Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by high.and.above
I have a flight on the 2nd of NovemberOTP-IST-CAI, I booked it just because a friend of mine wants to see Egypt and she is not very well traveled so i thought that I will help her in case all goes "bad" in Istanbul. I am actually very excited to see how it will be.
I will report here
There will probably be no difference to all other TK trips in the last decade...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by mafaky
According to the news in their website (yet unconfirmed by any party): THY'den fla? Yeni Havaliman? karar? (Sorry, it's all in Turkish)

TK will start operations at INA only with 20-30 planes, after Oct. 29th. These will consist of un-connected flights only; all flights with domestic and international connections will still be carried out from Ataturk Airport! Full operations will be (supposedly achieved) only by the end of 2018 (not 2019, as originally typed!). Even this may be a somehow "time buying" case; it may get prolonged until the beginning of 2019 Summer Timetable...

It goes without saying that Star Alliance flights will also stay at Ataturk. I now wonder, what other airlines (particularly BA, EK & QR to name a few, which have multiple daily flights) will react to this as it will be unfair competition for them, as long as TK remains at Ataturk.

I'm pretty much sure, that IGA partners have "much enjoyed" these news, if these will come out true. It will be a major loss of face, after all what has been commented, so far!...

However, INA/IGA partners will still have a small consolation: The Pax Guarantee to be provided by the State will start clicking during this quarter-time activities at the New Airport!
Can you explain what you mean by non connecting flights? Aren’t all flights from an airport one way?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by slickvik

Can you explain what you mean by non connecting flights? Aren’t all flights from an airport one way?
I guess it translates as flights unlikely to be carrying passengers transferring to/from other flights into/out of Istanbul. But that's a pretty heroic assumption for any carrier, even for BA
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:17 am
SXB

Programs: TK
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I guess it translates as flights unlikely to be carrying passengers transferring to/from other flights into/out of Istanbul. But that's a pretty heroic assumption for any carrier, even for BA
LoL Well that would mean no TK or Star alliance flights, or even any other airline which is part of an alliance which could possibly offer a transfer to another partner. Maybe the new IST airport could be the new hub for RYR and EZY ?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SXB
LoL Well that would mean no TK or Star alliance flights, or even any other airline which is part of an alliance which could possibly offer a transfer to another partner. Maybe the new IST airport could be the new hub for RYR and EZY ?
Sigh. Yes, as the guy said, looks like TK and *A stay at Ataturk, while those less encumbered by connecting traffic might be persuaded that YeniIST is good for them (there could be financial incentives, who knows).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several people here in this thread have said for months that it would be possibly catastrophic for TK to move right in, that TK knows this and wished to be the last into the new airport once everything is working, it is looking that this will now be the case.
Dianne47 and mafaky like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:48 pm

Zaman Bilal Ek?i?yi hakl? ç?kard? - Yeni havaliman?n?n ad? ICAO sitesinde

Based on a recent (17 Sept) news report (link above), the new airport may likely be named...

ISTANBUL FATIH SULTAN MEHMET AIRPORT

IATA: IST
ICAO: LTFM
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:29 am

Another suggestion of a several month delay: "Opening of Istanbul’s third airport to be delayed - columnist"

https://ahvalnews.com/third-airport/...yed-columnist#
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As has been stated before, Ahval is NOT considered by anyone to be a credible news source.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:48 am

BREAKING.

The first passenger plane TC-LSA A321N has landed on the new airport today after a 15 min flight.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
@:-) I would like to remind everyone to be aware of the notice in the wiki above with regard to the FT rules. @:-)

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
check out the recent posts about #istanbulnewairport on Instagram.

Looks like Teknofest is in full swing, with some patriotic aerial acrobatics and a (Red Bull?) race between various supercars, a motorcycle and jets which is sure to look great on social media in the right packaging.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Reports that opening is delayed to December 31st according to DHMI.
I think it's a good news, will be less chaotic although it might be busy early January for vacation returns and potential snow problems.
mafaky likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mict
Reports that opening is delayed to December 31st according to DHMI.
I think it's a good news.....
Kinda depends if they were brave enough to add the year .....
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.