Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by lax01
Flying into IST from US to transfer internationally to Rome...have a 2 hour layover Friday evening. Any chance we are going to have time to hit a lounge before our flight to Rome? Assuming we don't go through Customs/Immigration...but based on what I'm hearing in this thread, it could take an hour to go through security check-points at IST?

It's a 13 hour flight into IST so I was hoping to hit a lounge before heading to Rome...

Thanks in advance!
If you are arriving from the US and connect to Italy, you don’t have to clear security or immigration. You should be able to spend some time at the lounge if your flight arrives on time.
If it’s a shower you want, go downstairs, the wait is often shorter there.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

If you are arriving from the US and connect to Italy, you don’t have to clear security or immigration. You should be able to spend some time at the lounge if your flight arrives on time.
If it’s a shower you want, go downstairs, the wait is often shorter there.

No security? I saw some contradicting info that it depended how you departed the arrival plane in IST...we both have Priority Pass so looking to use the CIP or HSBC lounge...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
No security?
Yes...but if you’re confused enough to take a few wrong turns at IST as well, then you may find yourself in the security line by your own fault.

I saw some contradicting info that it depended how you departed the arrival plane in IST
That info is either wrong or you misunderstood what context this could happen in.

...we both have Priority Pass so looking to use the CIP or HSBC lounge...
I’m not familiar with PP, but am not sure it will cut it at the TK CIP lounge, sorry.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Even if you have to clear boarding pass and transfer security checks to get to the departure level, you will have plenty of time to visit the lounge (any lounge that will accept your PP - I have no knowledge of this) with a scheduled 2 hour layover.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:06 am

No security? I saw some contradicting info that it depended how you departed the arrival plane in IST...we both have Priority Pass so looking to use the CIP or HSBC lounge...
Whether or not you have to go through security when you transfer at IST does depend on the origin of your arrival; arrivals from the US are usually spared, but this can be erratic at times, and as mentioned, you can easily find yourself in the wrong path and end up at security. It's usually not a big deal, and will only add a few more minutes, that's all.

I hope you realize you won't be allowed into the Turkish Airlines CIP lounge. I'm not familiar with other lounges at IST, but I would keep my expectations low.

Shuly
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Assuming the poster is not traveling in J which is why he is mentioning PP? My favorite PP lounge at IST is the primeclass lounge (opposite end of TK lounge), though depending on gates and what not, you may not have much time there. I'd skip the HSBC lounge, it's tiny and the food and alcohol provided are fairly unimpressive.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Even if you have to clear boarding pass and transfer security checks to get to the departure level, you will have plenty of time to visit the lounge (any lounge that will accept your PP - I have no knowledge of this) with a scheduled 2 hour layover.
Thanks! Makes sense!

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Yes...but if you’re confused enough to take a few wrong turns at IST as well, then you may find yourself in the security line by your own fault.
That info is either wrong or you misunderstood what context this could happen in.
I’m not familiar with PP, but am not sure it will cut it at the TK CIP lounge, sorry.
Totally possible I misunderstood/misread something ...not TK CIP...didn't even realize there would be TWO lounges with "CIP" in the name. I was talking about the Primeclass CIP Lounge found here.

Originally Posted by shuly
Whether or not you have to go through security when you transfer at IST does depend on the origin of your arrival; arrivals from the US are usually spared, but this can be erratic at times, and as mentioned, you can easily find yourself in the wrong path and end up at security. It's usually not a big deal, and will only add a few more minutes, that's all.

I hope you realize you won't be allowed into the Turkish Airlines CIP lounge. I'm not familiar with other lounges at IST, but I would keep my expectations low.
Fully aware about the TA lounges....I was referring to the lounges listed here. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Sinter
Assuming the poster is not traveling in J which is why he is mentioning PP? My favorite PP lounge at IST is the primeclass lounge (opposite end of TK lounge), though depending on gates and what not, you may not have much time there. I'd skip the HSBC lounge, it's tiny and the food and alcohol provided are fairly unimpressive.
Correct - any feedback on the other two PP-available lounges? The Comfort Lounge and Comfort Lounge II?

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
I honestly haven't checked out the Comfort Lounge and I believe Comfort Lounge II was just added as a PP lounge. Unsure when you're flying out, but I plan to check them out the following Sunday and can report back.

