Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by axxoo25
If you will not land at ISL, there is an oppurtunity to storage your luggage. It's very next to TK's Hotel Desk, but has nothing to do with TK. They charge you very less in €/$.. after customs just turn right hand and walk straight a head all the way until TK's Hotel Desk (close to Starbucks)
Great info. Thank you very much.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by YYT82

Great info. Thank you very much.
Official website : emanetbagaj.com
Baggage holding in Ataturk Airport next to THY HOTEL DESK.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Short transit time INT-domestic: Sorry, searched for half an hour and can't find it:
I'll be arriving from TXL-IST at midnight, connecting to IST-AYT with 75 minutes between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.
a.) Can I use the fast track transfer between international and domestic (or can I use it when I have less than 60 minutes once I arrive there)
b.) where is that fast track between INTL and domestic / how to find it
c.) for anyone who can not use it because there'S still a little more time: IST domestic should have a separate C class entrance with separate security fast track. I'Ve used IST domestic terminal twice, but never found it. Where is that C class fast track and can elite / elite + use it?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by zap7
Short transit time INT-domestic: Sorry, searched for half an hour and can't find it:
I'll be arriving from TXL-IST at midnight, connecting to IST-AYT with 75 minutes between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.
a.) Can I use the fast track transfer between international and domestic (or can I use it when I have less than 60 minutes once I arrive there)
b.) where is that fast track between INTL and domestic / how to find it
c.) for anyone who can not use it because there'S still a little more time: IST domestic should have a separate C class entrance with separate security fast track. I'Ve used IST domestic terminal twice, but never found it. Where is that C class fast track and can elite / elite + use it?

Thanks!
a- Probably you would be able to use the fast-track international-domestic transfer lane as it's a tight connection, I don't think anyone would redirect you to the regular immigration counters.
b- The fast track between International arrivals and Domestic departures is located near gate 201 at the arrivals level. After arriving try to find gates 201-204 which would lead you to these counters. As I remember, there is limited signage for the connection area between international arrivals and domestic departures.
c- It's located between domestic arrivals and international arrivals at landside. It also has access from the landside transfer tunnel between domestic and international terminals. This fast-track directly leads to the lounge so if you're eligible to enter the lounge you should be able to use it. ( In your case M&S Elite/Elite Plus & Star Gold could use it ). Just another note that there is no access to the domestic priority entrance and the domestic lounge from the international arrivals-domestic departures transfer area. To access the lounges you must clear immigration in the regular area, exit from the baggage claim area, turn left and follow the domestic terminal signage, while on the way you would see elevators to TK Domestic Business Class Check-in & Direct Lounge Access area. That's the only way to access the domestic lounge ( priority zone ) from inside the terminal.

Also if you decide to use the international arrivals-domestic departures transfer area, you would directly be in the domestic departures hall and you would not be able to use your M&S Elite benefits inside the terminal. If you have Priority Pass there are several lounges at the upper level but as I mentioned before there is no access to the TK Domestic Lounge from the domestic terminal. As Business & Star Gold passengers directly board from the lounge, you may not be able to use your Priority Boarding privilege as well as this depends from flight to flight.
zap7 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver
Hi all! I'm new here so sorry if one of you already replied to something I ask, but I had a few questions! I'm flying LIS-IST-BEY and returning BEY-IST-LIS on the 2nd of January 2019.
  1. Should we expect to transit on the new IST airport?
  2. Is our 1:50h connecting time enough for the lounge?
  3. Is there priority security for transfer pax? If security is needed at all?
Thank you!!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:51 am

1. Most would answer "no"- including myself.
2. If on-time arrival, then yes
3. Arriving from BEY, there will be security. There is a fast track (depending on the arrival time, it might be needed or not, you'll quickly notice)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question 8 hour IST layover for city tour

Hi all,'m flying ORD-FRA-IST-JNB this coming week with an 8hr layover in Istanbul. Does anyone have general advice i.e exiting the airport, getting to the city, and back through security for a 1:55am flight?

I'll be entering without a visa on a Swiss passport (Swiss don't need one apparently). Extra carry-ons will be stored in the IST airport lockers. I was planning to just take an Uber to the downtown area, thoughts on that? I've figured on leaving for IST again in the evening about 3 hours before the outbound flight.

Thanks for any insights, previous experiences, or things I might've left out!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Hi all,'m flying ORD-FRA-IST-JNB this coming week with an 8hr layover in Istanbul. Does anyone have general advice i.e exiting the airport, getting to the city, and back through security for a 1:55am flight?

I'll be entering without a visa on a Swiss passport (Swiss don't need one apparently). Extra carry-ons will be stored in the IST airport lockers. I was planning to just take an Uber to the downtown area, thoughts on that? I've figured on leaving for IST again in the evening about 3 hours before the outbound flight.

Thanks for any insights, previous experiences, or things I might've left out!
As you are scheduled to arrive around 16:00, there are many options to do in the city. Just a quick note that touristic spots such as the Hagia Sophia or the Topkapı Palace would close at 17:00. But if you like to walk and explore the old town, go for it. If you don't like walking you could go take a Bosphorus Tour which would take 1 hours 30 minutes and have a dinner in the city. If you like shopping ( any kind, luxury, discount, medium-range ); I could suggest the best shopping mall that fits to you. Or if you have any other ideas, I could assist you.

