Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
TK will provide a shuttle to/from the airport, which gets you there with more than enough time to spare. They run 7/24..

If you want to sleep longer, you can skip the shuttle and get a taxi instead. Taxis in Turkey are very cheap, but you might need cash to pay for them. They'll happy accept Euro, at least according to my experience, at a slightly worse exchange rate, though.
And beside that, say and finger on the money "Its € I am paying" - otherwise the driver might say you paid in TL.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
TK will provide a shuttle to/from the airport, which gets you there with more than enough time to spare. They run 7/24..

If you want to sleep longer, you can skip the shuttle and get a taxi instead. Taxis in Turkey are very cheap, but you might need cash to pay for them. They'll happy accept Euro, at least according to my experience, at a slightly worse exchange rate, though.
The free hotel that TK offers is that for long-haul J? Possible flight DUB-IST-NAP is an overnight connection, will TK offer the free hotel room?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The free hotel that TK offers is that for long-haul J? Possible flight DUB-IST-NAP is an overnight connection, will TK offer the free hotel room?
Yes, they offer it to all passengers under certain circumstances, but the devil is in the details, so read the first quote in the FAQ 8 carefully.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Yes, they offer it to all passengers under certain circumstances, but the devil is in the details, so read the first quote in the FAQ 8 carefully.
Thanks, I read it twice, but it's very vague, so is DUB-IST-NAP considered an International Flight?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Thanks, I read it twice, but it's very vague, so is DUB-IST-NAP considered an International Flight?

Yes this is from the TK website: "The hotel service is available to international passengers traveling from outside Turkey who have a connecting flight to their final destination outside Turkey which departs from Istanbul Atatürk Airport."

You are flying from Republic of Ireland to Turkey and then to Italy in J so you meet the international flights qualification. And provided your layover is at least 7 hours then you are eligible.

But if there is an earlier flight you could have chosen to fly on that would have shortened the layover to fewer than 7 hours - that would make you ineligible.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CoweyB
Yes this is from the TK website: "The hotel service is available to international passengers traveling from outside Turkey who have a connecting flight to their final destination outside Turkey which departs from Istanbul Atatürk Airport."

You are flying from Republic of Ireland to Turkey and then to Italy in J so you meet the international flights qualification. And provided your layover is at least 7 hours then you are eligible.

But if there is an earlier flight you could have chosen to fly on that would have shortened the layover to fewer than 7 hours - that would make you ineligible.
No other flights to NAP so we are safe, Thank you
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:00 am

I suggest you talk with turkish after you book with the booking code to check you are eligible. I suggest social media (twitter) as I got confirmation from them as well about beeing available
CoweyB likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by schumitza
I suggest you talk with turkish after you book with the booking code to check you are eligible. I suggest social media (twitter) as I got confirmation from them as well about beeing available

I plan on it,
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Due to a mix-up with my (corporate) TA I’m booked on a one hour INT-INT connection when flying back from KZN.
I assume incoming flights from Russia will not be “clean” - what is security like at 6 am (arrival 5:55, departure 6:55)?

How good (or bad) are TK at rebooking a full-flex H-fare ticket once it’s been partially used?
When does TK release tickets to Airport control (e.g. could I get my ticket rebooked at IST airport on the way to KZN)?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frogster
Due to a mix-up with my (corporate) TA I’m booked on a one hour INT-INT connection when flying back from KZN.
I assume incoming flights from Russia will not be “clean” - what is security like at 6 am (arrival 5:55, departure 6:55)?

How good (or bad) are TK at rebooking a full-flex H-fare ticket once it’s been partially used?
When does TK release tickets to Airport control (e.g. could I get my ticket rebooked at IST airport on the way to KZN)?
On a single ticket, with *G (priority security line), it should be a doable connection. If the inbound is more than 10-15 minutes late though, you're toast.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:05 am

frogster seems to want to return to Germany - a destination still seeing tons of flights from TK every day. So even if by chance his city would be fully booked, good chance another airport nearby would still have some seats available.

I'd not worry at all. Even on cheap-cheap tickets, as long as on one PNR, you'll be rebooked.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: *G, OWS
frogster seems to want to return to Germany - a destination still seeing tons of flights from TK every day. So even if by chance his city would be fully booked, good chance another airport nearby would still have some seats available.

I'd not worry at all. Even on cheap-cheap tickets, as long as on one PNR, you'll be rebooked.
There are more than enough alternates (HAJ, DUS, FRA,...) which are sure to have some open seats after my early morning flight so I'm not worried about that. I was curious about irrops handling (do they proactively rebook once I'm below MCT due to delays, how they handle rebooking once I've missed the flight,...) and if the lounge was able to rebook me on the way to Russia (so I can enjoy the lounge on the way back as well )
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: United | Delta | MileagePlus, Marriott
Question Transfer at IST

I have an ADD (Ethiopia) > IST > JFK on TK in November with 7 hours at IST.

1] Is it certain that IST will still be Ataturk?

2] If I stay within IST, I wouldn't need a visa, right?

3] Is 7 hours (it's during the daytime) enough to go to Istanbul and worth the visa/transportation?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
1) Nothing is 'certain' at this point but most signs show that it will still be Ataturk at this point
2) You do not need a visa if you stay in the transit area of IST
3) I would definitely leave as Istanbul is a great city to see and eat in and it definitely beats the crowds in the airport (assuming you don't have lounge access). 7 hours is enough time to go out and about and you can get your evisa online ahead of time. As you have a 6+ hour layover, you can avail one of the free tours provided by TK
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: United | Delta | MileagePlus, Marriott
Thank you!

I'll definitely check out the Touristanbul tours.
Would you know when I should leave Istanbul to get back? e.g. 3 hours before flight departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.