Primeclass is spacious though and has a ton of seating, so even in crowded times you should be good to go. They also have showers, but I haven't tried them out so can't comment on quality or cleanliness.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sinter
I honestly haven't checked out the Comfort Lounge and I believe Comfort Lounge II was just added as a PP lounge. Unsure when you're flying out, but I plan to check them out the following Sunday and can report back.

Primeclass is spacious though and has a ton of seating, so even in crowded times you should be good to go. They also have showers, but I haven't tried them out so can't comment on quality or cleanliness.
Appreciate it...I'll check it out on Friday...will report back after the trip
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:09 pm

I'm planning to fly from Madrid to Belgrade with a stop in Istanbul. There is a flight that departs at 12:15PM and lands in Istanbul at 6:35PM. Flight from Istanbul to Belgrade departs at 7:50PM (so a layover of 1 hour 15 minutes). Should I be concern with missing this flight? The other option is to leave Istanbul the next morning at 8:20AM (so a 14 hour layover).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
I'm planning to fly from Madrid to Belgrade with a stop in Istanbul. There is a flight that departs at 12:15PM and lands in Istanbul at 6:35PM. Flight from Istanbul to Belgrade departs at 7:50PM (so a layover of 1 hour 15 minutes). Should I be concern with missing this flight? The other option is to leave Istanbul the next morning at 8:20AM (so a 14 hour layover).
Let TK make the decision for you. book the same day connection, and if you don't make it you'll be put on the next day's flight.

But seriously, if your flight into Istanbul is on time, the connection window is fine - though not fine enough you can hang about!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
My family will be flying into IST on Jan 5th at 6:10 am and our connecting flight is 14 hours later (fingers crossed that TK operations isn't transferred to new ISL Airport by then). If we check our luggages at the originating airport straight through to our final destination, will we need to claim them at IST (we are planning to join the tour)?

Also, can we go to the CIP lounge first (we are flying business class), put our carry-on in the storage lockers, then leave the lounge and clear customs to join the tour, and then retrieve our carry-on from the CIP lounge just before our departing flight?

We appreciate anyone sharing their insights or prior experiences. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:30 am

No problem at all to check through on such layover.

Personally, I'd say the chance that luggage gets lost on LONG layovers like this is slightly larger (it's stored somewhere, rather than directly transfered) so make sure to have enough clothes in your carry-on.

You CAN store your stuff at the CIP lounge and head back, but this will require an additional security check (if arriving unclean) - if arriving clean, no extra check (you'll need to head back - one level down - through security in the wrong way, then pass through regular arrival immigration) BUT it's officially not allowed. But considering the amount of people using the CIP lounge, I doubt they'd notice.

The weekend 5th/6th weekend is one of the most busy times in IST, by the way. I've done the transfer at those dates before 2 times, IST is even more a zoo than usually on that weekend. (Holidays in Europe ending)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
No problem at all to check through on such layover.

Personally, I'd say the chance that luggage gets lost on LONG layovers like this is slightly larger (it's stored somewhere, rather than directly transfered) so make sure to have enough clothes in your carry-on.

You CAN store your stuff at the CIP lounge and head back, but this will require an additional security check (if arriving unclean) - if arriving clean, no extra check (you'll need to head back - one level down - through security in the wrong way, then pass through regular arrival immigration) BUT it's officially not allowed. But considering the amount of people using the CIP lounge, I doubt they'd notice.

The weekend 5th/6th weekend is one of the most busy times in IST, by the way. I've done the transfer at those dates before 2 times, IST is even more a zoo than usually on that weekend. (Holidays in Europe ending)
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew the risks of transferring that weekend, just hoping the New ISL Airport won't also enter the equation.

I think to make things easier, we'll just check our luggages straight through and clear immigration and customs with our carry-on then just pay to store them landside.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by YYT82

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew the risks of transferring that weekend, just hoping the New ISL Airport won't also enter the equation.

I think to make things easier, we'll just check our luggages straight through and clear immigration and customs with our carry-on then just pay to store them landside.
If you will not land at ISL, there is an oppurtunity to storage your luggage. It's very next to TK's Hotel Desk, but has nothing to do with TK. They charge you very less in €/$.. after customs just turn right hand and walk straight a head all the way until TK's Hotel Desk (close to Starbucks)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.