Just be aware that Uber is illegal in Turkey and they don't have an operational license in Turkey. If you're caught by the police while on the Uber vehicle, you could be facing a penalty fee around ₺300-₺400. Also don't trust the VIP city shuttles which wait tourists at the arrivals level at the terminal. They overcharge tourists that don't know the city. Airport taxis are one of the best solution to go around but be aware that there is no flat fee at taxis at Istanbul and all rides are based on the taximeter. If the driver offers you to pay a flat fare or asks you to pay in foreign currencies other than TRY (₺) be sure that he is trying to overcharge you. While returning to the airport also be aware that there are unscrupulous taxi drivers in the city that only accept tourists and overcharge them. For more information about the taxis in Istanbul you could contact me by private message. Another option is that you could use the public transportation system in Istanbul which is very cheap and no one would try to overcharge you in this option.

If you have lounge access arriving 3 hours before the flight would be perfect but if not I would suggest arriving 1h30 minutes before departure as you would have your boarding pass. At that time in the night immigration and security lines won't be that long.

Wish that you have a great time in Istanbul
CollegeFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:02 pm

I strongly advise to enter Turkey with your Swiss ID. No stamp that might be bothersome..
CollegeFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
a- Probably you would be able to use the fast-track international-domestic transfer lane as it's a tight connection, I don't think anyone would redirect you to the regular immigration counters.
b- The fast track between International arrivals and Domestic departures is located near gate 201 at the arrivals level. After arriving try to find gates 201-204 which would lead you to these counters. As I remember, there is limited signage for the connection area between international arrivals and domestic departures.
c- It's located between domestic arrivals and international arrivals at landside. It also has access from the landside transfer tunnel between domestic and international terminals. This fast-track directly leads to the lounge so if you're eligible to enter the lounge you should be able to use it. ( In your case M&S Elite/Elite Plus & Star Gold could use it ). Just another note that there is no access to the domestic priority entrance and the domestic lounge from the international arrivals-domestic departures transfer area. To access the lounges you must clear immigration in the regular area, exit from the baggage claim area, turn left and follow the domestic terminal signage, while on the way you would see elevators to TK Domestic Business Class Check-in & Direct Lounge Access area. That's the only way to access the domestic lounge ( priority zone ) from inside the terminal.

Also if you decide to use the international arrivals-domestic departures transfer area, you would directly be in the domestic departures hall and you would not be able to use your M&S Elite benefits inside the terminal. If you have Priority Pass there are several lounges at the upper level but as I mentioned before there is no access to the TK Domestic Lounge from the domestic terminal. As Business & Star Gold passengers directly board from the lounge, you may not be able to use your Priority Boarding privilege as well as this depends from flight to flight.
thanks a Lot - travelling without a break to breathe this week and you made my day! This will help me to arrive relaxed and make my connection to get 6 hours of sleep tomorrow :-)

Last edited by zap7; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I've haken Taxis in Istanbul About 50 times - Rates are very affordable and drivers have been friendly and honest every time. Make Sure to get some turkish liras from the ATMs (After you exit Baggage claim/customs, turn right. They'll be on your right, walk to the end of the Hall for Tour istanbul / tk hotel desk, then turn left to exit and you'll be AT the taxi queue).try to find an english speaking driver, otherwise fake the next taxi.

When you return and the Terminal is in Front of you: walk all the was to the left to get TK C priority security (short queue), inside the Terminal turn left and walk towards the end to enter TK lounge directly (priority fast track passport + second security, never took more than 4 minutes for me, TK C and elite+ only)
CollegeFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:18 am

Sorry if this has been asked, but my search does not If connecting from an international flight to a domestic flight:

1. Will checked bags go all the way to the domestic destination? Does this depend on whether the flights are on a single ticket? (I.e. - we are arriving on MS, departing on TK - I would expect, given both being alliance partners, MS should check our bags through)

2. Given a long enough connection time - can we visit the TK lounge in the intl. area, before going through immigration etc into domestic?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:25 am

1. It depends on whether the final destination has customs. Most domestic stations do, a few smaller ones don't. This holds for TK-TK connections. On MS-TK, I guess it also depends on the good will of the check-in agent in CAI.
2. I've done it before, as have others here, so it should definitely be worth your while to try.

Shuly
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:41 pm

Do you know if Kayseri (ASR) has customs?

Depends on a goodwill of an agent at YYZ, actually So far every time I've asked for bags to be checked through between *A partners, there was no issue, so fingers crossed.

There was a post/guide on this forum before talking about how to visit the lounge first, and then go out through immigration, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

P.S. I like your location airport code - but does it ever have any commercial flights?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
Do you know if Kayseri (ASR) has customs?

Depends on a goodwill of an agent at YYZ, actually So far every time I've asked for bags to be checked through between *A partners, there was no issue, so fingers crossed.

There was a post/guide on this forum before talking about how to visit the lounge first, and then go out through immigration, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

P.S. I like your location airport code - but does it ever have any commercial flights?
-Yes Kayseri Erkilet Airport (ASR) has customs
-You should be able to check your luggage to your final destination if Kayseri is your final destination.
-Unfortunately, you won't be able to access the international lounge as you won't be admitted to the international departures airside without a valid same day international boarding pass. There is a boarding pass control after arriving at the jetbridge or at the bus drop point to access airside without additional security screening. But, you could clear immigration, head in to the domestic lounge and then exit that lounge and then re-enter before your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.