Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: AC E35/BA Bronze
I am flying GYD - IST - DUB next month with a 9 hour layover in IST. Does anyone know if I'm going to have pick-up my luggage and re-check it the following morning? I was hoping to just crash at the hotel which is airside so I don't need to worry about visa's etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by yxxmike
I am flying GYD - IST - DUB next month with a 9 hour layover in IST. Does anyone know if I'm going to have pick-up my luggage and re-check it the following morning? I was hoping to just crash at the hotel which is airside so I don't need to worry about visa's etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
If it is on one PNR no, it'll get checked through.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:11 am

Transit in IST

Hi there, I will be transiting in IST early next month, and will have a 2h transit time in the early morning.

I do have *G and therefore should be eligible to use the CIP lounge? and is there any fast track facilities for *G members in IST? (I read that if transit security line is long it might be faster to enter Turkey and use the fast track entrance to the lounge?)

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:02 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by timesup
Hi there, I will be transiting in IST early next month, and will have a 2h transit time in the early morning.

I do have *G and therefore should be eligible to use the CIP lounge? and is there any fast track facilities for *G members in IST? (I read that if transit security line is long it might be faster to enter Turkey and use the fast track entrance to the lounge?)

Thanks!
Welcome to FT timesup ^

I had a connection of 1h45m last week and managed to use the lounge. If you transit you don't necessarily have to clear security again. I didn't on a flight from Ireland to South Africa. And yes as *G you can use the lounge.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Which Lounge in IST

I have a 4 hour layover at IST. I have Priority Pass Membership. I can have access to 2 lounges at IST.

Primeclass Cip Lounge
or
Hsbc Club Lounge
Which is the better lounge of the two.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:00 am

Hi everyone-

Thanks in advance for your advice and help. This is my first time transferring in Istanbul...

I have the following itinerary for transferring in Istanbul...

ATH - IST on Turkish airlines

1 hour and 35 minute layover

IST - IAH on Turkish airlines

Will 95 minutes be enough time to make my connecting flight? From my reading of the forums, I believe I won't have to go through Immigration, but will have to go through security again? Is that correct?

Both flights are business class tickets...Don't know if that will help my cause at all and get me through the security lines, if there are any?

Thanks again everyone!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Will 95 minutes be enough time to make my connecting flight? From my reading of the forums, I believe I won't have to go through Immigration, but will have to go through security again? Is that correct?
95 minutes should be enough if your incoming flight is on time. No need to go through immigration. Going through security may or may not be needed, it's hard to predict. If you do find yourself waiting in line for security, check whether there's a designated express queue for business class passengers (there usually is).

If you could leave more time you'd be able to enjoy the lounge in IST, one of the best business lounges in the world.

Shuly
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Thumbs up 1st biz class on TK - transiting in IST to KTM & CCU

Booked from YUL to IST - 5 hour layover before continuing onward to KTM again on TK. Both segments on the new A330-300 business class. All part of a reward ticket I carefully researched here on FT for months (lol) to get the max out of my Aeroplan *A award mileage balance.

Looking forward to 5 hours in this awesome IST business lounge in January
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by mgn2000
I have a 4 hour layover at IST. I have Priority Pass Membership. I can have access to 2 lounges at IST.

Primeclass Cip Lounge
or
Hsbc Club Lounge
Which is the better lounge of the two.
The HSBC is a more intimate setting--it has a nice view of the main concourse on the international side from a second floor panoramic window. I've never seen it particularly crowded. There is a self-service bar with a decent selection of beer, wine, & harder booze.

The Primeclass lounge is below the food court. Go down the escalator and take a left--you'll see glass doors waiting for you. The main advantage to this lounge is the availability of showers. It is bigger, but depending on what time of day you go, it can get a little crowded. There is a big bar with a bartender. The selection is slightly better, but about the same as the HSBC. There is also a kids room. Food is slightly better here than at the HSBC lounge.

I generally go to the CIP, but if its too crowded, you have another option in HSBC.

Don't neglect to 'sample' some of the Turkish delights and rakı in the duty-free section!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
The HSBC is a more intimate setting--it has a nice view of the main concourse on the international side from a second floor panoramic window. I've never seen it particularly crowded. There is a self-service bar with a decent selection of beer, wine, & harder booze.

