights going through the new airport!

Other people can have the "Try out the new and shiny". I'll stick with the tried and true...
I have a flight on the 2nd of NovemberOTP-IST-CAI, I booked it just because a friend of mine wants to see Egypt and she is not very well traveled so i thought that I will help her in case all goes "bad" in Istanbul. I am actually very excited to see how it will be.
I will report here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.