Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:23 am

Deja-vu...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...t-segment.html

Shuly
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Flying BDL-PHL-FRA-IST-ADA tomorrow on LH and TK Tickets. BDL-PHL-FRA-IST is on LH and IST-ADA is on the TK ticket. I'm assuming that I can check my bags all the way through, and do not have to claim them in IST based on what I've read in this thread. I guess I have to clear Immigration, I do not have a Visa at this time US Citizen, are they available at the airport? It's a business trip, I'm joining a Ship in Mersin so some of the details are handled there. I'm flying cattle class.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Transferring/Transit in Istanbul

Hoping someone might be able to help with my situation. Currently booked today, Dec. 18 BOM-IST-YYZ. Flight leaving BOM is already delayed two hours - inbound from IST departed 2.5 hours late.

My connection time in IST is now a little over 1 hour, which I assume should be sufficient assuming no further delays. However, if it gets delayed further, I might be a little worried.

If I don't make the connection, what happens. Would TK put me on the nonstop AC flight (leaves one hour later than TK) if I could make that? If no, or the delay causes me to miss that, what are my other options?

Since I am connecting, I don't have a turkish e-visa. Is it worth it to try and apply for that online in case - I could probably do it at the lounge in BOM if it is quick enough to get within an hour or two - , I could print the confirmation there.

Also, booked in Comfort onward from IST. If I do get re-booked in regular Y on another flight/carrier, any opinions on what to ask for for the downgrade (since I assume there is zero chance of getting rebooked in business instead).

Appreciate any assistance.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Hoping someone might be able to help with my situation. Currently booked today, Dec. 18 BOM-IST-YYZ. Flight leaving BOM is already delayed two hours - inbound from IST departed 2.5 hours late.

My connection time in IST is now a little over 1 hour, which I assume should be sufficient assuming no further delays. However, if it gets delayed further, I might be a little worried.

If I don't make the connection, what happens. Would TK put me on the nonstop AC flight (leaves one hour later than TK) if I could make that? If no, or the delay causes me to miss that, what are my other options?

Since I am connecting, I don't have a turkish e-visa. Is it worth it to try and apply for that online in case - I could probably do it at the lounge in BOM if it is quick enough to get within an hour or two - , I could print the confirmation there.

Also, booked in Comfort onward from IST. If I do get re-booked in regular Y on another flight/carrier, any opinions on what to ask for for the downgrade (since I assume there is zero chance of getting rebooked in business instead).

Appreciate any assistance.

I hour for connection is a (big) gamble.
If you have your connecting BP you should be able to make it as long the lines for transit security are not to bad. ( small change )
Don't forget boarding start at least 30 mins before departure.
If you don't have the BP i don't think you will make it.

If you miss your connection TK will try you to rebook on the next TK flight. You can ask for the AC flight i don't give you much change.

If the plane does not have Comfort you will be downgraded to economy.
No change of Business Class instead.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by merijn
I hour for connection is a (big) gamble.
If you have your connecting BP you should be able to make it as long the lines for transit security are not to bad. ( small change )
Don't forget boarding start at least 30 mins before departure.
If you don't have the BP i don't think you will make it.

If you miss your connection TK will try you to rebook on the next TK flight. You can ask for the AC flight i don't give you much change.

If the plane does not have Comfort you will be downgraded to economy.
No change of Business Class instead.
Thanks.

Turns out it wasn't so close. While the departure did leave 2 hours late (and the arrival time always showed it would be 2 hours late), we ended up arriving only 1 hour behind schedule. It took about 25 minutes to get through transit security (using *G line) and back into the departures area, plus my connection was delayed a half hour anyway.

So after getting through, I still had 2 hours until departure time - I simply ignored the "go to gate" sign on the departure board, and headed to the CIP lounge for a bit since even the scheduled departure time was still another hour and a half.

On the other hand, getting to the transit area was thoroughly confusing and needs way better signage. There seems to be two different areas one can go through - I waited in line in the first (right next to where immigration is) since I didn't know there was another one - then at the front told I was told for YYZ, I had to keep walking.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thanks.

