Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:56 am

Some impressions from the Teknofest

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:13 am

Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Great pics.
I m happy Seddat is back. The only reason I visit this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:51 am

Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:57 am
SXB

Programs: TK
Sedat, What do you know about the delay in opening ?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by SXB
Sedat, What do you know about the delay in opening ?
They say, that the things going well [to make a soft opening on time ( instrument landing system (ILS) is opartional a.s.o.)]. I personally think, that it will be a symbilc opening with few airplanes. The core facilities will be ready, but there are more things to do simultaniously... At the end of the year and beginning of 2019 they will get fully transferd to the IGA.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, just to get this straight.................

You are now confirming exactly what I, and many others have been saying on this thread, almost since the start of this thread.............

That the airport will in fact not be ready at the end of October, that they may do a face saving small opening ( or "soft opening" as you describe it) and fly a few flights in and out........................

and that the airport may not in fact be fully open for maybe at least several if not many more months?
airoli, wrp96, Lefly and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by hfly

You are now confirming exactly what I, and many others have been saying on this thread, almost since the start of this thread.............

That the airport will in fact not be ready at the end of October, that they may do a face saving small opening ( or "soft opening" as you describe it) and fly a few flights in and out........................

and that the airport may not in fact be fully open for maybe at least several if not many more months?
What I wanted t osay ist, that I think the airport will be ready and oparational on time. I don't think all parts of THY will be ready and fully oparate from the new airport. The whole staff made and are making a great job, if you just look when they startet 40 month ago. There are a lot of things to do , bigger (Metro, Airport City, Hotels ...) and smaller (facade, landscape gardening, ...) but this can made simultanious, if the airport is open! Big applause to the guys on the ground and in the project groups! I
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would seem that the President of the Republic of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, has made the official line today in a speech.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/m...strike-erdogan

In short, what he said is that the airport is 100% opening on the 29th of October, that the terminal and runways are beautiful, but that Ataturk will continue to function and that there will be a "transition period".

Translation: While the pretty building is pretty much built and almost kitted out, and the runways are laid, nothing else is really ready and the systems are not checked nor will they be ontime (which every expert of FT has said to be the case for quite awhile now), the big history making move of TK is not happening on or around that date (TK never really wanted it anyway), and that while the airport will open (I am awaiting taxi drivers and the like to start repeating the term "soft opening" any moment now), it will be for a miniscule amount of flights. It could open at the end of 2018 (unlikely), before the end of 2019 (likely), or who knows when.............
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
..I am awaiting taxi drivers and the like to start repeating the term "soft opening" any moment now.............

Each to his own ! I fact I think I've heard something like that from Taksim taxi drivers before ...

But what is the Turkish for "soft opening" in this context
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:30 am
SXB

Yes hflr, that's correct
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:31 am
SXB

[QUOTE=SXB;30239607]So, just to get this straight.................

[You are now confirming exactly what I, and many others have been saying on this thread, almost since the start of this thread.............

Yes hflr, that's correct
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

Is the gloating necessary?
hartfordsam likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No not gloating, just wanted it made clear, so that when the next round of people hitting this thread asking questions such as, "I am flying on November XX, will the new airport be open", they can see that there are not any longer two sides/opinions about this now, and that in fact the opening is delayed, rather than referring to recent and old posts claiming absolutely that it would be open and fully operating at the end of October. It is important on FT that the information is as accurate as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.