Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:27 pm

free tour

Originally Posted by cagcag
Despite not being able to obtain free hotel accommodation, I do believe that THY will allow you to join a free tour. The only caveat being that the tours leave from Ataturk Airport (IST), so joining the tour would mean returning to IST from wherever you will be staying. If you end up staying near the Airport, many of the hotels provide free transport from and to the Airport. I hope you enjoy your stay in Istanbul.
We know that nacho family were allowed tour in spite of long layover was elected-type, was that an exception or do others have similar experience?

(no hotel because long layover was elective but ok with tour)
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:23 pm

check on hotel eligibility

Originally Posted by SerocoOl
Is there a chance getting an hotel as Elite Plus flying C WAW-IST-KUL with a layover to KUL 6:25 and back 6:50...

Nearly 7h in the lounge is too.... long... and back only 10 min. missing...

email them at [email protected] w/ flite details and ask them if u're eligible
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, TK Elite+ *G, ClubCarlson Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum, LH MM
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
email them at [email protected] w/ flite details and ask them if u're eligible
Thanks... will try this! Wrot them a mail.... lets look i will get an answer (mails and TK.... i don´t think getting an answer till i will be in IST )
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
i get in at 1045pm to IST, leave 2PM the next day. Will they still be open to get me the room when I land? I figure i'll be at least 1130 when i clear customs
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
i get in at 1045pm to IST, leave 2PM the next day. Will they still be open to get me the room when I land? I figure i'll be at least 1130 when i clear customs
The THY Hotel Desk is open 24/7. Please ensure that there is no later flight from your origin, nor earlier flight to your destination in the schedule, even if you are not booked on the later/earlier flights combination.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by exmike
You MAY get lucky with customs. About 2 weeks ago, we landed from LA at 5:45pm and I was through passport, through customs, checked in at the TY hotel desk and drinking my Starbucks (waiting for hotel shuttle) by 6pm.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour when connecting at IST

Where can I find " Turkish Airlines’ corporate hotels" list? I will be arriving from BKK to IST on TK 69 at 05:40 on the 17 Dec with a connection on TK 1799 leaves 14:05 to GOT. Layover is 8.25 hr. Flying Business. There is an earlier flight at 09:05 but TK told me that I'm not eligible for the earlier flight because my fare class is discounted business. This is strange to me because it would cost savings for TK to put me on the earlier flight then giving me a hotel.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Where can I find " Turkish Airlines’ corporate hotels" list? I will be arriving from BKK to IST on TK 69 at 05:40 on the 17 Dec with a connection on TK 1799 leaves 14:05 to GOT. Layover is 8.25 hr. Flying Business. There is an earlier flight at 09:05 but TK told me that I'm not eligible for the earlier flight because my fare class is discounted business. This is strange to me because it would cost savings for TK to put me on the earlier flight then giving me a hotel.
Under the rules you will NOT get a hotel, because you have the option of leaving earlier on TK. (It doesn't matter that you need a different fare class.) You either need to pay the difference on the fare or take care of your own hotel. (I don't make the rules, I am just telling you what they say. Nor I am saying that they never make exceptions. BUT, based on a detailed review the website and third party review sites, I can say that they SEEM to follow the rules very closely.)

P.S. - They use different hotels. About 3 weeks ago they put us at Raidsson Blu. It was a nice, clean hotel with an outstanding breakfast buffet.

Last edited by sbrower; Nov 19, 2013 at 6:00 am
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sbrower
You MAY get lucky with customs. About 2 weeks ago, we landed from LA at 5:45pm and I was through passport, through customs, checked in at the TY hotel desk and drinking my Starbucks (waiting for hotel shuttle) by 6pm.
Considering that my past flights into IST have been rather detached from immigration, not to mention the queues never made any sense, I'd say that's quite fast!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Question If this UA-issued award ticket with TK flights qualified for transit hotel service?

I will have two TK flights via IST from Malaga to Edinburgh.

Are these two flights defined as 'international' flights?

My ticket is issued by UA award. Is it qualified for this service?