The Primeclass lounge is below the food court. Go down the escalator and take a left--you'll see glass doors waiting for you. The main advantage to this lounge is the availability of showers. It is bigger, but depending on what time of day you go, it can get a little crowded. There is a big bar with a bartender. The selection is slightly better, but about the same as the HSBC. There is also a kids room. Food is slightly better here than at the HSBC lounge.

I generally go to the CIP, but if its too crowded, you have another option in HSBC.

Don't neglect to 'sample' some of the Turkish delights and rakı in the duty-free section!
Txs. for the reply. Maybe I will try both.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Connection from International arrival at IST to domestic depature

We have a QR flight DOH-IST arriving at 13:10pm, and we want to depart the same day IST-ADA.

Origination is JNB-DOH arriving DOH at 5:35am then connect to DOH-IST at 9:30am arriving IST at 13:10pm. Both segments are on QR business.

I understand we need to clear immigration and custom as IST being the first port of entry and we will stay in Turkey for the next 12 days.

We hold HKSAR passports which do not require visa to enter Turkey for 3 months if this helps.

Currently TK has a 15:45 departure to ADA and a 17:00 departure.

Really prefer the 15:45 flight which would let us arrive ADA hopefully still with a bit of daylight - we will pick up a rental car and drive to our hotel Sheraton which is only a few kms from airport by the river. We have a Tom Tom GPS that should help.

Is the 15:45 flight too tight to connect to? I have not bought the domestic tickets yet.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by Happy
We have a QR flight DOH-IST arriving at 13:10pm, and we want to depart the same day IST-ADA.

Origination is JNB-DOH arriving DOH at 5:35am then connect to DOH-IST at 9:30am arriving IST at 13:10pm. Both segments are on QR business.

I understand we need to clear immigration and custom as IST being the first port of entry and we will stay in Turkey for the next 12 days.

We hold HKSAR passports which do not require visa to enter Turkey for 3 months if this helps.

Currently TK has a 15:45 departure to ADA and a 17:00 departure.

Really prefer the 15:45 flight which would let us arrive ADA hopefully still with a bit of daylight - we will pick up a rental car and drive to our hotel Sheraton which is only a few kms from airport by the river. We have a Tom Tom GPS that should help.

Is the 15:45 flight too tight to connect to? I have not bought the domestic tickets yet.

Thanks for suggestions.
Depends on how long the queue is for customs. I would book 15:45 flight and see what happens. If you are star gold alliance or can otherwise can access to the TK domestic lounge in Istanbul, it is not a bad few hours to wait, separate security, and they have VIP shuttle. Heck of a day(s) flying though, so I understand why you want the earlier flight.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bozzie4
Depends on how long the queue is for customs. I would book 15:45 flight and see what happens. If you are star gold alliance or can otherwise can access to the TK domestic lounge in Istanbul, it is not a bad few hours to wait, separate security, and they have VIP shuttle. Heck of a day(s) flying though, so I understand why you want the earlier flight.
Yeah, the day starts from CPT with a very long layover at JNB (have lounges to choose from luckily), followed by 8+ hours JNB-DOH, 2+ hours layover then DOH-IST for another 4+ hours flight.

Not star gold but has Priority Pass as well as Lounge Club and I see there is a Primeclass lounge at domestic terminal. I am sure it is not as nice as TK's own lounge. The one at the international terminal is very nice by the way. We used it last June flying TK MXP-IST-YYZ and quite enjoyed our 2 hours there.

May be a rest in the Prime lounge then take the 17:00 flight is not a bad idea.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 14, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Have booked IaH-IST-vie on TK with a 50min connection in IST. Would that be enough time? Flying J, not sure if that would help.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:20 pm

Hello Everyone! I love reading the advice on this site and this is my first time posting!

In Oct I'm looking to fly SFO-IST-DLM. DLM is a domestic Turkey airport.

I've book SFO-IST on TK (J class using UA miles) and will either book the IST-DLM directly with TK or by using UA miles (depends on which flight you suggest). My flight arrives IST at 5:05pm. There's a TK flight that departs for DLM at 6:30pm and another that departs at 9:45pm. I know the safe thing to do would be to book the 9:45pm flight. Is it crazy to try and make a 1 hour and 25 minute connection? I'm hoping our bags will be checked all the way through and I'm not sure if we'll get BP for DLM in SFO or if we'll have to get it in IST...

If I did book that and missed it, would I have to purchase new tickets or would they re-book on the later flight if there's availability? I'm trying to avoid the 5 hour layover but I guess I could use the TK arrivals lounge for a bit and then the domestic CIP lounge...

Thanks for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.