Turns out it wasn't so close. While the departure did leave 2 hours late (and the arrival time always showed it would be 2 hours late), we ended up arriving only 1 hour behind schedule. It took about 25 minutes to get through transit security (using *G line) and back into the departures area, plus my connection was delayed a half hour anyway.

So after getting through, I still had 2 hours until departure time - I simply ignored the "go to gate" sign on the departure board, and headed to the CIP lounge for a bit since even the scheduled departure time was still another hour and a half.

On the other hand, getting to the transit area was thoroughly confusing and needs way better signage. There seems to be two different areas one can go through - I waited in line in the first (right next to where immigration is) since I didn't know there was another one - then at the front told I was told for YYZ, I had to keep walking.
Thanks for the feedback.
There are indeed 2 transit security areas (3 if you include the one at the bus arrival section) Where you send away from the transit security line ? And was the fast track (business and G ) open as i my experience this is always closed ?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:31 am

I'm flying TLV-IST-DUB mid April, both flights with TK. Connection time is 1 hour 10 min (12:05-13:15). After reading through this thread I understand I should get the BP for DUB already in TLV, which I'll try to do. Assuming I have it, what do you think are my chances of making the connection? Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by angevine
I'm flying TLV-IST-DUB mid April, both flights with TK. Connection time is 1 hour 10 min (12:05-13:15). After reading through this thread I understand I should get the BP for DUB already in TLV, which I'll try to do. Assuming I have it, what do you think are my chances of making the connection? Thanks.
Welcome to FT and the TK Miles&Smiles forum angevine

I assume your flights are on one PNR? While not a generous connection you should be able to make it as long as there are no delays. If there are delays and you are on one PNR you will get rebooked on the next flight. (There are two flights to DUB daily, one leaving at 7.30 and one at 13.15h)
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Welcome to FT and the TK Miles&Smiles forum angevine

I assume your flights are on one PNR? While not a generous connection you should be able to make it as long as there are no delays. If there are delays and you are on one PNR you will get rebooked on the next flight. (There are two flights to DUB daily, one leaving at 7.30 and one at 13.15h)
Thanks for the quick reply, starflyergold.

Yes, the 2 flights have the same PNR. I am preparing myself then for the possibility of having to stay one night in Instanbul (could be worse...). In that case is TK obliged to pay for it?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:48 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks for the quick reply, starflyergold.

Yes, the 2 flights have the same PNR. I am preparing myself then for the possibility of having to stay one night in Instanbul (could be worse...). In that case is TK obliged to pay for it?
Either that or they might reroute you on another carrier (though they are the only one plying IST-DUB direct)
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Either that or they might reroute you on another carrier (though they are the only one plying IST-DUB direct)
OK, thanks very much, for the warm welcome as well.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
IST Connection

I recently made a KTM-IST-ORD connection of 1 hour in IST Ataturk. You should be able to make this somewhat tight but legal connection.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:32 am

The TLV flights tend to be on time, and 1:10 should be enough. Yes, you will get your onward BP in TLV (or check in on-line and print it yourself).

The main obstacle is that you have to go through security in IST, on every connection. Lines for security can be really long. If you find yourself in too long a line, and you're afraid you'll miss your connection, go to a staff member and show your onward boarding pass, they should be able to help you cut the line.

And welcome to FT!

Shuly
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by shuly
The TLV flights tend to be on time, and 1:10 should be enough. Yes, you will get your onward BP in TLV (or check in on-line and print it yourself).

The main obstacle is that you have to go through security in IST, on every connection. Lines for security can be really long. If you find yourself in too long a line, and you're afraid you'll miss your connection, go to a staff member and show your onward boarding pass, they should be able to help you cut the line.

And welcome to FT!

Shuly
Thanks, Shuly. This makes me a bit nervous but I hope I'll make it.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: TK Elite
These forums are really a wealth of information to the community, thanks to all the team members for all your hard work and dedication, in the past week or so this forum has helped me already half a dozen times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.