My detailed flight schedule is:

Monday: Malaga to IST by TK1306, arrive at 7:15pm
Tuesday: IST to Edinburgh by TK1345, depart at 12:35pm

Thanks for clarification!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:51 am

I have read the rules...and numerous posts regarding a 10 hour layover via the schedule to be able to obtain a free hotel room. I have not seen a post addressing my particular circumstances. I am flying BOS to FCO via IST. The layover in IST 23.5 hours. According to the TK schedule, the shortest possible layover for this flight is 15.5 hours. Since the shortest layover possible is greater than 10 hours, am I entitled to the room, even though I did not select the shortest layover possible? The same happens on my return trip home. I will have 18.5 hours in IST, the shortest possible layover is 15.5 hours. Will both flights entitle me to hotel rooms?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yes you are entitled to free hotel by TK - as long as the schedule doesn't change so that there is a connection that is less than 8 hours. What the hotel desk look at is to see your layover time and then compared to the TK schedule on that particular day.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Smiles3usa
I have read the rules...and numerous posts regarding a 10 hour layover via the schedule to be able to obtain a free hotel room. I have not seen a post addressing my particular circumstances. I am flying BOS to FCO via IST. The layover in IST 23.5 hours. According to the TK schedule, the shortest possible layover for this flight is 15.5 hours. Since the shortest layover possible is greater than 10 hours, am I entitled to the room, even though I did not select the shortest layover possible? The same happens on my return trip home. I will have 18.5 hours in IST, the shortest possible layover is 15.5 hours. Will both flights entitle me to hotel rooms?
You need to be sure about your information, because there is a connecting flight to FCO after arrival in IST fro BOS of 5 hours 40 minutes.

A layover of 5:40 will NOT provide you with free accommodation. It is not relevant to THY whether you booked a later flight or were unable to book the connecting flight with the shortest connection time .

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Departure: 23:55 Boston, USA - Logan International
Arrival: 16:35 +1 day(s) Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I

Airline: Turkish Airlines TK82 e
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-300

Change of plane required. Time between flights : 5:40.

Flight 2 Thursday, June 05, 2014

Departure: 22:15 Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I
Arrival: 23:50 Rome, Italy - Fiumicino, terminal 3

Airline: Turkish Airlines TK1361 e
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
You need to be sure about your information, because there is a connecting flight to FCO after arrival in IST fro BOS of 5 hours 40 minutes.

A layover of 5:40 will NOT provide you with free accommodation. It is not relevant to THY whether you booked a later flight or were unable to book the connecting flight with the shortest connection time .

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Departure: 23:55 Boston, USA - Logan International
Arrival: 16:35 +1 day(s) Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I

Airline: Turkish Airlines TK82 e
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-300

Change of plane required. Time between flights : 5:40.

Flight 2 Thursday, June 05, 2014

Departure: 22:15 Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I
Arrival: 23:50 Rome, Italy - Fiumicino, terminal 3

Airline: Turkish Airlines TK1361 e
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200
Yes, that's why I chose a Tuesday flight from BOS. It gets to IST at 16:35+1, and the next flight to FCO is 10:00 -- although I have choosen to take the 16:30 flight to FCO. The Wednesday flight you referenece would get me to FCO faster, but I am not catching the cruise till Saturday, so I have some relaxation time. That's the great thing about schedules, they can work to the consumers' advantage too Luckily the connecting flight you reference is not available if I land in IST Wednesday afternoon like I am scheduled. I wasn't aware, however, that if TK changes the schedule, I am not permitted room. My leave date is Tuesday, Septembr 30, 2014.

BTW Thanks to this site for telling me the rules, so I could play with the schedule and work it to my advantage. Two extra vacation days with only incidentals to take care of is great!

Last edited by Smiles3usa; Nov 22, 2013 at 3:59 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:55 pm

For the 'next available flight' criteria do the flights need to be on TK metal?

There is a flight that arrives in IST at 13:45 ... on TK metal the next departing flight to the final destination is 13:45 the next day, but there is a 14:45 depature on a codeshare (same day as arrival into IST) and I'm afraid that'll kill the hotel offer (a 60 min intl-intl connection seems a bit crazy and it doesn't appear bookable anyways, but that doesn't seem to affect the validity of the claim).

**Edit: This question is no longer relevant to me as I was looking at the wrong dates (correct date doesn't have a 2nd flight), but if anyone knows the answer, I'm sure the question has applied to others and an answer would still be appreciated!

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Nov 24, 2013 at 1:57 am Reason: Was looking at the wrong dates! Yikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.