Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by teahan
Passengers arriving from the US are considered clean (and comply with one-stop security requirements), while passengers arriving from Dubai are not.

Although Turkey is not a one stop-security country, IST airport is practical enough to not re-screen passengers from one stop-security countries. I wish there were more like this.
So the UK is not a one-stop security country? I've had to re-screen every time arriving for a connecting flight at IST on TK from LHR or LGW.

ZT
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
List ?

Passengers arriving from the US are considered clean (and comply with one-stop security requirements), while passengers arriving from Dubai are not.

Although Turkey is not a one stop-security country, IST airport is practical enough to not re-screen passengers from one stop-security countries. I wish there were more like this.
Thanks..Is there a published list of these one stop security countries ?
How do you know about this ? Is this a known program ?

F.A.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by zontar2010
So the UK is not a one-stop security country? I've had to re-screen every time arriving for a connecting flight at IST on TK from LHR or LGW.

ZT
The UK unfortunately refuses to implement one-stop security for passengers connecting at UK airports. However, passengers from the UK should be treated as "clean" when arriving at airports that segregate non-Schegen "clean" passengers including passengers from the US (but not Canada).

Some EU airports unfortunately bundle Schengen & "clean", meaning if you arrive from the US, UK or non-Schengen EU countries (Bulgaria for example), you will be screened again.

I don't know why IST would re-screen UK arrivals. Were you just unlucky?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Given recent events, I can see plenty of reasons.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Does Dublin have one stop security?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by chris19992
Does Dublin have one stop security?
No additional security required when flying from DUB via IST, just walk to the gate (or lounge)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by starflyergold
No additional security required when flying from DUB via IST, just walk to the gate (or lounge)
Excellent news
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by flyalways
My understanding is that it's still somewhat arbitrary. Having landed in IST about twenty times in the last year, half of them from a single origin, I have about 50% luck skipping security. I gave up on finding a pattern.

Shuly
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Given recent events, I can see plenty of reasons.
I cannot see what an additional security screening would help even with recent events (remember it does not involve a passport check).
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
My understanding is that it's still somewhat arbitrary. Having landed in IST about twenty times in the last year, half of them from a single origin, I have about 50% luck skipping security. I gave up on finding a pattern.

Shuly
Sometimes it's forgotten and you have to specifically ask to be let directly into the departure lounge (it has happened a few times). This is only possible when you arrive at a jetway.

"Clean" bus arrivals have a dedicated drop-off point and maybe I have been very lucky, but this has always been used when I have arrived from the EU.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
The EU countries and the United States. Negotiations with Canada have been going on for a long-time.

Countries implement it differently. The UK is a one-stop country but still has national requirements to screen all connecting passengers. In Ireland, Dublin screens almost all connecting passengers, but this is due to the airport design rather than requirements (if you are lucky enough to both arrive and depart from DUB's Pier A, you will probably avoid screening).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Going through security at every transit point is a big hassle. Why can't these countries all trust each other's security measures ? It would make connecting so much easier and hassle free, maybe more time to dine and shop around...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:06 pm

Is Qatar considered clean or dirty by Turkish?
I'm inbound from DOH to IST, and have 1:40 to make the flight to LHR.
I thought this was plenty of time, and last time doing LHR-IST-DOH just walked UP the ramp at arrival from LHR to get straight into the secure area. Not even a BP check.
But I'm getting nervous about doing it in reverse. Checking the past couple of weeks, the QR flights have a habit of arriving in IST late, and having previously experienced the charming TK customer service after missing a connection, I never want to deal with them again. Ever.
And this time the flights are on different PNR, so I have no connection protection. Hand luggage only though.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
The UK unfortunately refuses to implement one-stop security for passengers connecting at UK airports. However, passengers from the UK should be treated as "clean" when arriving at airports that segregate non-Schegen "clean" passengers including passengers from the US (but not Canada).

Some EU airports unfortunately bundle Schengen & "clean", meaning if you arrive from the US, UK or non-Schengen EU countries (Bulgaria for example), you will be screened again.

All times that I have arrived from UK (LHR/LGW) we have parked at the outer ramp and been bussed in and have been re-screened before heading on. Inbound from FRU - IST (BISHKEK KYRGYZSTAN), parked at jetway ->no security... Straight to lounge then onwards back to the UK, interesting.

ZT
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
A suggestion..

Originally Posted by lorkers
Is Qatar considered clean or dirty by Turkish?
I'm inbound from DOH to IST, and have 1:40 to make the flight to LHR.
I thought this was plenty of time, and last time doing LHR-IST-DOH just walked UP the ramp at arrival from LHR to get straight into the secure area. Not even a BP check.
But I'm getting nervous about doing it in reverse. Checking the past couple of weeks, the QR flights have a habit of arriving in IST late, and having previously experienced the charming TK customer service after missing a connection, I never want to deal with them again. Ever.
And this time the flights are on different PNR, so I have no connection protection. Hand luggage only though.
In fact my suggestion would be to CHECK a bag to LHR in DOH. If TK is
allowing you to check the bag to LHR even if they are on two PNRs. This
will mean the bag will be automatically transferred and loaded to your
LHR flight. They may then HAVE to wait for you to connect ! If not they
have to go through the process of removing the bags if you are unable to
board :-)

Just a suggestion....!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.